This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship Fortification

do ships get any bonus for being fortified in the water?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Not sure whether they get a defensive bonus, but they *do* get an increased vision range, at least for modern ships. I havn't tested it out on wooden ships yet.

Comment

Re: Ship Fortification

Originally posted by UberKruX
      do ships get any bonus for being fortified in the water?
      no...
      - What's that?
      - It's a cannon fuse.
      - What's it for?
      - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Re: Re: Ship Fortification

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

no...
        well there ya have it.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Ah yes, a man of many words. Obviously you never made valedictorian at your graduation, Soren.

Comment

Some people have the talent of saying many words with nothing valuable there, though.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Some people have the talent of saying many words with nothing valuable there, though.
              For any Americans watching and Ms Morrissette, this is ironic.

Graeme

Comment

I think if ships were fortified, they should actually get less of a bonus. I mean, fortified would mean staying in one spot, or anchored. And anyone with any knowledge of naval tactics knows that an anchored ship is a dead ship.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I would think that a fortified ship is simply taking a defensive posture, not anchoring itself. The ships is wandering around in that tile and looking for bad guys. It's on patrol in it's little tile of ocean.

Comment

I like that ships cant get a fortification benefit. There's not alot of ways to "dig in" in water

I would like to see fortified ships with bombard abilities in cities, be treated like arty units and if the city is attacked, they get to lend their bombard shot to the city's defense. I havent had it happen in 1.21, but in 1.17, i took alot of cities that were full of ships and those ships never contributed to defense.

Comment

I don't agree with ships contributing to city defenses. Usually if a ship is in port, it is virtually unmanned. There may be a couple people on board to chase off robbers or sabateours, but there's not enough people on there to man the guns and fight an assault coming from the land.

As for fortifying ships at sea. I don't think they should get a bonus either, Sava seemed to imply that they should get a penalty.

Comment

if I'm at war with a civ and they have an army around the city i'm in port in, my crews better be close to their guns

Comment

there's no such thing as a defensive posture in naval warfare....
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sure there is. Doesn't work very well though. Just ask the Italians.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

yeah... all I got to say is "Pearl Harbor"!
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X