Terraforming with Nukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terraforming with Nukes

Late in the game needing a boost in production, I found myself contemplating using nukes in a most unconventional way. I had a bunch of cities surrounded by rabbit-food (grasslands) giving piss-poor production. I also had a few tactical nukes lying around and about 100 workers who were mainly just sitting around in cities.

So I made sure everyone was wearing their blast glasses and detonated about 4 nukes in grassland areas around my cities, making sure none of the cities actually felt the effects of the blasts. In about 2 turns, all the pollution had dutifully been cleaned up by my workers, and I had terraformed lots of squares into more productive land.

I don't know if this has been talked about in the Strat. forum (sorry I don't read it). Anybody else try this?

-Apolex

sounds like a good plan, I'll have to try that.
    edit: but due to my lack of experience with nukes i must ask; what do nukes do to forests, jungles, mountains, deserts, and hills (if I missed something just tell me)

Comment

Nukes will take everything down 1 level. Grasslands to plains, plains to desert, desert nothing though. As for what it does to forests, it just destroys the forest, the tile of plains or grasslands underneath is unnefected. Once had an idea that if you knew where and when you were gonna be nuked, building forests all around could help lessen the effects.
      "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
        Nukes will take everything down 1 level. Grasslands to plains, plains to desert, desert nothing though. As for what it does to forests, it just destroys the forest, the tile of plains or grasslands underneath is unnefected. Once had an idea that if you knew where and when you were gonna be nuked, building forests all around could help lessen the effects.
        So forest do have a usefull function afterall

i don't think i have ever used or saw one used in of my games!!
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

This is too bizarre.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It sounds like some sort of 1950s infomercial about the wonder and glory of nuclear power.
            "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
            "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
            "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Is it then possible to remove jungle with nukes, and leave the ground underneath unaffected?
              It seems like a fast way to get rid of jungle, but I guess at the time nukes are available there wont be much jungle back needed to be cleared.
              Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

There's a "Nuke the river" strategy for score milkers. Makes high-food producing flood plains. Nothing for me, though.

Comment

THis would be a good idea for building cities in the jungle. Just nuke the desired location adnn then build your city
                  I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting use for nukes. No more smelly rainforests! Just drop an nuke and hey presto! Instead fertile glow-in-the-dark grasslands! Just think of the uses!

Comment

The title of this thread made me laugh.

Comment

It would be useful if nukes became available with mysticism. Otherwise it's just too late.
                        Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer
                          Hmmm, interesting use for nukes. No more smelly rainforests! Just drop an nuke and hey presto! Instead fertile glow-in-the-dark grasslands! Just think of the uses!
                          Firaxis will most certainly "fix" it somehow...
                          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Why's that? You still have to clean the pollution and if there was an enemy city there it would do the same thing.
                            "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                            "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                            "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

What about the ice land, hill, and mountain? If you nuke them, what do they turn into?

Comment

Working...
                              X