An utility which can increase gaming speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An utility which can increase gaming speed

Howdy! I have downloaded this utility from a Chinese site and it can adjust your gaming speed. I tried it on my game and it worked. So I'd like to share it with you. Unfortunately it is in Chinese so the interface will not be shown properly. Nevertheless it worked on my English winME.

Just unzip the file and run the exe file under the subdirectory win9x (there is also one for winNT but it didn't work for my machine, possibly because that I'm not the root user). You'll see a small window with a slider on it. Move the slider to the right will make the game run faster, and to the left will make the game run slower. The hot keys are all on the numeric pad on your keyboard: '5'=slower, '*'=faster, '-'=normal speed.

After running the exe file, start your civ3 and hit '*' 2 to 3 times. You'll get a faster game. I liked it very much since the game was really slow without the utility.

WARNING: running the utility will sometimes make your microsoft messanger cease to work. I haven't tried ICQ but probably the same thing will happen. You need to close MS messenger (ICQ) then restart it after closing the utility, or nobody can contact you although you will not notice anything except that there will sometimes be a warning telling you that one of your programs (the server for your messenger) will close.

If you have any questions please post here and I'll try to answer them. Since this is not my program I'm not responsible for any damage it may cause. I only assure you that it had worked on my machine without any unrepairable damage.

It DOES NOT work under winXP.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Xin Yu; June 12, 2002, 23:16.

Uh, and how exactly did you find this and figure out that it sped up Civ3? This sounds more like a virus or dummy prog then anything else, especially the bits with it causing MSN Messenger to crash and such. I wouldn't quite trust this file, and don't know how its speeding up your comp. I'd also scan for trojans/virii.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

This program has been used by millions to cheat in real time strategy multiplayer games like starcraft. When using this you can speed up your production and easily beat your opponent. This program has also been used by millions to fastly go through those tedious dungeon levels (like in Diablo) which they have already cleared but have to to go through them again and again. This program has yet again been used by millions to beat the bosses in games like Dune who would be impossible to kill if they hadn't slowed down the game speed. So it is safe. The problem was mostly caused by that the OS is English while the program was written in Chinese.

Comment

Sounds like a nice candidate for disassembly, I guess it might be screwing something up. OK, I anyway use Windows XP.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: An utility which can increase gaming speed

Originally posted by Xin Yu

If you have any questions please post here and I'll try to answer them. Since this is not my program I'm not responsible for any damage it may cause. I only assure you that it had worked on my machine without any unrepairable damage.
          Bollocks. You posted the link and suggested people use it. If it breaks their machine I'd suggest they hold you responsible for it.
          Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

Re: Re: An utility which can increase gaming speed

Originally posted by redstar1
            Bollocks. You posted the link and suggested people use it. If it breaks their machine I'd suggest they hold you responsible for it.
            So if I post to a link to, say, www.microsoft.com and say that windows works for me I'm responsible every time windows crashes? No, I don't think so. (Neither is Microsoft, since they've (certainly) got a disclamier)

On a side note, by the sound of it, that software is not to be trusted.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: An utility which can increase gaming speed

darn /me
              I replyed instead of edited...

Comment

No offense to Xin Yu ... but man! You'd have to be braver than me to download a program you've never heard of, in a language you don't know, pressing a "*" that you don't know what it does, that crashes a well known program like messenger!
                Good = Love, Love = Good
                Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

I agree, DO NOT download this prog... It's probably a Chinese Commie trick!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How the hell it is supposed to speed up game anyway. I can see how it would work in real time games were you have always been able to speed up things like production. But Civ 3, you can speed up production and the turn time is caused by things like calculating trade roots. I dont see how it would work.
                    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

A fool and his (operating) computer are soon parted.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                        A fool and his (operating) computer are soon parted.
                        Or crashed.
                        |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
                        | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Running this program and opening an email attachment named freesexpic.jpg.vbs is probably the same. Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xin Yu
                            This program has been used by millions to cheat in real time strategy multiplayer games like starcraft. When using this you can speed up your production and easily beat your opponent. This program has also been used by millions to fastly go through those tedious dungeon levels (like in Diablo) which they have already cleared but have to to go through them again and again. This program has yet again been used by millions to beat the bosses in games like Dune who would be impossible to kill if they hadn't slowed down the game speed. So it is safe. The problem was mostly caused by that the OS is English while the program was written in Chinese.
                            And the program action is... ?

A CPU overclock?
                            Installing a Linux high efficient core over the bloated Microsoft?
                            Change game code and re-compiling/re-linking it to have faster routines?
                            Lighting up the old "Turbo" led on some desktop case?

(Just kidding).

Really it sound a bit strange to me, to find a "silver bullet" accelerator program that improve any system.
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Really it sound a bit strange to me, to find a "silver bullet" accelerator program that improve any system.
                              As P.T. Barnum so wisely expressed it, "If something sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

Comment

Working...
                              X