No announcement yet.

Has anyone finished a 1.29 game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many cities do you have, maybe you haven't reached your maximum number of cities yet? Plus the bonuses to commerce only occur when you have cities and/or metropolises.

as Soren stated the commercial trait is really a late-game trait.

Comment

Maybe you just need to start a NEW game?

Not all changes affect pre-patch games.

Comment

I've finished two games. I second Catt's opinion about tech slowing down. My games suggest it has slowed down a lot on Emperor.

In fact, while I used to set reserch to zero after iron and horses, the AI was so sluggish in the first game that I attempted to out research them in the second game -- and succeeded. That would have been very rare pre-patch. Even got some early wonders.

At the end game, the AI civs had built factories and power plants on a widespread basis. That is a new feature too, isn't it?? This may make them more competitive.

Don't know if they are going to beeline better for the SS techs, but I've got my suspicions that this might have been fixed.

All told, the game is more fun on emperor now, based on two games only. If this proves true, I'll probably stupidly try to play Diety.
        Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

So it seems like the consensus so far is that AI tech trading seems to have slowed down and may be more balanced now, the AI is building offensive units, but no known effect of commercial tweaks. I think I'll play out my game to see what happens.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by =DrJambo=
            how many cities do you have, maybe you haven't reached your maximum number of cities yet? Plus the bonuses to commerce only occur when you have cities and/or metropolises.

as Soren stated the commercial trait is really a late-game trait.
            It was early Industial era with 30 cities and about 8-9 size 12.

I'm hoping that unlike the science slowdown you have to start a new game for the changes to kick in. If there is an extra commerce for size 6-12 it should have shown, and if the max_cities was raised (max cities allowed before 1-shield corruption) then corruption should have lowered.

Researching your way to an ancient era tech lead is now far more viable on Monarch, and the AI's are noticably less promiscuous about trading tech. Big improvement.

Comment

The tech race HAS slowed down. I never arrived in the 1800's before... (on Emperor, Pangea, everything standard).

Also the AI is starting some serious wars for resources now, something I've never seen before. One of them was missing rubber - he assemble a decent strike force and went right for one of my cities in the jungle. Just happened to have Mech Infantry before him...

About offensive units: I don't know. I modded a new unit, a Commando (16, 1, 1, all terrain as roads, amphibious, para, HIDDEN NATIONALITY, available with Espionage). Never try that with a land unit! The AI is stealing my workers left and right while we are are at peace and happily trading. The only reason he didn't take more than one of my cities is that I've got all of them defended by at least two MI now. I hope to finish the game soon, it's a pain in the a$$ to go chasing after 1-5 stacks of captured workers every turn... I haven't seen many stacks of Riflemen / Infantry except for some time in mid-industrial.

Comment

re: extra commerce for the commercial trait -

Despite what I found earlier, I've found that reaching size 7 adds three commerce to the city tile. I don't remember it being that many before.

Comment

I finished my first Deity 1.29 game. People say the tech race slowed down somewhat, I think this is indeed true.
                  I think in this game I just finished, I never could have come back in let's say 1.21 of 1.17.

But I made the mistake early in the game (+-750 BC), to break a peace treaty and a right of passage agreement. My reputation sank like a rock... Tech trading became very hard. I soon found myself easily an age behind in tech race (ancient<--->middle ages). Still at great costs (military and gold) i got my realm expanded quite a bit to a solid 30 city empire (normal map). Then i could finally beat them in tech race, with the help of some espionage and some tech brokering (reputation was a little better by then). I was playing with the Persians, and those cheap library's and universities really helped big time. I don't think I'd pulled this of with let's say the Americans...

Comment

Originally posted by Killerdaffy

About offensive units: I don't know. I modded a new unit, a Commando (16, 1, 1, all terrain as roads, amphibious, para, HIDDEN NATIONALITY, available with Espionage). Never try that with a land unit! The AI is stealing my workers left and right while we are are at peace and happily trading. The only reason he didn't take more than one of my cities is that I've got all of them defended by at least two MI now. I hope to finish the game soon, it's a pain in the a$$ to go chasing after 1-5 stacks of captured workers every turn... I haven't seen many stacks of Riflemen / Infantry except for some time in mid-industrial.
                    The colourless units have been around for a while. Interesting isnt it? I dont remember what era Willems units were present, but mine were medieval units that were very powerful. I guess our discussions intrigued Firaxis, from the hints it looks like one of these units may be in PtW.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by miccofl
                      The changes in game play are minor. The changes in the editor are major.

