X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Yes, AFAIK
    NO YOU WON'T lose your mod!!!

Just use the IMPORT feature in the Editor to import YOUR mod values to the new one. It is simple. Worked for me. Move YOUR mod to another folder then import back in.

(I can't believe I am saying something in praise of a part of Civ 3).
    Last edited by Coracle; July 19, 2002, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

(I can't believe I am saying something in praise of a part of Civ 3).
      I'm sure you're not the only one

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
        Coracle: (I can't believe I am saying something in praise of a part of Civ 3).
        Catt:
        I'm sure you're not the only one

Okay, did someone hack Coracle's account?
        |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
        | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Yea, it is surprising - I actually found something that works in Civ 3!

Now, let us see Firaxis fix Culture Flipping, Settler Diarrhea, give us Diplomatic control of scenarios, useful subs and privateers, and a number of other things. . .
          Last edited by Coracle; July 19, 2002, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
            Now, let us see Firaxis fix Culture Flipping, Settler Diarrhea, give us Diplomatic control of scenarios, useful subs and privateers, and a number of other things. . .
            Would you like some cheese?
            I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Originally posted by =DrJambo=
              ARe you sure?

Well, that's good to know for us modders.

What about the Ai changes then?
              The Firaxians reported sometime ago that fixes/changes for the AI was not the focus of v1.29f. Which is a shame because so much needs to still be done. Personally I consider it a MAJOR bug that the AI won't use arty.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

He will lose his mod if it is the original bic file he modded. Because the patch overwrites the bic file, among other things. Rename it something else, then download the patch, then import the file into the game.

Be sure to rename stuff like the pedia and other text files if you changed them also.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                  I feel like a broken record here, but you should NOT be modifying civ3mod.bic.

Create a seperate BIC file and store your rule changes in it. The easiest way to do this in 1.29 is to create a new mod, then import the settings from your old (backed up) modded civ3mod.bic.

From then on, use the load scenario command to start a new game with your modified rules.

Trust me, it will save you a lot of headache and heartaches.

Dan
                  The reason some of us started modifying the civ3mod.bic was because the load scenario command caused the game to crash. It may have been the early versions, or the hard coding, or the excessive changes that some of us did, or whatever .... but in my hands 1.17 (for example) didnt handle mods very well as scenarios. But then since we had to hack almost every change with those versions, they werent really supposed to were they?
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Dan - why? Ever since I made my first modifications to the game, even before the first patch, I've been modifying Civ3mod.bic file. And had no problems with it, except for having to re-do it once, but no crash/stability problems. And since you're not going to release another patch.

BTW, Dan, will I be able to play PtW with all the new stuff there, but also using some modified rules from my mod?
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                      I find it funny that people are so lazy that they can't click on "Load Scenario" and find a file instead of "New Game".
                      Quick question. If you set it up as a scenario instead of the civ3mod file, does the Quick Start use your scenario, or default back to the base rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Grunthex
                        Quick question. If you set it up as a scenario instead of the civ3mod file, does the Quick Start use your scenario, or default back to the base rules?
                        Quick Start and New Game always use the civ3mod.BIC in the main directory, whether it's the original or a mod.

Comment

I find it funny that people are so lazy that they can't click on "Load Scenario" and find a file instead of "New Game".
                          In the DyP mod we have made changes to the tech screens, added (about 60) units, renamed existing units, altered their order in the BIC (and thus in the Units_32.pcx), added (about 80) buildings, altered their order of appearance in the BIC (and thus the Buildings_large and Buildings_small.pcx). We have added resources, adjusted the Pediaicons.txt, Script.txt, Civilopedia.txt, and Civilopedia icons.

If you installed our mod and then tried to use the original Civ3mod.bic to start a game, it would be so full of errors, in the form of incorrect graphics and totally messy tech advisor screens. It might even produce crashes with the new tech icons scheme.

So what is the point in keeping the original Civ3mod.bic ???

If an alternate search path was added, so that we could store All modified files in a sub-directory under the Scenarios folder, then there would be a point in keeping it.
                          Double Your Pleasure mod | DYP Forums | DYP Mod thread

Comment

Well they've made it even easier now since the ini file now keeps a record of the last scenario loaded. So it will automatically open up to the last one you played.

Comment

Originally posted by isak
                              If an alternate search path was added, so that we could store All modified files in a sub-directory under the Scenarios folder, then there would be a point in keeping it.
                              Firaxis told us in the last Apolyton chat, that PTW will have a mod-manager, so that every mod can have its own directory and there will be no need to change the original files anymore.
                              Last edited by ColdFever; July 22, 2002, 06:55.
                              Kai · Team www.civilized.de

Comment

Thanks for the tip ColdFever - I never really doubted that they would eventually let us store mods in a separate scenario. I was just hoping it could have been in v.1.29f, but I guess that would have required one or two of those 8-day working weeks.
                                Double Your Pleasure mod | DYP Forums | DYP Mod thread

Comment

Working...
                                X