map sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• map sizes

what is the largest map size you can play on, and to get a larger map do i need to use the editor ? does the editor make random maps? I dont like the way that civ3 has removed the custom map size from the startup menu like civ2 had
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Im not sure but to get a map bigger then huge you have to use the editor. Im not sure though because whenever i use a map bigger then standard size, the game becomes to slow so i never bother.

Comment

thanks, never used the editor yet, but the maps are just too dam nsmall....
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

The largest map you can play on is 256 x 256, and yes you will need to make a change to the "Huge" settings in the editor.

PS You'll probably want to make an adjustment for the "Optimal Number of Cities" while you're there as well. You'l find both in "World Sizes".

Comment

If you make the optimal number of cities a high (and I mean high) number, those pesky corruption problems will mostly go away.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Never ever play with more than 4 civs on a 256x256 unless you have a mega-processor.

Ive got a 1.7ghz p4 with 512mb memory, and it gets to be 4-5 minutes wait between turns in the late 1900s.

This is due mainly to pathfinding for AI units (ie, the more you kill the quicker the ai turns will be).

If you play on a mega map, remember the only tactic is to generate as many settlers as you can, expanding as quickly as possible. With luck you may get most of the important resources within you borders early on. Do no research until the the second age as the huts should provide all of the ancient techs.
            The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
              If you make the optimal number of cities a high (and I mean high) number, those pesky corruption problems will mostly go away.

But if you make it to high, it will take forever before you can build the Forbidden Palace.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer
                Never ever play with more than 4 civs on a 256x256 unless you have a mega-processor.

Ive got a 1.7ghz p4 with 512mb memory, and it gets to be 4-5 minutes wait between turns in the late 1900s.

This is due mainly to pathfinding for AI units (ie, the more you kill the quicker the ai turns will be).

If you play on a mega map, remember the only tactic is to generate as many settlers as you can, expanding as quickly as possible. With luck you may get most of the important resources within you borders early on. Do no research until the the second age as the huts should provide all of the ancient techs.
                I play 8 civs on maps that big, on a 400 mhz machine, and I don't find it's all that bad. But then, I might be a bit more patient than other players. Plus, they were supposed to have made some improvements with pathfinding in this patch, so it might be better now.

Comment

Don't forget to adjust the tech race
                  ( can't remember the actual name in the editor)

remember: a game like this can take many months to finish
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                  X