Contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact?

Does it make sense that a player can communicate with any civilization on the map at any momment if they only have contact? That we can trade contact with other players? I think it would make much more sense if you could only communicate with a civ if you had units in contact or within that civs territory until you established an embassy. This change would keep techs and other info from flying around the continents and make the game more realistic. What do you think?
    Duddha: I will return...
    Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
    "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
    Free California!

Given the fact that in the early stages of the game turns are 10 – 50 years long, the communication without direct contact is not so unrealistic. The diplomatic mission goes out, travels, makes contact and returns. Trading contact is nothing more than making introductions. But this assumes that Firaxis assumes that we would assume that diplomatic missions should be assumed to be like trade – assumed.
    Now trade is something that is unrealistic. What nation would make a 200-400 year trade deal without allowing for renegotiation?

Comment

China, at gunpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by miccofl
        Given the fact that in the early stages of the game turns are 10 – 50 years long, the communication without direct contact is not so unrealistic. The diplomatic mission goes out, travels, makes contact and returns. Trading contact is nothing more than making introductions. But this assumes that Firaxis assumes that we would assume that diplomatic missions should be assumed to be like trade – assumed.
        Now trade is something that is unrealistic. What nation would make a 200-400 year trade deal without allowing for renegotiation?
        Well IMO, it would be quite annoying if the AI came up every turn to renegotiate...
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

That was a game balance issue, as noted. It would be annoying if you had to renegotiate every deal every few turns.

I think most people here accept the fact that Civ III is not really trying to emulate reality, but create a version of it.
          AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
          Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
          Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Agreed, but 20 turns is excessive.

Comment

Agreed, but 20 turns is excessive.
              There should be the option in the editor to change this ,
              either more or less turns .

Comment

hi ,

one thing that is a bit frustrating is the "hidden nationality" , you are passing with your unit true territoy , so far so good , now you dont want to get contact with that civ , but certainly you get a nice "hi" from that civ , .......

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                X