Optional Advances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optional Advances

When you do have the choice of doing optional advances do you do them all, or some, or only the useful ones?
    All of them, always.
    28.21%
    Whichever i feel like if i am a bit ahead
    28.21%
    Only the VERY useful ones, such as Sanitation
    35.90%
    None, if i have the choice
    2.56%
    I used the Civ3 CD as a coaster in a toaster
    5.13%

The poll is expired.

Difficulty is irrelevant. It's the thought that counts.

everything allways! I'm a Perfectionist.
    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I go for most of them. I usually ignore Free Artistry. I sometimes ignore communism/espionage (but often buy communism so I can build police stations).

I rarely play into the modern age, but if I do I will often ignore the bottom part of the tech tree.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The Republic and/or Monarchy are too good to pass up, same with Literature.

Chivalry always plays an important role, as does Military Tradition. Music Theory isn't too important to get early, as a Leader from my Knights/Cavalry can rush JS Bach's, Economics is very helpful. Free artistry I can always do without.

Sanitation is important, but I can wait until Ecology is available in most cases. Nationalism, Communism, Espionage, Amphibious Warfare, and Advanced Flight are hardly worth anything. I tend to just wait until the AI has nothing else to offer before snatching them up in trades.

The modern day ones can be important in the right circumstances, recycling especially.

In all cases, the AI rarely research them until late, so they can be a good way to catch up on higher difficulty games. While the AI races ahead, get the techs everyone doesn't like yourself and then trade them around. Before the wonders get built they can be very lucrative, just save a leader for the wonder after the trades.

Comment

Unless the tech allows a desirable Wonder or government, I ignore them for all practical purposes. I don't even try to get them through trades. They usually get thrown into the deal when an AI sues for peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple
            Unless the tech allows a desirable Wonder or government, I ignore them for all practical purposes. I don't even try to get them through trades. They usually get thrown into the deal when an AI sues for peace.
            Yep, same for me. I get most of them through trades when they become aged a bit... Exceptions: Literature, Monarchy or Republic, sometimes Music Theory.

Comment

Steps to making easy money after nationalism

1) Research non-required techs @ max science.
              2) Sell and bankrupt other civ.

Only works if the French are on you map (they are the only ones who have given me over 60 gpt for industrial techs...)

There have been times when I have gotten another civ to only give me a 'world map' for a tech like rocketry. That's when you know you've broken a civ financially. It's a good feeling
              They're coming to take me away, ha ha...

Comment

If it's insignificant, why bother researching it? Wasting resources. It's all about careful management of resources.
                Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

On second thought, the AI seems to like all these insignificant techs....
                  Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                  "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
                    On second thought, the AI seems to like all these insignificant techs....
                    That's why I research none of them, ever. I just trade with the AI for the ones I really give a damn about.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

That's why I research none of them, ever. I just trade with the AI for the ones I really give a damn about.
                      Actually, if you're ahead, it will be profitable to research them. They'll pay you so much they become bankrupt.
                      Anti-bush and anti-Bush.

Comment

The early military techs are almost mandatory (except for unusual game conditions): chivalry and military tradition almost always. I research music theory when I think I have the time, and will be able to build Bach's. When built, Bach's is awesome. I'll also research sanitation myself.

I've never researched monarchy and usually buy communism, espionage, amphib combat and adv flight.

Comment

Have others noticed that the AI is not researching military tradition in the latest patch!! If you do it yourself, you can have the only three mover for eons.

I was interested in Aeson's linking sanitation and ecology?? If someone doesn't explain it, I'll have to resort to RTFM.

Thanks
                          Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Get them all, I say. But I'm anal about such things.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Literature: Always grab it
                              The Republic: Almost always grab it or trade for it
                              Monarchy: Ussually get it in a trade, could care less
                              Chivalry: Ussually trade for it while working towards economics
                              Printing Press: Often don't get it until the modern age
                              Music Theory: Ussually don't get it until late
                              Democracy: Ussually trade for it in the modern age
                              Economics: I beeline for this ussually after getting gunpowder
                              Navigation: Ussually trade for it unless I need it for some reason
                              Free Artistry: Don't get it until Late
                              Military Tradition: Always get it asap
                              Nationalism: Ussually trade for it asap
                              Communism: Rarely get it at all
                              Sanitation: I almost always research it after getting scientific method
                              Espionage: If I get it, I trade for it
                              Amphibous Warfare: Rarely get it at all
                              Advanced Flight: Rarely get it at all

Modern Techs: If Im building the ship, I just focus on what you need for that. If conquest, I get nukes & modern armor asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X