Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Warmongers: ever take an "intermission" for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Warmongers: ever take an "intermission" for fun?

Say when you have conquered a huge continent. Become all powerful and the rest of the world is hopelessly behind.

Instead of upgrading all your knights once you get cavalry and conquering the rest of the world. Hold off and build some, go to democracy and wait until you get tanks for fun. Just to build up your mighty empire and see it flourish.

I dunno if this really hurts your score than maybe you should just conquer as quick as you can and finish everything off in the middle ages and restart a new game.

So basically do you try to conquer the world as soon as possible or sometimes wait and take an "Intermission" then once you get to late industrial/or modern finish the moping up operation.

edit: or maybe I should just move up to emperor from monarch.
    Last edited by Artifex; July 11, 2002, 20:28.

I'm a warmonger, and personally I never take "Intermissions" as you define them. when I got for domination i go as fast as i can.

I do, however, play "Intermission" GAMES, where i actually try a "builder" path.

I usually end up going to war, but it's fun to play in a couple of different ways now and then. Democracy is great except that whole "no war" thing
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Am I having a dejavu or have i seen this thread somewhere?

Anyhow,

Only cats and dogs play with their food so to speak. I always go for the kill whenever possible.
      Janitor, janitor
      scrub in vein
      for the $h1t house poet
      have struck again

Comment

There are times when this, with variations, is the appropriate strat.... this will be even more true in MP.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Heh, something i've been trying in more recent games. Not killing off my neighbors, this means not even conquering citys when war is declared on me, simply defending and a bit of raiding. Some nice powerful civs develop, then you get to have fun in the modern age when a big war breaks out.
          "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

It has to be mentioned that, the faster you get victory, the more score you get.

And Uber, of course you got to try different paths. In MP, there might well be situations where you're not suitable for a warmonger path.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: For Warmongers: ever take an "intermission" for fun?

Originally posted by Artifex
              Instead of upgrading all your knights once you get cavalry and conquering the rest of the world. Hold off and build some, go to democracy and wait until you get tanks for fun. Just to build up your mighty empire and see it flourish.
              I recently finished a game where that was my strategy. I had such a large section of continent to settle, it took most of my production to build all the settlers and improvements to claim the land. Once that was done, with the world so crowded, my neighbors became jealous of my wealth. So after 5695 years of peace, war came to German.

German Valor

Jeder ist seines Glückes Schmied

Comment

That's an awesome story, Zachriel, especially the headlines in German . I always have great fun to visit your site.

Comment

I wouldn't worry 'bout me score iff'n I was ye.

'Tis only important ta'ave fun wik yer game. I prefer ta' be small an' put-upon, until I exact me ferocious revenge!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
                  http://www.ststs.com/CGI_BIN/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=cut
                  Dan Severn of the Loose Cannon Alliance
                  ------------------------
                  ¡Mueran todos los Reyes!

Comment

Zachriel: As always, I enjoy reading your stories. Well done!

"They smile a lot, but at night there are strange whispers in the dark." I wish I can write like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonsinger
                      Zachriel: As always, I enjoy reading your stories. Well done!

"They smile a lot, but at night there are strange whispers in the dark." I wish I can write like that!
                      You only make up for it by beating the game so bad it shames us all, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
                        Heh, something i've been trying in more recent games. Not killing off my neighbors, this means not even conquering citys when war is declared on me, simply defending and a bit of raiding. Some nice powerful civs develop, then you get to have fun in the modern age when a big war breaks out.
                        In my last game (still playing) i trying something similar, but slightly different. I don't do any tech trading, I will sell but not but or even conquer. So basically i'm doing my own research
                        Iwas lucky to get a GL to buy the Great Library when i was way behind.
                        I'm numero uno at the moment but getting behind, still this should make the game interesting in he modern ages. BTW this game is on emperor
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                        X