Getting the GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the GA

I don't like getting it early. I prefer getting it in the industrial or modern age. But most times through my build actions or my wars I get a GA earlier than that.

How do I manipulate the conditions so that I won't get a GA until the time is ripe?
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
    Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
    "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Choose a civ that does not have an early Unique Unit.
    Be aware of the ramifications of what great wonders you build.

Considering that your Golden Age is purely a "bonus", I take it as it comes. Sure, you don't get much if you are still a despot, but wonders or the use of your UU is generally more important. You could always build few of your UU and hold them for when you want your GA, but that could prove counter-productive.

Civ is not always about doing things "perfectly". It is more about what you do with the situations handed to you. Shades of grey with the silver lining, and visa versa.

(Not much help, was I).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
      (Not much help, was I).
      Nope, but your advice pretty much sums up all life's ups and downs.
      Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
      "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

America or Germany

GA at the perfect time...
        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

ancient time is too early, because mostly your cities are too small and there aren't many.
          modern times is too late because production is high anyway.
          my favorite time would be in the second half of the middle ages (cavalry replacements, maybe knight or musketeer replacements)
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoStar
            America or Germany

Because of the panzers and the f15s
            Anti-bush and anti-Bush.

Comment

America is a lesser choice, but then again, you'll probably trigger it anyhow by building or capturing the great wonders.
              As to the rest of the comments: a early middle age GA can be very powerful, if used right. ancient ones are less good, but if you think you'll get one mine unshielded grasslands, and hills. This will at least do you some good, as the shield bonus is either not capped, or just diminished by one (a mined hill in despotism still nets you 3 shields) The same is of course true for the bonus resources, like cows...

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by NeoStar
                America or Germany

Not necessarily, in the case of the Americans. There's a couple of early wonders that could set it off. Pyramids and Colossus I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Not necessarily, in the case of the Americans. There's a couple of early wonders that could set it off. Pyramids and Colossus I believe.
                  Yes you're right. I like to play as the Americans quite a bit. Unless I have a great coastal city that the Colossus will really benefit, I won't build it. Pyramids and Copernicus times the GA perfectly with this civ, IMHO.
                  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                  - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Comment

I prefer an early to mid-medieval GA. Japan and China both have useful medieval UU's. Egypt is a good one if you don't mind deliberately avoiding the Pyramids. Egypt's UU can either be used for a war of conquest driven by a GA, or held until later to pick off a wounded unit. Religious/Industrious wonder combos: colossus/hanging gardens, colossus/great wall (though I can't imagine wasting the shields on the GW), HG/Sistine, HG/Bach... or, for a late-game explosion, how about triggering a GA by completing Hoover? Heh.

Some people like the GA early, some like it late. Early can set you up for the rest of the game. Late can put you over the top. Depending on the civ, map conditions, and difficulty level, I think the best GA timing is between the late ancient and late medieval age.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

That's no good-but then again Colossus isn't too important.

I'm thinking the GA will be crucial in multiplayer-usually just take it as it comes against the AI but with a human opponant...it'll win or lose you the war.
                      "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Colossus not important? That only depends on difficulty level, on the higher levels it is one of the only wonders you can actually build without spending a GL on it. And it can be a very nice wonder: loads of culture, and a money and science city up until the start of the modern age. If built at the right city, the colossus can be huge.

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO
                          ...If built at the right city, the colossus can be huge.
                          DeepO
                          Exactly.

I agree, on Deity its a 'freebie' but to get what you talk of you need the right city and you usually have little choice around the time its available. I still see it as a non essential wonder - not like the Great Library, Leonardo's Workshop etc.

Worth an early GA (if thats your civ)? I say not unless you're in trouble.

Comment

Well, all depends on the situation of a particular game, of course. But before we mix things up: on Emperor and above it is close to impossible to build the Pyramids, which means that the Colossus will not trigger the American GA. Further, it is the only wonder that you have a decent shot at, therefore becomes much more important as in the lower levels.

The great library also gives a lot of culture, and is of course better what the effect is concerned, but this too is impossible to build (without a GL). Which makes the Colossus the only wonder that can provide you with extra science, making it very strong. And you can use the extra cash as well

Good cities to build the Colossus: well, any city close to you capital with a river is perfect. Cities with a few bonus food resources and loads of sea are also nice, you need much commerce, nothing else. If you start in the middle of a continent without rivers, forget about it.

DeepO

Comment

Interesting DeepO, maybe indirectly the Colossus has more to it. If I do build it I usually never look for these things, I suppose my style is too warlike...

Originally posted by DeepO
                              ...on Emperor and above it is close to impossible to build the Pyramids... The great library also gives a lot of culture, and is of course better what the effect is concerned, but this too is impossible to build (without a GL)...
                              DeepO
                              Dont completly scare off people from trying emperor+, you can still sometimes get early super cities that make wonders.

But you do usually need early wars-the GL is a lifeline. The GA is good to, but on deity I'll take it almost anytime besides ancient

Comment

Working...
                              X