Mass Transit?? Take a cab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Transit?? Take a cab.

I used to think recycling was a waste of time. That not being the case, can anyone give good reasons why mass transit's not a waste of time. Thanks!!
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Totally eliminates pollution caused by high population.

Yes, an army of workers can usually deal with pollution pretty easily.

But less pollution means a lot less "Pollution has struck Beijing" "Pollution has struck Nanking" etc., at the beginning of each turn, always complimented by the hollywood-esqe rapid "camera movement" zooms onto random cities throughout your empire, known to cause even hardcore civers to occasionally reach for the dramamine .

Less pollution also means less time repositioning citizen laborers after the pollution is cleaned.

Comment

Less polution also reduces the risk of having your huge city go into starvation mode.
      Janitor, janitor
      scrub in vein
      for the $h1t house poet
      have struck again

Comment

Mass Transit is GREAT builidng if you have 20+ pop cities.

On the other hand, Recycling center is usulay not worth, especialy is you already have Hover Dam (and thus less polluting Plants).

Comment

Except for Aeson's recycling ploy.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Don't forget that by eliminating population-based pollution, Mass Transit also reduces the chance that global warming will occur. If you are going to be running a set of metropolises, then it definitely pays to use it.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If mass transit increased the productivity of a metropolis' workers, maybe it would be worth giving up other production to get it. I'm sort of convinced that it's better to give my captured workers a little exercise cleaning up pollution. I don't see much starvation due to pollution and with RR it doesn't take long for the workers to eliminate it.
              Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Are you joking.

If I had no Mass Transits in mine 20+ pop cities I would get new pollution every turn several times.

And that's painfull to micromanage with workers.

Comment

Whats starvation mode?

I build them when I can just to keep down the anoyance of the pollution pop-up.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

player1,
                    I have always built Mass Transit. My last marathon game I was often putting many workers into storage after they were on pollution duty and had nothing to do, and then a turn or two later Shift-P'ing. THAT was time consuming (especially since the vast majority of them were foreign workers and I was not an industrious civ).

If I had more pollution, I might have had LESS work to do!

Comment

Jaybe, you could Shift-A your workers after you're done with them, it will do exactly as you do by hand. Clean up polution, after it's finished go back to sleep only to wake again when polution occurs.

BTW, I agree that the most useful thing of mass production is spending less time watching screen jumping and worker-allocation. But you have to pay for that, so I'd rather have patience each turn than to turn the tech-slider down

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                        Whats starvation mode?

I build them when I can just to keep down the anoyance of the pollution pop-up.
                        It's not starvation mode per se...One or two tile being useless would led to food shortages if the city is not growing. I just call it starvation mode.
                        Janitor, janitor
                        scrub in vein
                        for the $h1t house poet
                        have struck again

Comment

DeepO,
                          I DO NOT Shift-A my workers in the late game, because:

I lose track of them, and they are off doing something I sometimes specifically do NOT want to do, such as 'improving' some terrain in my borders that I do not want road/railed/deforested.

For example: A city is at stable population with irrigation and road, but rail will have it yo-yo up and starve down. Shift-A would most probably mess with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                            For example: A city is at stable population with irrigation and road, but rail will have it yo-yo up and starve down. Shift-A would most probably mess with that.
                            The advantage of shift-A (opposed to just A) is, that irrigations and mines don't get replaced, once they are there. So if the city radius is properly improved, you won't have a problem.

Comment

Yes Lucilla, I have used it (sparingly). I was just saying that I always get upset by what it occasionally does in late game -- there are particular things I do NOT want done on particular tiles.

Another example: I want woods in tiles that are not within a city radius. They are my 'parks', but they will not stay that way if I shift-A. BTW, your post did not address my specific example that you quoted.

Bottom line: I do not Shift-A in the late game.

Comment

Working...
                              X