Do we like Civ3 or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we like Civ3 or not?

I must admit I am really tired of the neverending disputes over the quality of Civ3. I believe they have been pretty much dull all the time... repeating same or similar arguments over and over. A waste of time for those who already own the game, tiresome/confusing for those that consider buying it. What about making a general satisfaction poll, free of any discussions/arguments?

Let everybody expresses his/her (dis)satisfaction with the game. Let everybody briefly rates various concepts/features as great, OK, or bad. Such a poll/thread might be a real bless for those that consider buying the game. And the rest of us might finally learn what we belong to: the majority or the minority...

For those of you willing to spend a couple of minutes, here is the guide to this poll:

Ultimately satisfied – "I just love Civ3, it is the best game I have ever played!"
    Satisfied, enjoying it – "For me, it is a great game, even if not perfect."
    Somewhat satisfied – "A good game, although it lacks a lot to be great."
    No distinct feeling – "Nothing special of a game, just a mediocre product."
    Dissatisfied – "I do not like Civ3 very much, though it has some bright moments."
    Disgusted - "A total crap and waste of my money."

Consider the current version of the game (1.21f), please, and try looking at the game as something it is, rather than something it was in your dreams and it is now not .

I believe it would also be interesting to see if there is any relation between one's Civ3 satisfaction and whether and how much one played/liked (plays/likes) Civ1, Civ2, CtP, CtP2, SMAC, EU, EU2 and Civ3. Therefore I (and perhaps others, too) would appreciate a lot, if people voting in the poll add short posts including some background info and what they (dis)like about the game. Ladies and gentlemen, do your best to be brief and do not respond to others' posts here, please – the last thing I would like to start is yet another endless dispute... If you change your mind, wish to clarify or append something, edit your initial post instead of adding another one. I guess it would be best to have just a single post per voter only.
    Ultimately satisfied
    13.16%
    Satisfied, enjoying it
    54.39%
    Somewhat satisfied
    16.67%
    No distinct feelings
    1.75%
    Dissatisfied
    11.40%
    Disgusted
    2.63%

Re: Do we like Civ3 or not?

Background: played/loved Civ2 (hundreds of hours), played/didn’t like SMAC (30hrs), did not play Civ1, CtP/CtP2, EU/EU2 at all; a bit more of a builder than warmonger
    Civ3: voted "Satisfied, enjoying it"; still playing after 300+ hrs (10-15 hrs every two or three weeks, Regent level); IMHO, way better than Civ2.

My thumbs definitely up for: culture, resources, trade, civ-specific traits/units, terrain generator, graphics, AI, great wonders, small wonders, Firaxis response/support
    Satisfied with: diplomacy, user interface, tech tree, units, corruption, civilopedia, replayability, war weariness, combat, restricted movement in the enemy territory
    Not satisfied with: spying, UN vote, naval air warfare, waste
    Don’t care about: editor, governors, wonder movies, scoring system, city flipping, multiplayer, scenarios

Comment

Satisfied, enjoying it
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I do. But it could've been better.
        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

The problem with Civ III is not the format, or the graphics, or anything of that ilk: the problem is that CivII is now what? - 6 years old?, and we see very little progression from there.
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          Odysseus and the March of Time
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Please allow me to re-para-phrase that:
            The problem with our world; our civilization is not the format, or the graphics, or anything of that ilk: the problem is that our world; our civilization is now what? – 6,000 years old?, and we see very little progression from there.
            I’ll probably get flamed for this, but it’s just an observation.

Comment

I voted for dissatisfied, but a better choice for me would be disappointed. The more I have played the game, the more I have liked it. While that's a good thing, when I think of Alpha Centauri, I shudder to think what might have been. It's addictive still, but that level of love I had with previous incarnations is gone.

Comment

I enjoy it, for sure...yet it just falls short of being a great game, in some undefinable way...
                "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Originally posted by miccofl
                  Please allow me to re-para-phrase that:
                  The problem with our world; our civilization is not the format, or the graphics, or anything of that ilk: the problem is that our world; our civilization is now what? – 6,000 years old?, and we see very little progression from there.
                  I’ll probably get flamed for this, but it’s just an observation.
                  History repeats.
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

not!
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

History Repeats

Are you saying that Civ II upon release was this bad too? Shame on you .
                      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Well, on release, Civ II did not multiplayer nor scenarios.

Comment

Overall its a pretty good game. Some faults here and there; AI, lack of scenarios & ablity to make them, lack of certain units. Well maybe not that first reason, I'll never be satisfied until i can't tell if I'm playing the computer or a human. But that probaly won't happen for another 5 to 10 years, and when that happens I'll start worrying.
                          Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
                          If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
                          If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

Its not perfect, but it definitely beats Civ II.

Let's just say I am satisfied (I mean I am still playing it).
                            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

of course we like it. if we didn't we wouldn't complain we'd throw it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X