new navy idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regards to changing game concepts like:
    The biggest mistake was making the combat system so simple.... Attack and Defense... that's it... what a crock!
    If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Theyve already got a good thing going, I can only imagine the b|tching going on if they wouldve tried something new...

Comment

Civilization games have never had a steep learning curve. Indeed, the simplicity in design and variability of strategies are probably the pillars of the entire series. It would seem that Civ3 follows in this tradition whether you like it or not... My opinion, however, is that additional rules, exceptions, and additions would have greatly multiplied the loopholes and bugs and would have lowered the economic viability and broad-based interest of the game that made its predecessors so successful.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

only ships that are tipping to the side tend to slow down, a battleship, or anyother ship in civ "are designed to work when things arn't 'hunky dorey'". A ship could lose the hole of its deck and work just as well (captain might have to move a little, and the radar won't work, nor its radio probubly) when it comes to moving!
        Help negate the vegiterian movement!
        For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

I absolutely agree. Civilization is a great game in that it is easy to pick-up while still maintaining a great deal of depth. Sid Meier's has been often quoted saying that when designing games fun and gameplay always trump realism. As such, I think the combat rules (attack vs. defense) are more than adequate.
          When it comes to navies I think Firaxis had the right idea. They can transport troops, bombard targets, and blockade. In fact, I think the rules governing the first two make perfect sense. However, blockade (and please correct me if you think I'm wrong) is totally impractical. On average it will take three ships to block every port an enmeny CIV has. That's a huge investment that is all for not if they can destroy even one ship. Does anyone actually create blockades?
          Imagine this. Your civ is progressing nicely. You control your borders, your cities are well garrisoned, tech is coming along every 4 or 5 turns, and due to trading techs for luxuries your people are happy. Then out of nowhere, half of your cities go into civil disorder. You quickly create entertainers in your cities, but are not quite observant enough to figure out what caused the disturbance.
          Next turn, the civil disobedience ends, but starvation occurs in several coastal cities and many others are burning through their granaries. Upon checking the city screen again, you notice that you can't work the water squares. You've been blockaded.
          You have ignored your navy but still have a couple of caraval's you built centuries earlier. You sail one out of port and sure enough find an enemy sub.
          What are your options? You can try to build you navy up to break it, but you better have either iron or oil on your continent. If not, well, you're sunk (pun intended).
          Now imagine that this was a multiplayer game, and instead of being blockaded, you were the blockader. Further, imagine the rage of your hapless friend/brother-in-law/co-worker and the joy of talking trash to him afterwards.

Comment

Re: new navy idea

Originally posted by johncmcleod
            I have a new idea, though I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. I think damaged naval units should lose movement points. When a ship is damaged, it moves slower. It's kind of dumb when a ship has one hit point left, meaning it's almost destroyed, and it moves as fast as a non-damaged ship. What do you guys think?
            hi ,

you should make a poll out of it , ....
            but most people would agree
            also , there should be a "port" , to fix and build ship's , and your allies should ba able to fix the ship's for you , ...

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
            X