• Show
Clear All

• Can't install patches...........HELP

When I try to install the patch,
    it gives this error:

- I use the valid bought cd version that worked before
    - I formatted my computer and reinstalled it in the default directory
    - I putted the patch exe file in my civilization directory

still doctor watson keeps on putting up about 4 of these error boxes.......
    I have installed civ3 and patches in the past. Same patches, same computer, same OS...............

I have no clue and any help is appreciated ! (I'm afraid the new patch won't work as well, since my 1.16 and 1.17 don't work either)

thanks in advance, CS
    Attached Files
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

try disabling your anti-virus software and all other programmes before you try to patch.
    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Re: Can't install patches...........HELP

Originally posted by CyberShy
      it gives this error:

I have installed civ3 and patches in the past. Same patches, same computer, same OS...............

I have no clue and any help is appreciated ! (I'm afraid the new patch won't work as well, since my 1.16 and 1.17 don't work either)

thanks in advance, CS
      Could you do me a small favor and translate the text into English?
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I did quit all programms.

translation: "A failure occured while loading the file c:\..........
        The system can't find the given file"

Comment

what's Dr Watson? Can you disable that?
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          Odysseus and the March of Time
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Dr watson is a norton program like crash guard. Uninstall the whole lot except for the antivirus (mine just stopped a virus in a jpg I was downloading). Thank you Mr Norton. Many people have found (including me)that the other programs cause more problems than good.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I did not install any norton program,
              I tried to deinstall dr watchon, but I had no clue how.

It couldn't be done by the normal way you deinstall progs.

Comment

Sorry I misled you about the source of Dr. Watson. Its a microsoft product that was installed with your OS.

Heres a blurb from MS

Dr. Watson is a program error troubleshooting tool that traps program faults (that are running in ring three of the processor), and generates a snapshot of the operating system that you can use to diagnose the fault. This tool interprets program errors in Windows-based programs and attempts to diagnose them. When you run Dr. Watson, it automatically creates a log file when a program fault occurs. The log files have a .wlg extension, and are stored in the \Windows\Drwatson folder. The log file indicates the program that created the fault, the program that the fault occurred in, and the memory address where the fault occurred. Dr. Watson cannot create a snapshot if the program does not respond (hangs).

Without knowing your OS I'd guess that to uninstall you have to have to go to the add/delete programs in your control panel folder. Click on windows setup and uninstall it there. You'll need your OS CD and you'll have to re-start.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'll try that. Thanks!

Comment

Re: Can't install patches...........HELP

Originally posted by CyberShy
                    it gives this error:

thanks in advance, CS
                    I suspect that the problem is that you have to run the install program twice. The first time deletes the files that will be updated, the second time it actually installs the patch.

Comment

Working...
                    X