Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Know your Enemy's Enemy is your Friend, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Know your Enemy's Enemy is your Friend, but...

I have a war with the Greeks, and wipe them out. A few turns later, I go to see the French, and my adviser advises that I be careful because the French betrayed "our friends the Greeks".
    As the title says, I know your enemy's enemy is your friend, but considering I destroyed the Greek civilisation calling them my friends seems a bit strange! Hardly a major problem, but maybe one that could be amended sometime.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense. Sauf si c'est moi.

Yeah I always found that strange. There are a few other examples of little quirks like this one. One of these examples is when during diplo negotiations you offer the AI 2 luxuries, world map, 1 tech for only 1 of his tech's and he says "forget it, it's never going to happen"!

That's frustrating but then after about 10 turns when I have saved up about 2000 gold I try the same deal again and he agrees because I've sweetened the deal by throwing in 900 gold. Now why couldn't he have said that in the first place instead of saying forget it, it's never going to happen.

Sometimes I feel like getting in my car and driving all the way to maryland and finding the guy who programmed this game and seriously $^#@%^#@%&@%^@&@@#$^&@$#&#$ him up.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
      Yeah I always found that strange. There are a few other examples of little quirks like this one. One of these examples is when during diplo negotiations you offer the AI 2 luxuries, world map, 1 tech for only 1 of his tech's and he says "forget it, it's never going to happen"!

That's frustrating but then after about 10 turns when I have saved up about 2000 gold I try the same deal again and he agrees because I've sweetened the deal by throwing in 900 gold. Now why couldn't he have said that in the first place instead of saying forget it, it's never going to happen.

Sometimes I feel like getting in my car and driving all the way to maryland and finding the guy who programmed this game and seriously $^#@%^#@%&@%^@&@@#$^&@$#&#$ him up.
      Ten turns later the tech might be much cheaper, because other civs discovered it. If you ask the AI what he wants for a tech or resource and he says "it's never going to happen", that means that you simply don't have enough to offer at that time. A few turns later, the price might have changed drastically.
      Also take into account that the value of luxury resources depends directly on how many happy faces you (or the AI respectively) would gain, so the price for that changes with the number of cities, number of market places and other luxury resources you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla
        Ten turns later the tech might be much cheaper, because other civs discovered it. If you ask the AI what he wants for a tech or resource and he says "it's never going to happen", that means that you simply don't have enough to offer at that time. A few turns later, the price might have changed drastically.
        Also take into account that the value of luxury resources depends directly on how many happy faces you (or the AI respectively) would gain, so the price for that changes with the number of cities, number of market places and other luxury resources you already have.
        Thanks for the clarification!

I wish though that the programmers simply wrote what you said into the AI's reply instead of "Forget it, it's never going to happen". It is true that after playing for a while any intelligent person can figure out why the AI is saying no, but a simple straight answer would save many a headache.
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Re: I Know your Enemy's Enemy is your Friend, but...

Originally posted by Pillager
          As the title says, I know your enemy's enemy is your friend, but considering I destroyed the Greek civilisation calling them my friends seems a bit strange!
          I didn't really understand this either, but rationalized that perhaps your advisor is just being diplomatic or using rhetoric to convince you that the French really ARE evil. Either way it doesn't ring true.

Comment

I have a war with the Greeks, and wipe them out. A few turns later, I go to see the French, and my adviser advises that I be careful because the French betrayed "our friends the Greeks".
            As the title says, I know your enemy's enemy is your friend, but considering I destroyed the Greek civilisation calling them my friends seems a bit strange! Hardly a major problem, but maybe one that could be amended sometime.
            Yeah, must agree with this. And especially this one would be extremely easy to fix - just omit the word "friends" and it is WAY better: "French betrayed the Greeks (in the past)." No need to say whether Greeks were our friends or not. I prefer to keep myself at a distance from all those other guys anyway... all of them have already betrayed me one time or another...

Comment

Thanks for the clarification!

I wish though that the programmers simply wrote what you said into the AI's reply instead of "Forget it, it's never going to happen". It is true that after playing for a while any intelligent person can figure out why the AI is saying no, but a simple straight answer would save many a headache.
              I guess, my answer would have been to long to fit into the box on the screen

Comment

Well, if you destroyed them, I'm sure you kept a couple of their cities, so the Greek people are now your friends.

Basically, the game sees any civ you are not at war with as "friend". Simple solution, they could put "The French have betrayed the Greeks before, don't trust them." No reference to friend at all. Easy as pie.

Comment

Why don’t you just change the text file? You can have all sorts of other fun there as well. You would not believe the things that hot little number I downloaded for a Cultural Advisor wants me to do with her in ALL my cities…

Comment

. . .Sometimes I feel like getting in my car and driving all the way to maryland and finding the guy who programmed this game and seriously $^#@%^#@%&@%^@&@@#$^&@$#&#$ him up.
                    Yea. Take a number and get in line.

So they're in Maryland!

Comment

They prefer cash as to deals per turn aswell.
                      certainly when you are not on 'polite/gracious' terms.
                      culture and militairy capabilities come into the picture too.
                      This is all offcourse coming from personnel experience and could be well off
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

perhaps the advisor is being sarcastic?

or more likely, the programmer was drunk?

Comment

hi ,

, would it be possible to post a SAV(e) ,.....

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

1 week of posting ban and 10% pcr to Haupt. Dietrich, and Coracle for their "jokes"
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

That'll be Soren then.

But seriously, this has got to be a bug rather than a design feature. It sounds like what happens is that for the purposes of reputation, friend/enemy status isn't taken into account. SO betraying your enemies is frowned upon! Also, bearing in mind that the AI isn't as smart as we are, if France got the message "Germany [you] betrayed our friends the English" - even though France was at war with England, your standing with France would still go down. Which has got to be a bug.
                              Up the Irons!
                              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                              Odysseus and the March of Time
                              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Working...
                              X