Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toggle between Civ3 and desktop?

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to suspend Civ3 (i.e. flip back to the main Windoze desktop) without needing to exit the game - for example, if I remember seeing some relevant advise on the web somewhere, like here, and want to pop up a browser and take a quick look. In many games (like Combat Mission) this can be accomplished with a keystroke, but I can't find the facility anywhere in Civ3. Does it exist, and if not then does anyone know if there are there plans to add it?

Re: Toggle between Civ3 and desktop?

Originally posted by Mad Dog
    Hi all,

I'd like to be able to suspend Civ3 (i.e. flip back to the main Windoze desktop) without needing to exit the game - for example, if I remember seeing some relevant advise on the web somewhere, like here, and want to pop up a browser and take a quick look. In many games (like Combat Mission) this can be accomplished with a keystroke, but I can't find the facility anywhere in Civ3. Does it exist, and if not then does anyone know if there are there plans to add it?

If the other program you would like to use is already running, use Alt+Tab. If it is not, use Ctrl+Esc to bring up the taskbar and launch the program through the Start menu. These are system-wide control combos, no need for game-specific controls. I am using WinXP Pro, but this will work in other Windows based systems as well.

Comment

In addition, Windows-D works (obviously only on Windows systems with a Windows compatible keyboard).
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

If your using NT/2000/XP, you can also use the CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to bring the task manager up, and run the program you want form there.
        "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Hm. What if my desktop is configured to 800x600? Toggling between it and Civ3 would most certainly cause a crash, right?
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I never had Civ3 crash when I alt+tabbed out on my comp when my resolution was at 1280xwhatever. So you should be alright too, though it may take a little while for it to switch if its different resolutions. I just use 1024x768 now, no time at all between switching to IE or IRC from Civ3, heh.
            "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Alt-Tab works fine, exspecially if you leave a file explorer window open. THis way you don't even need to have another program running
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

windows key too?
                The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

minimises all windows (Civ included, I presume.
                  brings them back when you've finished looking at the desktop.
                  "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                  "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                  - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer
                    windows key too?
                    For me this works fine, and a lot easier then all the off the above
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

On XP HE, The desktop seems to re-size to fit the same resolution as Civ3.

As it is using DirectX, it is not writing to the same screen as your desktop anyway, so it would never cause a crash.
                      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

I wish more games these days let you do that. Its great being able to listen to your own music while playing, cause when you really get into civ the game music gets boring
                        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Turn off all music in Civ and pop in a CD or replace all the MP3s in Civ with your own.
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Working...
                          X