Great Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Leaders

Just something I had been wondering about them...

Is it possible to get a Great Leader while fighting a barbarian unit? I wouldn't think so, since barbarian-infested goody huts are everywhere it seems, and I have a lot of elite warriors running around smacking camps around and whatnot, and not once have I ever gotten a GL from one.

Nope, doesn't happen.

I would think that would be TOO easy. Especially on raging hordes. You'd practically get a guaranteed GL every uprising, which would be far too simple.

Comment

Actually, it can happen. For non-militaristic civs, the chance is 1 in 16 (if your elite unit wins), and for militaristic civs, its 1 in 8 (as far as I know). I think Catt posted this information in his "Public Service Announcement" thread.
      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

All promotion odds are halved against barbs?

Have you had 32 or more elite unit wins against barbs?
        Are we having fun yet?

Comment

I've never gained a GL from barbs. Including instances where a single spearman defeated 16 Horse in 1 turn. He was Elite after 4 or 5.

/Edit. As a Roman.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzin
            Actually, it can happen. For non-militaristic civs, the chance is 1 in 16 (if your elite unit wins), and for militaristic civs, its 1 in 8 (as far as I know). I think Catt posted this information in his "Public Service Announcement" thread.
            Yoy can become 'elite' against barbarians, but
            then will never produce GL against barbs.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Okay, I've gotten 3 people who say "no it can't happen" and someone who says "yes it can and it proves it at such-and-such place".

Comment

okay, having checked that other thread, i rescind my statement!! its was a 1 in 16 chance for promotion from veteran to elite. 1 in 8 for militaristic civs.

sorry guys, my bad!
                If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Absolutely no ability to generate GLs off of barbs.
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Is this documented somewhere? I recall hearing that someone gained a GL from barbs, but I didn't see it myself.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Posted by Soren in January (the last paragraph is his):

"Originally posted by Grunthex
                      Regarding point 3, you never get a Great Leader off killing barbarians. You MUST fight another civilization. This was done deliberately to prevent Leader farming. At least so said Firaxis pre-release, and all my observations confirm it.

Also, you are more likely to produce a leader from an offensive victory than a defensive one..."
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        Posted by Soren in January (the last paragraph is his):

"Originally posted by Grunthex
                        Regarding point 3, you never get a Great Leader off killing barbarians. You MUST fight another civilization. This was done deliberately to prevent Leader farming. At least so said Firaxis pre-release, and all my observations confirm it.

Also, you are more likely to produce a leader from an offensive victory than a defensive one..."
                        Thank you.

And don't worry Zanzin, we forgive you (that's what we'll tell you at least).

Comment

Theseus is correct - barbarian fighting cannot produce great leaders -- it can only produce promotions.

And the base-line odds for leader generation are 1/16 on attack, 1/32 on defense; with the heroic epic, 1/12 on the attack, 1/24 on defense.

Militaristic or non-militaristic makes no difference on odds (also from a Soren post - this one in March).

Catt

Comment

Working...
                          X