Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Communism for gargantuan Empires. Any Civ3 Commie converts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communism for gargantuan Empires. Any Civ3 Commie converts here?

Politburo members speak out!

If you are lucky enough to create a massive empire that rivals the sweeping beauty and grandeur of the former U.S.S.R. Then in that case isn't communism the logical choice? Common sense would dictate that comunism is preferable science wise, production wise to any other form of Government wether you be at peace or war in this Instance (say 50+ cities on a standard map). I understand that 16 cities is the threshold for Empire Size corruption penalties. Provided the penalties scale as you get larger and larger it would seem at some point due to diminishing returns a flat level corruption is preferable..So Communism wins over even a Democracy or Republic which have a few great core cities but the rest of the empire floundering with 1 shield per city. Are thier any Civ 3 Commie converts out there?

If it doesn't work this way, whats the point? Of even having this govt in the game? Discuss.
    Last edited by Artifex; July 21, 2002, 19:39.

Yes, I prefer it overall. Good ammount of free units, and add the fact that spies are veteran, it is bliss.

Using the WW2 Mod, I always start off with Communism, and leave it be. Once I've built a good ammount of cities and risen them up to high production status, I pump out units, and take over the neighboring nations.

I usually then keep peace once I've taken a continent. I also raise the luxury slaider to 70% which usually keeps most of the citizens happy. From then on, I just build the UN, and win by diplomatic.

Comment

hmm; I see Marc gave in on the USSR flag
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

alva, that's the Chinese flag. Seems like the best alternative

Comment

It seems Communism gets a bum rap around here. As I was thinking if you have a Huge Empire a flat corruption rate with 50 big cities would outproduce a few great core cities and 20-30 wasted cities. I dunno I could be wrong, but in theory I think that is the way it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Propaganda
            Yes, I prefer [Communism] overall. Good ammount of free units, and add the fact that spies are veteran, it is bliss.
            We're talking CivIII here, right? What do you mean the spies are veteran.?

Comment

I don't have a problem with it. Corruption is minimal in most of my games, because I set priority to Temples, Police Stations and Courthouses. I also keep the luxury slider above 10%; that somewhat limits the impact from corruption, it seems to me.

When I play, I usually have about 50+ cities producing units in 3 turns or less. I can take a couple civs on at once, and take them over in 10-20 turns.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBird

We're talking CivIII here, right? What do you mean the spies are veteran.?
                RedBird, it means they have a higher success rate. And yes, I'm talking about Civ III.

Comment

Check the editor to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Under Communism, the forbidden palace and the palace are irrelevent since all cities have a flat corruption rate, correct? So these can be sold off?

Comment

I think if the Palace is built, it stamps the fact that the city it was built in is the capital. I think it also decreases corruption.

EDIT: I'm not sure it's across the board, or beneficial to all cities. I think it only affects the city it was built in, however.

Comment

alva, that's the Chinese flag. Seems like the best alternative
                        oops, eugh, well: blush: just , well,
                        i'll be more carefull next time.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

RedBird, it means they have a higher success rate.
                          Yeah, I just logged on because I just found that in the editor. And I'd forgotten that sometimes espionage fails so it makes sense. I see.

Comment

propaganda-

what's your favorite civ for communism?

Comment

Communism just doesn't work well in very large Empires. You need equal improvements in all your cities for it to work right, which costs a lot more to build and maintain than consolidating your production and commerce in 'core' cities under the other governments. The commerce bonus isn't there, and the higher the number of cities, the worse things get.

Under certain circumstances Communism can beat out Monarchy as best wartime Government. Mostly a very spread out empire with few cities, all equally developed. Otherwise it's seriously lacking.

Comment

Working...
                              X