When you go back to work on your mod make sure any new units, improvements/wonders, resources, etc have a Civilopedia entry - any entry will do until you get around to writing the real one - or the game will crash to the desktop when you try to start your mod. (pediaicon crash)

This "feature" has rendered all my modded save games useless. The mods will work though once the add-ons have the appropriate Civilopedia entry.
                      This inclued new Governments?
                      I've made about 4 or 5!

And thanks for warning us, i was just about to start adding new units!
                      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
                      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

I have played 1 game into the industrial age so far. I wanted to test the changes to "commerical" out, so I played Rome.

The start spot was ok (Rome itself was nice - coastal, lake, 2 wheat, 1 cow - but north was a line of mts and a large desert, west was nice land and the Egyptians). Guess who had to die? Anyway, though Rome still isn't a great civ, I think commercial makes a noticeable difference now. It's not about the extra commerce - it's about the corruption reduction.

The tech race is much more enjoyable now. I played on Monarch/Standard/8/continents, but got a pangea. All 8 civs together. I hit Egypt early, taking Thebes and reducing them to 1 city. I traded early on, then bought some while researching toward Monarchy. Switched to Monarchy and then unleashed my legions (upgraded from warriors, of course) on Japan. Kyoto had the Great Library, which is worth more now with the 1.29 changes. Since the tech race is different (AI at normal rate/human slower as opposed to human at normal rate/AI at superspeed), you actually have time to milk the Library. The money I made was reinvested in my economy.

After taking down the Zulu with knights/elite legions and crushing Greece with the help of the Iroquois, I've hit critical mass. I'm now a democracy, researching industrialization, with a "strong" army compared to any of the surviving civs (who all hate me). Zululand is finally ramping up to full productivity (I relocated my Palace up there during the war w/a leader) and my rail net is coming together. I have all the wonders worth having, I'm finally getting rich (I was a King for longer than I would have liked), and I'm about to go industrial. Plus, I managed to get an MPP with the Iroquois, the only civ that *might* be able to hurt me.

I have an elite legionary named "Praetorian Guards" a Knight in an army named "1st Cavaliers" (formerly an elite horseman) and a Cavalry (formerly a Knight unit) named "Crusaders." How cool is that? What a great little addition to the game.

I think builders should be very happy with the 1.29 patch. The tech race & tech trading seems back under control. You have time to build, and poor/backwards civs will in fact fall behind and stay behind in the tech race.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                          The tech race is much more enjoyable now. [. . . .] Kyoto had the Great Library, which is worth more now with the 1.29 changes. Since the tech race is different (AI at normal rate/human slower as opposed to human at normal rate/AI at superspeed), you actually have time to milk the Library.
                          Ain't that the truth! I started my third 1.29f game last night. Emperor, small map, 6 civs (including me), all random. I ended up as Gandhi (commercial again!).

My start position wasn't very good - 4 or 5 shielded grasslands by moving my settler one tile, but no fresh water within a 3 tile radius (and it turns out that there is plenty of fresh water on the map). I met my immediate neighbors pretty quickly - Japan, Aztecs and Iroqouis. * Sigh * Both Japan and Aztecs were very close to my start location - I think our capital citites are all within 10 - 12 tiles of one another -- no nice ring of cities around my capital this game. * Sigh *

I decided on two possible early game strategies: (1) horseman rush on Tokugawa; or (2) peaceful (read: meek) builder until at least the middle ages. I set my research towards Literature (I often start researching Writing immediately with a commercial civ), planning to trade for The Wheel at first opportunity.

At first I was astonished at the tech rate -- it wasn't anything like my first two games -- it didn't seem to have slowed down at all compared to 1.21f, it seemed to have accelerated. But I soon discovered that this was largely due to the map generator having given us a pangea - max water. All six civs were in contact with one another (and trading starting techs) before I had even researched writing.

After securing The Wheel via trade, I was oh-so excited to discover that there were no horses even within striking range of my start spot - no horseman rush, so peaceful (read: meek) builder strat here we go. [BTW, I think this is the first time I've ever played India and not had access to horses -- who says the War Elephant is a completely useless UU .]

