huge map take too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huge map take too long?

im playing my first game at 180x180 into the modern age. ive found out that if you change the standard map size to 180x180 (huge) that the turns dont take 15 min each. im close to finishing a game in two days, b4 it took two weeks to get to nationalism. maybe the slowdown is due to the label huge, not the size.
    can someone else try this and see if it speed your waits on a 180x180 map thx

I think your alias says it all.

I've switched all the map sizes in my game. This has no impact on turn length that I've noticed.

As a side note, I could never remember which map was what size since I changed them all, so I changed the names of the sizes too, to be more descriptive; so instead of "Large", I named the map "140x140". Now I always know what map size I'm on.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I have no speed problems when playing on Standard Map.
      (1minute wait in modern age)

I have 333Mhz Celeron with 64MB RAM.
      (Civ3 music turned off)

But if I try to play Huge Maps.
      It becomes unplayble.
      10-15 minutes in medivial age.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

cannabis may alter my mood, relieve stress, generate a positive attitude and open ones mind to a deeper conscience, but i dont think it makes my 64 kb ram comp run any faster . if you have no problems running large maps my congrats to you. this is for the cash challenged people who cant afford to upgrade and would like a way to play a huge map without 20 minute waits between turns.

Comment

Originally posted by player1

(Civ3 music turned off)

It becomes unplayble.
          10-15 minutes in medivial age. [/QUOTE]

thats my deal exactly. standard map,16 civs no problem, huge map was a waste of time . try switching the standard map to 180x180 and see if you see a differance. my differance was like day and night

Comment

Same here, but I wonder how can it be so, eh? I want to play 180x180 map with 16 civs, its very fun, but I tried it once... oh gawd, by the Industrial age, I stopped playing with like 8-10 minutes between turns.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

i think i now why it works now , but it has a flaw.
              i think the standard save is a smaller file that allows you to play faster with all the civs but , runs out of room to save after awhile. i played untill 1010ad the first day, 1630ad the second but when i went to load for the third day it gave me an error. reg save and all 5 auto saves gave the same error. the world was a 180x180 60% water continents so it was massive and the game was heavily modded. i think i just ran out of room to save info in the standard file, but the game kept playing fine. im gonna try a game with reg rules and 70% pangea to see if i can fit a full game in a standard file.
              i wish it warned you when a save was too large , that was the funnest game ive played yet

Comment

Originally posted by reefer addict
                try switching the standard map to 180x180 and see if you see a differance. my differance was like day and night
                how do you do that? i've waiting problems with huge maps, it would be cool to fix.
                Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

An explanation for why this might be (I haven't tested this (I'm at work on lunch break)). In the editor, there are flags for the optimal number of cities. The computer players absolutely will not build cities beyond twice this number even to claim critical resources (this I've tested before). The number of cities for standard is much smaller than for huge. As the path finder's (the biggest time sink) time is at least partially based on the number of cities the time savings may in fact be considerable. In addition to the cities themselves, the area that will be developed will be less so there will need to be less computation. To top it off, since there will be less cities that the AI owns, there will be less units to keep track of as each unit requires a certain amount of gold. This will have the side effect of making the AI less aggressive about expanding with settlers and conquering however.
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

You see, this, as well as for the people who want a 'simple game', is why all maps aren't the same size.

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                      , the area that will be developed will be less so there will need to be less computation.

the ai out built me in cities by far, i was 8th in land area untill i took out the french and there where 1000's of units all over the map.

i still think its the save size thats matters, if the game doesnt have to search thruas much room, less computing.

Comment

Originally posted by reefer addict
                        Originally posted by Stuie

cannabis may alter my mood, relieve stress, generate a positive attitude and open ones mind to a deeper conscience, but i dont think it makes my 64 kb ram comp run any faster . if you have no problems running large maps my congrats to you. this is for the cash challenged people who cant afford to upgrade and would like a way to play a huge map without 20 minute waits between turns.
                        I don't know about you, but I've never heard marijuana to be cheap.

I always laugh at the "deeper consciousness" comments. I guess beer does that for most people.

Just razzin ya.

Comment

Originally posted by player1

(Civ3 music turned off)

It becomes unplayble.
                          10-15 minutes in medivial age.
                          My 450Mhz PII with 256 RAM doesn't go much quicker than your. Did turning the music off make much of a difference?

Comment

Music off, means no MP3 decompression.

Saves some time.

Also TURN off auto save.
                            (I did)

Comment

I got 500 MHz Celeron, 128 MB RAM for it, Standard games run fine.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X