Refusing gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing gifts?

I offered Egypt 20 gpt "aid package" and they say "Why do you waste Egypt's time with such a one-sided deal?"

What's so one-sided about that, other than it's in your favour?

Happens to others as well?
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
    Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
    "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

I have tech deals good to go with another civ. To be nice I add in SIX free resources as a BONUS.

The AI then insults me and cancels the entire deal. Stupid AI.

Did Firaxis fix this with 1.29? Not a chance.

Comment

I've offered the AI unwanted isolated cities numerous times only to have them refuse. Upon closer examination I determined their refusals were based on the fact that they had no resources, gold, or techs to offer in trade.

Perhaps the reason why the AI refuses offers, even ones in THEIR favour, is because the AI is programmed not to trade if it has nothing to offer in return. Just a thought, but the next time you offer a deal see if the AI has anything that they can offer in return. I suspect that's why you get denied so often.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I think he was referring to a 'gift', asking for nothing in exchange.

Comment

That happened to me once, with the Zulu. I offered tham 25 gold, just out of the blue in order to be a nice guy, and he refused it. I couldn't believe it!

Comment

Out of curosity your income was more than 20 gpt right? I know the ai will refuse any deal which it thinks you can't pay even if you have a large enough treasury to finance it for the whole 20 turns. If thats not it, I dont know Ive never seen them refuse a gift other than that.

Comment

I know that the AI will not accept any "per turn" deals (gold, resources, etc.) if they don't like you. Even if you're giving it away, they won't take it because they don't trust you.

I've never seen an AI player refuse a lump sum gift or a tech if I offer it to them.

Comment

This has been discussed in threads before, but if you have a bad credit rating, then the AI won't accept gifts from you. Which kinda makes it hard to recover your credit, but that's how it works.
                They don't call me Springfield Fats because I'm morbidly obese!

Comment

Well it happened to me. We were on polite terms, our borders weren't in conflict and I was ahead in all areas.

I have this random act of kindness approach when it comes to my diplomacy. Every so often, I'll just outright give 25-50 gold to someone it might be in my interests to please. Quite often, it will make a big difference in their relations to me, and almost always I find myself with a lot more money than they do. But on this occasion, the Zulu turned me down flat.

Comment

"Hey, Cleo, I'd like to give you 20 gold per turn".
                    "I don't want anything from you"
                    "But, Cleo, I'm giving this money to you. It's a gift!"
                    "I said that I don't want anything from you!"
                    "Why, Cleo?"
                    "If I accepted this gift, I'd be in debt with you, and I would never be able to attack you viciously like I'm planning to do in the next 10 turns"
                    "Geez, Cleo, now I know why you're an AI in this game..."

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                      "Hey, Cleo, I'd like to give you 20 gold per turn".
                      "I don't want anything from you"
                      "But, Cleo, I'm giving this money to you. It's a gift!"
                      "I said that I don't want anything from you!"
                      "Why, Cleo?"
                      "If I accepted this gift, I'd be in debt with you, and I would never be able to attack you viciously like I'm planning to do in the next 10 turns"
                      "Geez, Cleo, now I know why you're an AI in this game..."

RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Iskandar, that's a really cute avatar you've got! Is the kitten yours?

As for refusing gifts - which difficulty level are you guys referring to, because I play exclusively at prince and have never had a gift refused, even by my most hated enemies.

Comment

the AI is wary of GPT offers in general. you could give them 2 GPT ad ask them fro 1 GPT and they'll be insulted.

i think it's a built in feature to deter abuse somehow...

ask soren
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I always play at Regent.

Comment

I play as Warlord and the AI never accepted a city as a gift.
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas
                              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                              X