My peaceful, builder approach was to concentrate on a strong cultural base so that later warring (if necessary) would be viable. After building a few early temples (very early compared to many other games) I actually set my capital on a Pyramids build, intending to switch to the Great Library. It was a very risky strategy (since I wouldn't have a Palace build to fall back on, but hoped I might have been able to trade for Monarchy and therefore have the HG as a fall-back), but the initial tech rate, the relatively poor start location, and the dangerous neighbors convinced me that I needed to do something to get a leg up, and culture / tech seemed the most viable option. [This game will also produce some interesting factoids / examples for all the culture flipping discussions raging].

I don't think I've ever built an early GW on Emperor, but the AI civs hadn't really started many wonders (The Pyramids and Oracle only, and no one had researched Writing yet when I did, so I hoped I could pull off the GL). I ended up building the GL, beating the AIs by probably one or two turns (about 2 or 3 other GWs were built by AIs on the turn I completed the GL).

I got a flood of techs - up through about Feudalism, and then I enjoyed the GL's benefits for at least 30 or 40 more turns. I honestly can't remember an Emperor game (though I really haven't played that many) - and don't think its all that common at Monarch in any event - for the human player (and sometimes even the AIs) to build the GL and actually get any use out of it. I can definitely recall instances under 1.21f when an AI civ completes the GL while everyone is already reaserching Astronomy or Gunpowder. And my GL remained useful for at least 30 or 40 more turns. There was some AI-AI warfare going on, but not a truly excessive amount - IMHO under 1.21f there is simply no way an Emperor pangea game (even on a small map) would yield more than a few turns, if any, worth of GL utility.

I like this new tech rate!

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                            and don't think its all that common at Monarch in any event - for the human player (and sometimes even the AIs) to build the GL and actually get any use out of it
                            I've had planty of success with the GL on Monarch with early literature and a decent pre-build - set the science to 0% and get rich while the AI researches maybe 10 techs or so for you.

OTOH, if LIteracy is late, the AI does sometimes finish it post-astronomy .

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              I think commercial makes a noticeable difference now. It's not about the extra commerce - it's about the corruption reduction.
                              {snip}
                              I'm now a democracy, researching industrialization, with a "strong" army compared to any of the surviving civs (who all hate me).
                              {snip}
                              I think builders should be very happy with the 1.29 patch. The tech race & tech trading seems back under control. You have time to build, and poor/backwards civs will in fact fall behind and stay behind in the tech race.
                              -Arrian
                              Commercial Boost:
                              Yes, Liz was able to build me an FP in a remote island nearly the height of a standard map away from the capital at 5 shields/turn, with a temple / harbor / mkt / WLTK / courthouse bootstrap kit.
                              Also, I don't recall getting 5 commerce from a size 7+ city square before. Aqueducts become a real shot-in the arm for a growing commercial civ hungry for gold.

Rep:
                              Yes, I'd expect that to be the case with the Arrian strat on pangea, but how did it affect you? Are they now unwilling to trade gpt? Presumably you don't need to trade for lux as you own enough, but do you get any problems trading tech? Or, is the likelihood of attack whilst consolidating territory and ramping up infrastucture a concern? The idea of sweeping through a vast continent with three flavours of upgrading horsies sounds fun , and I was wondering if a disgraced rep got in the way at all.

Tech-rate:
                              I hadn't found a fast tech-rate on Pangea to be a problem for the builder, as long as you got into the loop early with some good tech-paths and savvy trading. It reduces the size of the offensive-advantage window (as better defenders were quickly available) and ultimately rewards the early infrastructure investment made whilst the AI's were bashing each other.
                              You mentioned the Great Libray as more valuable in 1.29 (if Literacy is bee-lined) - well, that dark horse the Lighthouse just got a whole lot stronger too on non-pangea. With astronomy so many turns further away, the ability to establish colonial dominance of remote islands is enhanced, as is the benefit of enjoying exclusive trade and communications options with over-seas civs.

Comment

I don't know if this is just me, but in 1.29 the CIV are less willing to give up techs when you beat it out of them. I'm behing 2 techs so I decided to go to war with the Indians. I've taken 4 cities and decided It's time for peace so I ask for peace along with electricity and espianage, but they wont give it to me. So I contued the war till I took every indian city on my continent. They now only have 2 cities way out out at sea, still they refuse to give me what I want. Usually with 1.21, I take 2 or 3 cities and they give me all of their belongings just for peace.

The same with all the civ I went to war with.
                                Janitor, janitor
                                scrub in vein
                                for the $h1t house poet
                                have struck again

Comment

Working...
                                X