Who still plays Civ II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who still plays Civ II?

I have just found my Civ II(Along with Fantastic Worlds and Conflicts in Civilization Scenarios expantion packs) And instaled it in my computer. Although the videos dont play right( But hey I am use to this by playing Civ III with out thoes wonder movies, and advisor animations, And I play without the CD in Civ II. )
    I am just wondering in the Civ community whitch Civ games you play . Anyway I have placed a poll.
    Both Civ III and Civ II
    16.67%
    Just Civ III
    71.21%
    Just Civ II
    6.06%
    Others (Please specifiy.)
    3.03%
    Whats Civilization?
    3.03%
    "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Incase if anyone asks. I am still loyal to Civ III. Sometimes you just need to excape to an early game. (Thats what Simcity.com did, For thoes who are overexposed to the new game can excape to there online version of the game Sim City Classic .) Its not that I do not like Civ III (Its a preaty exelent game .) It just that you sometimes need to excape the ravages of the bugs before Civ III: PTW comes out .

Civ III is an exelent game

Civ II is an good game to excape.
    "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

Comment

I own Civ2, Smac and Civ3. I tried playing Civ2 recently, but I can't stand the interface. I could see myself taking SMAC out for a spin, however.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Civ 3 takes hours of my life, Civ 2 I still like but cant stand the damn active unit flashing at me - that really bugs me dunno why - also tried Colonization again recently. Didnt stay long. Thats progress I guess (?)
        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

I own Civ2 and Civ3 and tried SMAC in the past. I am unlikely to ever get back to Civ2, considering how easy it was to win it (at the same difficulty level)... Civ3 is a lot more challenge for me. And, to be honest, I have never become fond of SMAC, although I did spend numerous hours trying to get the taste of it. But that's probably just me... going to movies, I usually choose a historical drama instead of science fiction...

Comment

I play both, civ2 mainly due to the good scenarios...
            Blah

Comment

This may surprise some of you, but I still play Civ1 ! I never liked Civ2. There is just something magic (even though primitive by Civ3 standards) about Civ1.

sboog

Comment

I do only play Civ2. well, I just think its better game for me. maybe I'll try Civ3 again when new patches and add-on's appear.
                My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by sboog
                  This may surprise some of you, but I still play Civ1 ! I never liked Civ2. There is just something magic (even though primitive by Civ3 standards) about Civ1.

sboog
                  You're not the only one. Bruce Shelley, of Age of Empire fame, has stated that he prefers Civ1. And I'll venture that Jeff Briggs, the lead designer of Civ3, also prefers Civ1. And, IIRC, Civ3 was supposed to be a return to the spirit of Civ 1, a simple, fun, light-hearted game. I wonder, do you prefer Civ3 to Civ2?
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I don't care about scenarios or MP, so for me there is no big reason to play Civ2 instead of 3.

Civ2 does have some minor features that are better, like more buildings and terraforming, and some other things. But none of those are as big as the improved AI and the new culture in Civ3, among other things.
                    Good = Love, Love = Good
                    Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Civ3 only these days. I've not played any Civ2 (well a couple times) since SMACx, none since Civ3.
                      "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                      I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                      --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

just curious.. why do civ2's prefer this one to civ civ 3????
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Civ3 is the only official civ game I play (even though I own I and II). I still regularly play SMAC/X and CTP2: both games have a lot going for them and are in many respects far superior to civ3
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                          Odysseus and the March of Time
                          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by nato
                            I don't care about scenarios or MP, so for me there is no big reason to play Civ2 instead of 3.

Civ2 does have some minor features that are better, like more buildings and terraforming, and some other things. But none of those are as big as the improved AI and the new culture in Civ3, among other things.

Both the Civ 3 AI, and Culture Flipping, stink like old poop.

One of the better things about Civ 3 (and there aren't that many) is, well, give me time and I'll think of one. . .

Civ 2 was more fun, and the AI wasn't in your face.

Scenarios were a nearly vital part of Civ 2, and their absence in Civ 3 is a major flaw if not a rip off.

Comment

I knew I could count on you Coracle!

The Civ3 AI is certainly better than the Civ2 AI. You might be able to argue that the Civ3 still is no good, but it is definitely better than the Civ2 one. This is what I said. The Civ2 AI was indeed less in your face, which is a lot of why it was so easy to dominate.

I used to think culture flipping was a major problem. Since improving my play, it is no longer an issue for me. Culture flips generally only happen in my favor, even though I play very war monger. I do agree however that losing military forces to a flip is a bad design idea; it just no longer happens to me.

Like I said, I couldn't care less about scenarios, but to each their own.
                              Good = Love, Love = Good
                              Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Working...
                              X