What "Realism Watchdogs" Should Really Be Worrying About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sinapus
    What about the 'realism' of ruling a nation for 6000 years? ;-)
    6000 years... i think only fidel has managed that long

now seriously: 6000 years only a god could rule. i wished civ3 scenarios could have customized turn-lengths (e.g. WWII scenario 1x per month... so after 200 turns it still would be "only" 16 years...
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf

now seriously: 6000 years only a god could rule. i wished civ3 scenarios could have customized turn-lengths (e.g. WWII scenario 1x per month... so after 200 turns it still would be "only" 16 years...
      hi ,

there are many people who would like to see that , ...

one thing they could do would be to let you as the player control the value of a turn , in months , weeks and years , ....to set a starting and end date , .....
      and to work of the number of turns you want , example you want yearly turns between 100 to 1500 ad , ....yeah its a lot , but just as an example , ....

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Q

generally i don't like the governemental system, democracy comes waaaaaay to early. middle of medieval times (i usually go for theology, education, printing press, democracy... and "buy" feudalism) the nearst to democracy was more a republic like system (like the ancient greeks had (polis)). "real" democracy should IMHO begin some time beginning of industialisation...
        Well, you've got ancient Greece as an example, but you're right, that's probably "Republic".

On the other hand, you've got American Democracy, which does predate industrialization.

On the gripping hand, where are you from again? My European history knowledge is pretty good (for a Yank), but I forget - isn't Switzerland the oldest (longest-standing) Democracy? Didn't y'all confederate back about the time the printing press came into being (or, you know, eight turns later)?

Comment

Re: Q

Originally posted by eldoktor
          On the other hand, you've got American Democracy, which does predate industrialization.
          ok, i guess you're right. about that.
          but if you actually take in account, that democracy means EVERYBODY can vote, it was developed sometime in the 20th century with equal rights for men and women, black and white, etc. ...

On the gripping hand, where are you from again? My European history knowledge is pretty good (for a Yank), but I forget - isn't Switzerland the oldest (longest-standing) Democracy? Didn't y'all confederate back about the time the printing press came into being (or, you know, eight turns later)?
          uhm, i guess you're referring to that story in 1291 (william tell, etc.)? well, the strange thing is, that a german author who never had visited switzerland wrote it. so i'm not too sure that's how it really was.
          what i'm sure of: it was no real democracy. more an declaration of independace by allying with the other province leaders. but i can't tell you much more, because most of my (little) knowledge is based on stories, i don't believe in

btw: switzerland has afaik the most democratic governement in the world. ministers (or secreteries of xxx as in the US) are proportional to the votes. every party is included (except ofcourse the too small ones). so there can't be a switching from left- to rightwing and the other way round politics just like that. every important issue of politics has to be voted for. that makes switzerland slow in reforming (women's right to vote only came in 1970!!!) but you can't say, people didn't want it

i'm impressed with your knowledge, well done
          Last edited by sabrewolf; June 24, 2002, 09:42.

Comment

Caesar was a man's name, but became a title. So when you call the leader Caesar, it may or may not be the same person. Caesar, Tzar, Shah, Kaiser.

Comment

btw: don't forget: who was technologically (not army based) ahead in the 80's? no, not the US, not USSR... it was japan... when was the biggest growth of happiness and wealth in the post-WWII-era? the 90's... and why? basically because there was no enemy to worry about.... q.e.d.
              Japan's strength was, and is, production, not innovation. The US has been the technological leader since at least the 1940s (the Soviets were employing tech in space before us, but the actual techno knowledge was similar - and the US led in other areas). Correct me if I'm wrong but transistors, computers, microchips, nuclear reactors/weapons, biotechnology, fiber optics, microprocessors... are mostly american innovations. The Japanese, and other Asian nations, are good at taking existing inventions and mass producing them very effiecently.

Back OT, as has been said by other posters, war doesn't necissarily equate to economic and research advancement. As someone said about Liberia, pre-indstrial societies will get devastated by war. War did result in economic boom for the US in/after WWII beacuse of the heavy government spending. And, obviously the pressure was on to push military research to the max. But both of these can be accomplished without war. If the political will exists, a fraction of the amount spent on armaments in WWII could be directed to civilian and military research and we could see unparalleld progress. But without an imminent threat the political will probably won't exist - for research or government spending on health/education.

In synopsis, the "benifits" of war can be had in peacetime, but the public usually prefers taxcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Carver
                [...] transistors, computers, microchips, nuclear reactors/weapons, biotechnology, fiber optics, microprocessors... are mostly american innovations. [...]
                well, computers are based on microprocessors and microchips (more or less the same thing) which consist of transistors. John Bardeen, Walter H. Brattain and William Shockley descovered the transistor at the bell-labs. so the physical components are an american invention. on the other hand, konrad zuse, a german, is the actual inventor of modern day computer. and the whole thoery of a calculating machine goes far back to pascal. his adding-machine was mechanical, but it is a computer (it computes numbers).

biotechnology is a research branch, so you can't call anyone an inventor.

as for fiber optics: http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa980407.htm a lot of people from a lot of countries influenced

Comment

biotechnology is a research branch, so you can't call anyone an inventor.
                  You can call it a "research branch" but it is a "branch" that has produced inventions, drugs. Also, processes of genetic manipulation have been invented within this "branch".

Comment

You can call it a "research branch" but it is a "branch" that has produced inventions, drugs. Also, processes of genetic manipulation have been invented within this "branch".
                    hi ,

true .

what about emerging technology , .....

what about computer innovations like ADSL , ....or T1 , ...

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                      what about emerging technology , .....
                      what about computer innovations like ADSL , ....or T1 , ...
                      ok, now that's going for down into detail

ADSL is a DSL-protocol (ADSL: asynchronuous digital subscriber line) and uses simple double-threaded copper wires... the same like graham bell used for the first telephones (ofcourse now in better quality and higher frequencies).

T1 is afaik just a name for high-speed (something around 2MBit/s? ) connections and can use some xDSL-technologes or other

Comment

sorry, english isn't my first language and i guess i used the wrong words...

what i meant: biotechnology wasn't "invented", but is a group of topics (maybe again a wrong word?) of research and each consists of a lot of descoveries, inventions, methods, theories, etc.

Comment

ok, now that's going for down into detail

ADSL is a DSL-protocol (ADSL: asynchronuous digital subscriber line) and uses simple double-threaded copper wires... the same like graham bell used for the first telephones (ofcourse now in better quality and higher frequencies).

T1 is afaik just a name for high-speed (something around 2MBit/s? ) connections and can use some xDSL-technologes or other
                          hi ,

ADSL was invented in europe , in bekgium , by two engineers , ...... so there might be hope for that country ,.......

now , things like that should or could be implemented in the game , the ADSL is just an example , ....

have a nice day

Comment

sorry, english isn't my first language and i guess i used the wrong words...

what i meant: biotechnology wasn't "invented", but is a group of topics (maybe again a wrong word?) of research and each consists of a lot of descoveries, inventions, methods, theories, etc.
                            Don't worry, I hear what you're saying.

Comment

Working...
                            X