Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Communism for gargantuan Empires. Any Civ3 Commie converts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then Communism is broke. I suggest replacing it with a useful government. A better version of monarchy since it is discovered in the industial era. Perhaps Fascism? Get a powerful military unit with it as well perhaps. Better tanks and a Brownshirt unit..

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
      Under Communism, the forbidden palace and the palace are irrelevent since all cities have a flat corruption rate, correct? So these can be sold off?
      In fact, with 1.29f patch Forbidden Palace DOUBLES number of optimal cities in Communism.

Comment

i go through a peacful stage in republic, then once the wars begin to come around i wait till WW is real bad then change to comunism.
        Help negate the vegiterian movement!
        For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          Communism just doesn't work well in very large Empires. You need equal improvements in all your cities for it to work right, which costs a lot more to build and maintain than consolidating your production and commerce in 'core' cities under the other governments. The commerce bonus isn't there, and the higher the number of cities, the worse things get.

Under certain circumstances Communism can beat out Monarchy as best wartime Government. Mostly a very spread out empire with few cities, all equally developed. Otherwise it's seriously lacking.
          That is my experience also. My latest game was archipelago-emperor-egyptian, and I found Communism very useful during wartime. My cities were mostly fully-developed after large investments from the treasury. I would switch between democracy and communism, depending on the war situation. On the other hand, this is the first time communism has worked well for me.

You can find the game here:
          ** WARNING ** SPOILER ** GOTM9 **

Comment

Zachriel, What do you have on the http://www.zachriel.com besides Civ3 strategies and GOTMs?

Comment

Hmm... I'm reluctant to switch to commie when my empire grows very large. Under a representative gov't, my core 15 or 20 cities will outproduce what the whole empire would under commie. With universities and hydro plants, it'd be a shame to send hundreds of shields and arrows into the dumpster so that I can make up some of that in peripheral, smaller, less-improved cities. I'll take my core cash cow.

Having to set luxuries at 70% to keep people celebrating doesn't strike me as an effective use of arrows, either...
              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
              intelligence to few.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
                Zachriel, What do you have on the http://www.zachriel.com besides Civ3 strategies and GOTMs?
                All Civ, all the time.
                Civ3 Playthroughs for the Game of the Month at Civfanatics.com

Comment

To Artiflex, I always play as Russia/Soviet Union.

To everyone else, if you're commercial, enjoy raking in loads of gold, and like to have a minimal tech lead, then Democracy, Republic and even Monarchy are for you.

I personally prefer to build infastructure, and secure the well-being of the people. I don't play to by any rules, per se. I just play to have fun and make a use of my imagination.

If time calls for war, then I can easily respond. With 30-40 cities built-up, I have no problem supplying my empire with defense/offensive units.

Comment

Working...
                  X