No announcement yet.

#c207 A BOLD STEP FORWARD INTO THE PAST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Idea of a "Great Depression". Maybe it could be added in and work like a lost resourse, completely random by a dice roll. Of course the odds would need to be a 1 : 1000 or more. But don't just add commercial strife, create a dust bowl effect that acts like global warming.
    For all of you Historical Accuracy addicts out there, the game is CIVILIZATION, your own civilization. It isn't called History. It was never meant to be historically correct. It is suppost to be enjoyable, and it is just that nothing more.

Comment

The problem with this that I see is that, although there are no actual 'Hard Times' Turn account for more years in the early game to account for things like the Dark Ages.

And while many players complain about hitting the modern age in 1000 AD, I usually get my modern ages late, so I don't want to see changes that will set me back even farther.

The modern age is the most fun part of the game for me.

Maybe something they could do is have tech trates for each difficulty?

Or at least more playtesting on the flow of the game to make sure the era advances at least come within a somewhat reasonable arc.
      'Say, what are those Russians with the funny hats doing?'

Comment

I to like the modern age best. A depression type situation could be added, but could also be disabled for those who would rather play with out it. It could also be triggered like a negative golden age for you civ. Instead of bonuses you would loose a persentage of your cives commerce, production and food supply. Think of it as a time period with higher corruption say for 20 turns.

Comment

I tend to agree with TRK. Every time I dream of "improving" Civ, something from EU2 comes to mind. It could be random events or the domestic policy sliders that allow nations to change emphasis on a far more macro scale than choosing to build libraries before marketplaces. Whatever it is, I then wonder why I'm playing Civ and not EU2. The only remaining appeal Civ has for me is the ability to be God and dictate the placement of everything from scratch. If the EU programmers work out how to scale all the way back to Ur and beyond, even that will be redundant and I can sweep the various incarnations of Civ to the back of the cupboard with a sigh of relief.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

the random 'hard times' idea seems unfair, as the player would be penalized for doing nothing wrong

also the historical comentary would be hard to implement as the situations could involve 2 or more (real)Civs, that are also in the game, with the situations not happening in the game

ie. The America War of Indepence with England being brought up, but the two Civs in the game being allied

Comment

Working...
            X