No announcement yet.

Who still plays Civ II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I jumped straight from Civ1 to Civ3. I bought Civ2, but I never really liked it much. Civ1 was the best back in its time, though after playing Civ3 I wouldn't want to go back again.
    My nickname in the PTW matchmaking system is Psygnosis.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

You're not the only one. Bruce Shelley, of Age of Empire fame, has stated that he prefers Civ1. And I'll venture that Jeff Briggs, the lead designer of Civ3, also prefers Civ1. And, IIRC, Civ3 was supposed to be a return to the spirit of Civ 1, a simple, fun, light-hearted game. I wonder, do you prefer Civ3 to Civ2?

I definately prefer Civ3 to Civ2.

Right now I am playing more Civ3 than Civ1, but you are so right. Civ1 really had a simple, fun spirit and I think Civ3 captures some of that spirit.

sboog

Comment

while civ2 was a supreme game in its time, i feel that civ3, despite misperfection, is a true successor. it is very enjoyable, and civ2 just feels old in comparisson. therefore, i spend nearly all my time on civ3
        "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality" Jules de Gaultier, French writer

Comment

I own Civ I, II, III, SMAC, and CtP.

I play all 5 of them. But Civ III gets the most play time now.

One of the big reasons I don't play Civ II anymore is because you can't move your mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll the view.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

Both the Civ 3 AI, and Culture Flipping, stink like old poop.
            Originally posted by nato

I used to think culture flipping was a major problem. Since improving my play, it is no longer an issue for me. Culture flips generally only happen in my favor, even though I play very war monger.
            I love this. I agree with you nato, culture flips rarely happen to me. Coracle must not be a very good player.

Comment

Only play civ 2 at work if it is a slow day as I haven't got civ3 installed at work. And then I only play scenarios. Civ3 is so much better than civ2. I also never have problems with my cities flipping to the AI. I enjoy the AI cities flipping to me though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

Both the Civ 3 AI, and Culture Flipping, stink like old poop.
                That is a perfect quote!

I disagree, but at least you show a little bit of a sense of humor!

Can I put that in my signature?
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I became extremely tired of Civ2 about 6 months before SMAC came out. While I definitely bounce back and forth between Civ3 and SMAC/X, both of them are so far superior to Civ2 it is ridiculous. I do wish they'd reintroduce terraforming, but it was much too easy to exploit.

Comment

only civ2. i played civ3 briefly, but grew bored of it (quit playing just before the first patch and haven't played since). i find civ2 to be more enjoyable due to scenarios and multiplayer, but also for a nice quiet game without having the ai plop down cities all over, under, inbetween, around, and jammed in sidewise...
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

CTP2
                      (modded, of course)
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I still occasionally play Colonization, although not very much (hey Col 2 would be cool) and I also divulge myself in the pleasure of laying Railroad Tracks in RRT2!
                        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

I play both games, love them both. Civ2 mainly because of all the different scenarios that add to the experience of playing it. I also agree that the AI is much better on Civ3 than Civ2, the so-called settler-diarrhea. Well its just fine by me, I thought the lack of expansion of AI civilisations in Civ2 to be very irritating. Their lack of size and the ease with which you could eventually dominate by sheer numbers was something that had to be improved, something that they did admirably.

Comment

Hmmm, it has been a long time since I last played Civ2. I'm still a fervent player of SMAC though.

Comment

hmmm.. civI... had almost forgotten that one. Is it shareware now ? cant believe they would accept money for a 10 year old game or....?

Comment

Originally posted by sugar daddy
                                hmmm.. civI... had almost forgotten that one. Is it shareware now ? cant believe they would accept money for a 10 year old game or....?
                                Games don't "become freeware" simply because they are old. I'm sure you could find it somewhere to download for free, but it is still illegal to do so. Copyrights never expire. Patents do, but not copyrights.

I bought the "Ultimate Strategy Collection" for $6. It had 8 games in it and one of them was Civ I. I found it on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                                X