Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove your forces or declare war NOW. (how do I get this option?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove your forces or declare war NOW. (how do I get this option?)

What are the rules for when you get to force a decision vs. when you only get the option to *ask* them to leave?

I have a Roman Legionary sitting right next to one of my cities. I go into the diplomacy screen, and my only option is "Your forces are within our borders! Remove them NOW!" rather than the more forceful "Remove your forces or declare war." (something like that). What are the conditions for the more decisive option?

You just get it. Embassy pre-requistive I think.

The funny thing is, you get the option too if the AI has no units in your territory. So you can play the insane recluse like North Korea's leader (what's his name?) and demand strange things and blame the US for your own military agression.
    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Re: Remove your forces or declare war NOW. (how do I get this option?)

Originally posted by RedBird
      What are the rules for when you get to force a decision vs. when you only get the option to *ask* them to leave?

I have a Roman Legionary sitting right next to one of my cities. I go into the diplomacy screen, and my only option is "Your forces are within our borders! Remove them NOW!" rather than the more forceful "Remove your forces or declare war." (something like that). What are the conditions for the more decisive option?
      same unit 3 times in a row I think, or just 3 times in a row. Also when the unit is within the city radius.
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Re: Remove your forces or declare war NOW. (how do I get this option?)

You get the option if the AI troops have moved next to your city, or if they have been repeatedly violating your territory (i.e., they move a unit or two across the border every turn and you order them out every turn).

EDIT: didn't read the question carefully enough. Maybe you only get the 'leave or war' option when the legionary is actually moving?
        Last edited by GeneralTacticus; July 8, 2002, 22:27.

Comment

Originally posted by dexters
          You just get it. Embassy pre-requistive I think.
          Nope, I just built an embassy, and I still don't have the "or declare war" version.

Originally posted by Thrawn05
          same unit 3 times in a row I think, or just 3 times in a row. Also when the unit is within the city radius.
          Nope and nope. I just tried it about five times in a row, still no "or declare war" version, and the unit is already not only inside the city radius, but in a square immediately adjacent to the city.

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
          Maybe you only get the 'leave or war' option when the legionary is actually moving?
          What do you mean by moving? He hasn't been sitting there, and he has a settler with him so I presume he's moving through. I have some unclaimed territory inside a cultural bubble, and they're crossing over me to get to that. I, of course, want to leave that land for my own settlers, but I don't have any handy right now.

Comment

Nope and nope. I just tried it about five times in a row, still no "or declare war" version, and the unit is already not only inside the city radius, but in a square immediately adjacent to the city.
            Are you sure you are using 1.21f? Because that shouldn't be.
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

Are you sure you are using 1.21f? Because that shouldn't be.
              Yes. 1.21f on the startup screen, and all the changes in the read-me are present in the game.

Which part "shouldn't be", asking three times, or being within the city radius?

Comment

What do you mean by moving? He hasn't been sitting there, and he has a settler with him so I presume he's moving through. I have some unclaimed territory inside a cultural bubble, and they're crossing over me to get to that. I, of course, want to leave that land for my own settlers, but I don't have any handy right now.
                In your first post you said he was sitting next to one of your cities, so I assumed he wasn't moving.

Comment

You get this option when you do it several times in a row like Thrawn5 said (only once per turn!) or when the AI evidently violates your territory by bringing lots of troops at once.

I don't know the exact algorithm behind this but it's the same with your violations of AI territory. It takes several turns for the "declare war" message to pop up and if you put a lot of troops in the AI's territory at once you will get the message immediately (=on AI's turn).

Comment

Do you have a right of passge agreement with the AI? AFAIK you would be able to tell them to get out if you have one!
                    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Are you right clicking and slecting the legionary as opposed to directly contacting the Romans?

Are you sure that you are "Contacting Roman Legionary" as opposed to "Contacting Roman Settler"?

AFAIK, Contacting a settler/worker never brings up the war version of this demand.
                      Fitz. (n.) Old English
                      1. Child born out of wedlock.
                      2. Bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz
                        Are you right clicking and slecting the legionary as opposed to directly contacting the Romans?
                        Shift-D.

And (for The Pioneer) no Right-of-Passage.

PS: I'm still testing the "contact three times" theory. The problem is in three turns the units will have successfully traversed my territory. I'm trying to block them (peacefully) with my cultural borders.

Comment

Move some of your units (they don't have to be strong - Warriors or even diplomats will do) to the "unclaimed land" inside your empire. If your units are guarding the open territory, the AI can't build there - but MAKE SURE you have ALL unclaimed land guarded. Then when your culture eventually does expand to encompass this territory, you can move your units away.
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I think that you need some (more than one) enemy battle unit on your territory.
                            money sqrt evil;
                            My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

9 times out of 10 they will declare war anyway if you ask the mto move. The computer never can work out if 100 pikemen will beat 20mech infantry. This is a great way of declaring war yourself and staying clean.

A great way of getting an ai to cross your border is if there is a barbarian camp on the otherside. They will send their entire army to whack it.

late in the game this can be quite scarey if 200+ units stroll right across your land.

"Its alright mate, me and the other 15 million lads (in full battle gear) are just heading over to the otherside there, you dont mind really..."
                              The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Working...
                              X