What's good about Civ3 then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's good about Civ3 then?

I loved Civ2 and I currently play CTP2 which I think is brilliant and I'm considering getting Civ3 but so far all I've heard is that it's a bit crap. So what's good about it and why should I get it?
    Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

Hmmmm, personnally I like CTP2 more then Civ3 but I just might change my mind after the expansion pack is released. I can think of a half dozen things I think are better done in CTP2 then in Civ3, however, there are a few things I like about Civ3 that CTP2 just doesn't offer.
    1) Strategic Resources.
    2) Improved AI negotiations.
    3) Better graphics.

That said CTP2 has a scripting language and Civ3 doesn't so CTP2 is ALWAYS improving while I don't we'll be able to say the same thing about Civ3 a year from now.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thanks. Is there a topic or review anywhere that compares the two?

Comment

Not really. The best way to get a feel for the two games, that I think of, would be to read both the Civ3 and CTP2 forums here at Apolyton. That way you will be able to hear how the fans of each game stack things up.

In the end I'd say they ae both good games but CTP2 is slightly better. It's possible that PtW will change this though.

Comment

I've been having a look round the forums and been reading reviews etc and it looks quite good so I'll probably end up buying it.

What's this PTW thing?

Comment

Civ3: Play the World is the up coming expansion pack for Civ3. No body really knows what will or won't be included in it but I'm hoping they will include many of the CTP2 style improvements that were left out of Civ3.

Comment

it'll have MP and a decent scenario editor, both of which were promised to be in the original game, and thats what matters.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Wait for PTW to come out... you might get a deal on Civ3 and PTW together, which is a lot better than getting them seperately. If you do get Civ3, remember to make downloading the Patches your #1 task (although PTW may come with 1.21).
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

If you buy PTW you shouldn't need Civ3 ...unless Firaxis intends to continue their policy of corporate thievery by requiring people to have Civ3 to be able to play PTW.

Comment

ptw is an expansion pack. there is a 98.743% chance of ptw requiring the original civ3
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: What's good about Civ3 then?

Originally posted by Turambar
                      I loved Civ2 and I currently play CTP2 which I think is brilliant and I'm considering getting Civ3 but so far all I've heard is that it's a bit crap. So what's good about it and why should I get it?
                      I LOVED Civ 2, but I would NOT get Civ 3. I'm sorry I did. Maybe in several more months when EVERYTHING is in one package (including scenario-building and cheat mode) and selling for $35 or less you might consider it.

I wish I waited a year instead of getting their beta game last November for fifty bucks.

But I consider concepts such as Culture Flipping and Settler Diarrhea to be so flawed, and naval warfare and espionage so pathetic, the game is perhaps unable to be saved if they remain.

Try Europa Universalis if you want a more challenging, less dumbed down game.

Just my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                        If you buy PTW you shouldn't need Civ3 ...unless Firaxis intends to continue their policy of corporate thievery by requiring people to have Civ3 to be able to play PTW.
                        "Corporate thievery".

Indeed. I think I'll borrow that one!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                          erm...I'm confused. What makes you think that you can play an expansion pack without having the original game?
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                          Odysseus and the March of Time
                          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

What makes you think that you can play an expansion pack without having the original game?
                            nothing, he probably wanted to use the words "corporate", "thievery" and "firaxis" somehow
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

zulu, jt is trolling.

I would say: buy the game. It has, after all, some improvements when compared to civ2 and also CTP2. One of the things you will notice immediately is the improved AI. Much better than CTP2's AI, even if you take into account the wonderful work the modders managed to do with CTP2.

But you could wait for PTW. Civ3 will probably be a better bargain by the time the expansion pack is released.
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X