Cheater!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheater!

Last night I discovered with absolute certainty that the AI "cheats" i.e. knows where you are, your units, etc...

The AI was sending LOTS of units towards a city of mine (2 Inf. guarding) then when they reached the city I re loaded from the autosave 2turns back and send forces to the city from a route that they should not be able to see them (I had RR which gave me the ability to pack a lot in the city). Well the AI just turned around and went for another city which I was the least defended in the area.

Ok, it could have been a diverting move from the AI (yeah right!)!

I actually do not mind that the AI sees such things, it should so it can compensate for its lack of .... well... human evil brains ....

I always suspected the fact but I played the same couple turns over and over again just experimenting and I am pretty certain now.
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Re: Cheater!

Originally posted by The Pioneer
    Last night I discovered with absolute certainty that the AI "cheats" i.e. knows where you are, your units, etc...

The AI was sending LOTS of units towards a city of mine (2 Inf. guarding) then when they reached the city I re loaded from the autosave 2turns back and send forces to the city from a route that they should not be able to see them (I had RR which gave me the ability to pack a lot in the city). Well the AI just turned around and went for another city which I was the least defended in the area.

Ok, it could have been a diverting move from the AI (yeah right!)!

I actually do not mind that the AI sees such things, it should so it can compensate for its lack of .... well... human evil brains ....

I always suspected the fact but I played the same couple turns over and over again just experimenting and I am pretty certain now.
    Sounds like you cheated.....
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

although i congrat you on discovering this. It is not new. This subject is well covered for in other threads.

You could use this to your advantage if you want to. Open up your core cities and the AI will neglect the border ones.

I personally try to avoid this as i don't think it fair to the AI. For me this is an exploit, but no everyone agrees
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't say that behaviour was already in Civ 1, but it was certainly in Civ 2 and SMAC.
        But, yeah, it sucks to see the AI to cheat like that.
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Re: Re: Cheater!

Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Sounds like you cheated.....

I was just experimenting!
          Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
          Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
          Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

The AI knows the location of all your units. This one is well known and one of the few real cheats.

Comment

I do not treat AI knowledge of my location as cheating. Since AI is just a computer subroutine, it can't go with instinct like we do; therefore, it must use other mean to help it make the best move...to make the game more challenging and more enjoyable for us. Another way to look at this...for example, if you are 200 lbs, would you prefer to wrestle with just one 50 lbs opponent, four 50 lbs opponents, or eight 50 lbs opponents?

Comment

The AI has Uber Spies - knowing all yer unit placements.

Comment

Please name a strategy game in which the AI doesn't cheat (on at least the more challenging difficulty levels).

A computer game's AI isn't comparable with a human brain in terms of strategic skills. The only advantages the computer has is perfect knowledge of game concepts, rules, etc. and the possibility to cheat.

Comment

an unfortunate truth. do you think it could ever be different, though? will AI programmers ever be able to develop an AI that doesnt need to cheat at complicated strategy games?
                    "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality" Jules de Gaultier, French writer

Comment

Originally posted by SomeOneElse
                      an unfortunate truth. do you think it could ever be different, though? will AI programmers ever be able to develop an AI that doesnt need to cheat at complicated strategy games?
                      IMHO not for many long years i'm affraid

but look how it i'mproved in the last 10 years ( civ1 ---> Civ3). So i guess ther's hope afterall

Someone will respond to this. I wonder who
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Actually Ive found at times you can use the AI's knowledge of your information to your advantage. Corralling the huge AI armies one direction instead of another. Its kinda fun.
                        "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by mwaf
                          Please name a strategy game in which the AI doesn't cheat (on at least the more challenging difficulty levels).
                          Space Empires IV Gold
                          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Yes it is well know that the AI cheats without it the AI would be truly useless. The AI will never be equal to a human player and that is why so many of us were so deeply dissappointed that MP wasn't included.

Hopefully, PtW's version of MP will be at least as good as Civ2 MP or CTP2 MP.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I use this as an a way to trap the AI. I don't leave any city open but keep my borders well protected. Once I see a large army heading towards my border I increase the numbers at the border and leave no way for the approaching army to get through. Obviously they were coming for me and soon enough declare war on me. Much better than me declaring war on them. Then use my large stack of border units to destroy their units, usually very large army, and start taking as many cities as I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X