Simple Unit Building Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Unit Building Idea

Someone may have thought of this before, but here is a radical idea...

How about, except for settlers and workers, cities:

1. Must have a barracks to build ground units
    2. Must have a harbor to build naval units
    3. Must have an airport to build air units

A possible exception might be basic defender units, like spearmen, which might be able to be built by any city.

I think this might be very interesting. Even if 1 is too extreme, 2 and 3 make a lot of sense. Just an idea.

Any thoughts?
    Good = Love, Love = Good
    Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Re: Simple Unit Building Idea

Originally posted by nato
    I think this might be very interesting. Even if 1 is too extreme, 2 and 3 make a lot of sense.
    Same remark, but interesting idea, especially for 2 and 3.
    Nym
    "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Especially for 3 I agree... The Airport is almost useless as it is now and so you could add some sense...
      I don't know if the Editor allows itto be done like that... for buildings however it is possible to have a building as requirement so why not for Units too...

Comment

Good idea. But what units would they build? Veterans? Hardly, because this would narrow down the unit experience line. Regulars? This would give militaristic civs still a greater advantage in leader generation - cheap barracks and twice the sooner unit promotion.

Comment

Especially for 3 I agree...
          I don't understand the reasoning behind 3, why would you need an airport to build aircraft? Surely they are just build in factories.

Also I think that what would be better than 2 is a new city improvement, docks. This would require the city to be next to a river before ships could be built. Or something. Haven't really thought about it too much.

Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by graeme
            I don't understand the reasoning behind 3, why would you need an airport to build aircraft? Surely they are just build in factories.
            I'm certain that aircraft are built in factories. But you still need a place set aside where they can take off and land safely, and maintain communications with ground control.

Anyway, I don't agree with Idea 1, about ground units requiring barracks.

As for idea 2, requiring a harbour, I don't agree with either. However, you should need a harbour in the city to carry out repairs on the ship (since the tech for harbour and tech for first naval unit are the same, it seems reasonable).

But idea 3, I definitely agree. Churning your jet fighters out of their factories is one thing, but having a hangar for them to stay in, and a runway for them to be able to take off and land safely is another.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm certain that aircraft are built in factories. But you still need a place set aside where they can take off and land safely, and maintain communications with ground control.
              Thats a good point, but this relates to the control and utilisation of the aircraft rather than their manufacture.

Graeme

Comment

As for the factory vs. airport discussion:

The aircraft works in Dresden, Germany were located right next to the airport. You certainly must have both. Or you will have to transport the detais via roads and must assemble them in the airfield, at least for the bigger planes, not talking about small fighters.

Comment

Re: Simple Unit Building Idea

Originally posted by nato
                  Someone may have thought of this before, but here is a radical idea...

How about, except for settlers and workers, cities:

1. Must have a barracks to build ground units
                  2. Must have a harbor to build naval units
                  3. Must have an airport to build air units

A possible exception might be basic defender units, like spearmen, which might be able to be built by any city.

I think this might be very interesting. Even if 1 is too extreme, 2 and 3 make a lot of sense. Just an idea.

Any thoughts?
                  hi ,

okay , BUT ; harbor for fishing , PORT for naval units , .....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Makes sense... but when does Firaxis listen to Apolytoners who have ideas that make sense?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A barracks required seems a little extreme, and it isn't required in real life for an entity to produce a unit. Habors might be a little too much also.

The airport idea would be really nice though. I rarely build them in Civ games, and if I do it is one per continent.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Alas, I'm against the idea, it's a bit too radical for me. The barracks one is completely radical, but the others seem pretty much so for me, too.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I like the airport idea. The other two make the game too difficult. Maybe require a harbor for sail age on, but not galleys or caravels.

Maybe something like this for airplanes...

Either an airport or an airfield within its city radius will allow construction of airplanes. I mean, the plane is built in a factory, but what are you going to do with it when it's done if there's no airfield? Take off from Main Street?

Comment

Are veteran air units worth the cost of an airport?

One good thing about airports is that they can receive as many units airlifted as you have other airports.

The port in civ 2 was one of the most pointless buildings in the game.
                            The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

how about missions except for rebasing being disabled for a plane unless it is in a city with an airport. This would add a new level of strategy.

Comment

Working...
                              X