No announcement yet.

Galleys in ocean squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it that the Civilopedia is incorrect in stating that Galley's can cross oceans, or that it is right but the rule was missed in the actual game and Galleys can't but SHOULD be able to cross oceans? I'm confused by the wording...
    I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

@switchmoo: civilopedia.
      that was a bad(stupid) mistake by Firaxis IMHO.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Is it that the Civilopedia is incorrect in stating that Galley's can cross oceans, or that it is right but the rule was missed in the actual game and Galleys can't but SHOULD be able to cross oceans? I'm confused by the wording
        Switch and Spencer

this is how i understand it to work...

any unit that sinks in seas will lose that liability upon the discovery of Astonomy and the same thing goes for any unit that sinks in oceans upon the discovery of Navigation or Magnetism, so once you discover Navigation not only will galleys not sink in ocean tiles neither will caravels, so while the Civilopedia is correct when it states that a galley will sink in sea or ocean squares it leaves out the fact that technological advances will eventually cancle this out

Comment

So it was INTENDED that galleys eventually cross oceans without fear? OK. That makes this topic seem clearer.....
          I personally don't think galleys should be able to cross oceans, though, no matter the technology.....
          I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

I think that the game designers did intend for this to happen although it doesnt make sense to me or (apparently) to other players. The funny thing is that I dont think many of us realize this fact. I thought it was a game bug that lowered the odds of AI galleys sinking somehow. I'm not sure we would have found the answer without Sorens comment. This revelation also explains why my ironclads dont sink at sea either, even though I've marked them to do so.

In some regards this is just a civilopedia fix, but I would like to remove galleys traveling the oceans with the editor. Aside from Willems method, there doesnt appear to be a way to do so without firaxis (it could be a small additional patch . I guess I could add the TRADE OVER OCEAN to a later tech and remove it from Magetism and Navigation. On the other hand, now that we know about this, it may be less irritating to see galleys moving across the oceans.

Isnt it strange that Navigation and Magnestism have the same benefit ? Last minute changes eh ?
            Last edited by SpencerH; July 22, 2002, 08:57.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I don´t know about you guys, but I always (well, at least for a long time) knew that all ships benefited from the Astronomy ans Magnetism advances. This was obvious when AI Galleys suddenly started to move over Sea/Ocean tiles. I´m sure there are threads about this is somebody would mind to do a search.

The fact which, IMHO, has confused people is that either Magnetism/Navigation is needed for Ocean trading/movement. People used to automatically believe that you really need Navigation, while it in reality is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                Isnt it strange that Navigation and Magnestism have the same benefit ? Last minute changes eh ?
                IIRC, Navigation is an optional tech, and if you don't research it, your ships never would get ocean going. So they added the same benefit to a mandantory tech. If you don't research or buy Navigation, you still make your vessels ocean-going with Magnetism, but if you do, you'll have this bonus significantly earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                  I don´t know about you guys, but I always (well, at least for a long time) knew that all ships benefited from the Astronomy ans Magnetism advances. This was obvious when AI Galleys suddenly started to move over Sea/Ocean tiles. I´m sure there are threads about this is somebody would mind to do a search.

The fact which, IMHO, has confused people is that either Magnetism/Navigation is needed for Ocean trading/movement. People used to automatically believe that you really need Navigation, while it in reality is optional.
                  I'll bet you play a lot of games where naval exploration is a big factor. I dont play many of those games since I find the naval aspect of CIV3 to be "ho-hum" (unfortunately) so it was only when I played a GOTM that I noticed it and got pissed off about AI ocean going galleys. Since I upgrade my galleys ASAP to get sea-travel capability it never occured to me what was happening.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

IIRC, Navigation is an optional tech, and if you don't research it, your ships never would get ocean going. So they added the same benefit to a mandantory tech. If you don't research or buy Navigation, you still make your vessels ocean-going with Magnetism, but if you do, you'll have this bonus significantly earlier.
                    A valid argument, but I wonder. Hopefully a firaxian will comment on the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                      I'll bet you play a lot of games where naval exploration is a big factor.
                      True! Expansionist is my fav trait.

Comment

Yah, the reason for Galleys on Ocean squares has been known just about from the time the game was released. At first the Great Lighthouse allowed for it as well as Magnetism or Navigation.

here's a link to a reference of mine to the whole thing (self serving link) - Long post about halfway down.

I'm sure it was originally talked about in one of Vel's threads (non self serving), but I am kinda scared about trying to find anything specific in those huge threads. Or running into one of my first posts...

I think it's good that the AI can send their galleys out in the Ocean eventually. They have a terrible time figuring out how to upgrade or getting the cash together to do so. It helps the AI out, which it needs. Besides, it's easier to sink Galleys!

Also the units are rather abstract, in that there are no Galleys in the Modern Era, rather small, low capacity boats. Just like any Warriors at that time aren't actually cave men with axes...

Comment

Working...
                        X