Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you arrive at the Middle Ages, what is the date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you arrive at the Middle Ages, what is the date?

Those of you who play really well, please tell me when you first arrive at the Middle Ages what is the date.

The last game I played I arrived there at 1280 AD. Is that good or terrible?

sboog

I usuallly get to the Middle Ages around 60 AD on Regent
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Terrible.
      You'll be entering modern era at that time on huge map,emperor and maximum civilizations, if there is early contact between majority of civilizations. Thanks to insane tech trading.
      "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

The one I remember, which is my current game...arround 200-300 AD on regent and I think I was the last civ to get there.
        Janitor, janitor
        scrub in vein
        for the $h1t house poet
        have struck again

Comment

Sounds like you're playing chieftain.

The game speeds up on the higher levels of play. In a recent Emperor game, the AI hit the middle ages around 250bc. On monarch, it tends to get there shortly after the bc/ad changeover. I use the AI as the measuring stick here because I've taken to being a warmonger, which means beating tech out of the AI until the middle ages, and then settling down to build.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

1280 AD is terrible even at Regent.

I find the tech tree runs four or more centuries too fast at Monarch.

Comment

Yes. I am playing chieftain. I figured I was not doing that great.

sboog

Comment

quite simple put, the more contact you or the AI has: the quicker science moves along. Set up a game for you and 1 or 2 AI only, and see how long it takes to reach the middleages
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

In a recent game on Deity (the horror!) i was happily researching horseback riding when the computer informed me that the English were building the Sistine Chapel. Not too sure of the date but it was before AD.

Me don't fink me ready fur Diety!

BTW, is it still possible to keep up with technology by setting taxes to 100% and trading for techs with version 1.21? I don't really like doing it because it feels like cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                    quite simple put, the more contact you or the AI has: the quicker science moves along. Set up a game for you and 1 or 2 AI only, and see how long it takes to reach the middleages
                    alva848,

I don't quite understand what you mean by "the more contact you or the AI has." Do you mean contact between me and the other civ? Or do you mean the less civs there are, the quicker my turns roll around?

sboog

Comment

sboog,

Well, first of all, the AI is handicapped on Chieftain and Warlord. It operates with penalties to production and research, which effectively cripple it. Therefore, the human player ends up doing all the research him/herself, because there's no way the AI is gonna out-research you (at least not on chieftain).

The game will move faster on higher levels when the AI has either a level playing field (Regent) or has advantages (Monarch, Emperor, Deity).

CONTACT

As alva848 said, tech moves faster when large numbers of civs have contact with one another. This is due to tech devaluation. If a civ you know discovers a tech, there is a small drop in how much it takes to research that tech. If 2 know, it's a bigger drop, and so on. This will speed your research up.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        sboog,

Well, first of all, the AI is handicapped on Chieftain and Warlord. It operates with penalties to production and research, which effectively cripple it. Therefore, the human player ends up doing all the research him/herself, because there's no way the AI is gonna out-research you (at least not on chieftain).

*But that's good for me, isn't it? I wouldn't want the AI to get ahead.

CONTACT

As alva848 said, tech moves faster when large numbers of civs have contact with one another. This is due to tech devaluation. If a civ you know discovers a tech, there is a small drop in how much it takes to research that tech. If 2 know, it's a bigger drop, and so on. This will speed your research up.

*So if I play with 7 civs the whole game will move faster date wise? And with 7 civs it won't cost as much per tech? I'm still not sure I get it.

sboog

Comment

Originally posted by sboog
                          I don't quite understand what you mean by "the more contact you or the AI has." Do you mean contact between me and the other civ? Or do you mean the less civs there are, the quicker my turns roll around?
                          Contact between the AIs speeds up the tech development mainly because the AIs are madly trading techs among each other.
                          I usually play Monarch and the AIs enter Medieval Age some centuries BC.

I try to restrict early AI to AI tech trading by playing on Arcipelago maps, but it doesn't help as much as I would like.
                          Reducing the AI to AI trade rate in the editor didn't help either. If anyone does know a way how to solve this problem, PLEASE tell me! The high speed tech race in the Ancient Era is quite annoying and takes a lot of fun from the game (but not enough to stop me from playing )
                          Last edited by Der PH; June 21, 2002, 11:05.

Comment

sboog,

The idea is that once a tech is discovered by someone, it's easier (cheaper) to discover. Thus, the devaluation once 1 or more civs have a tech. You may see this early in the game when you meet a civ that has a different starting tech than you, if you're researching that tech. You will see the # of turns drop for no apparent reason.

Thus, the reason the game moves faster at the higher levels is that the AI can actually research as fast, or faster than you, and there will be times when they are ahead. Catching up isn't necessarily all that hard. You can trade, build the Great Library, or beat tech out of the AI with brute force.

Also, the AI on the higher levels is actually able to afford to buy stuff from you, so you can make some money off of them, and set your science rate higher.

Plus, it may be that you are making some mistakes that are slowing you down, but I can't comment because I'm not looking over your shoulder. If you are determined to do all the research yourself (as is the case on Chieftain), I would suggest playing a Scientific civ, such as the Babylonians or Persians. The 1 free tech per Age will speed things up a bit, as will the cheap libraries and universities.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              sboog,

The game will move faster on higher levels when the AI has either a level playing field (Regent) or has advantages (Monarch, Emperor, Deity).

CONTACT

-Arrian
                              i meant to say the same thing, but arrian explains it much better then i ever could
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X