Stone age time per turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panag
    why not , ...... , imagine where we as humans could have been , if we did not spend all the time fighting , ....
    You're right!

Hurry, to the guns my friends! We have techs to discover!

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

You're right!

Hurry, to the guns my friends! We have techs to discover!
      hi ,

hardhead , ......

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Williams
        The whole point of Civ is to REWRITE history. If, playing with the same types of problems and forces as in real life, you launch a spaceship in BC then that's a real achivement. You've rewritting history.
        Even if all humanity were to be united right from the beginning, and working collectively towards building the perfect, rapidly advancing society, a spaceship in BC would still be impossible without extra-terrestrial intervention.
        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal

Even if all humanity were to be united right from the beginning, and working collectively towards building the perfect, rapidly advancing society, a spaceship in BC would still be impossible without extra-terrestrial intervention.
          A united humanity may very well be a stagnant culture.

Comment

Indeed a united humanity might be stagnant. I mean, there's nobody to surpass, so people will get lazy.

But as I was saying, space ships in BC are still impossible. Impossible because uniting all of humanity won't lead to it (since we'd all get culturally stagnant), and impossible because a divided humanity continually squabbles, and wastes resources fighting dirty little wars.

And even if the proposed united humanity were to be a perfect culture, it would still be impossible.

Whatever possibility is there, launching a spaceship in BC is always going to be impossible. Now I'm all for recreating history here, but only if it is kept within reason.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

A united humanity may very well be a stagnant culture.
              hi ,

not allways , ...

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

not allways , ...

have a nice day
                Why not always? The way I see it, since there is no other culture to surpass, a united humanity might grow lazy. I mean, if there's nobody else out there to impress, why bother?

Comment

It's obvious that Firaxis didn't want to attempt to fix the unrealistic time passage. Gameplay > Realism, but Sticking With What Works > Programming New Time Model... programmers are the laziest people ...

It would be possible to have a more realistic flow of time, but that would require rewriting so much of the game that Civ 3 would still be in development.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal

Why not always? The way I see it, since there is no other culture to surpass, a united humanity might grow lazy. I mean, if there's nobody else out there to impress, why bother?
                    hi ,

and that is the problem , ....we should do it for ourself's , not to impress an other nation , from planet earth , or from alpha centauri , .....

have a nice day

Comment

Re: Stone age time per turn

Originally posted by Ben Williams
                      And don't forget settlers, say you build one and send it three squares away to found a city, there is no way they could still be alive when they got there. And when a worker builds a road on a mountain it's a job that would take hundreds of years. Thoughts?
                      -ben
                      yep, on the other hand a city grows from 1 to 2 in 5 turns if it has cows or wheat near it. i modern times that would mean 5 years to double the population.... now i know some people like f-ing a lot, but this is ridiculous i can only explain it with immigration.

generally it would be great to be able to change the years that pass. e.g. for a WWII-scenario (can't wait for that new patch ) 1 turn - 1 year? i can't even build a new tank in 6 turns, how should i build an army strong enough to win the way... 1 turn-1 month would be better...
                      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I have said it before, and now I will say it again:

It isn't that it takes so long to do something. Instead, it takes so long to make the decisions to do a particular thing, get the people organized and preparations made, THEN getting it done. Actually doing it may take a year or less.

If you want to play the tactical aspects with week-long turns, go play an operational/tactical game, not Civ3.

Comment

Working...
                        X