Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the stat nerds case

Just posted this on Firaxis' comments page:

First of all, great game. I'm 33 years old male, played all 3 generations, doesn't play much else (DO have a life to tend to).

Just a few blunt suggestions to upcoming patches/updates:

1. Realize that the average Civ fan is of the anal type, who loves stats and remember batting averages years back. What happened to the very detailed Civ-score sheet from the original Civ and Col games? I bet I'm not the only one who would LOVE to be able to see the complete equation for my Civ-score.

2. And what's with the new Histogram page? Why do I only have access to 3 kinds of comparisons, why does the values in the right hand column not change accordingly and why have you chosen only one kind of graph that while good in some respects, makes it quite hard to follow the progress of most conflicts (those involving nations that aren't neighbors in the graph).
    It's not a big thing to ask for. From the Demographics page I know that the values are there to extract. Doesn't need to be fancy, just a incremental .csv-file export switch on the .exe-file would do the trick. We - the stat nerds - will make the rest ourselves.

3. It would be soooo great, if the Hall of Fame was reconstructed so that one could open the individual entries and reach that history reel being played at the end of each game as well as the aforementioned detailed Civ-score algorithm. Imagine how it would further raise the replayability value, being able to study the differences in progress among different entries, without having to reload the last savegame, retire and mess up your Hall of Fame with duplicate entries.

Kindly

Markus

Any comments?
    It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

I agree, particularly on the the histogram and the not "changing accordingly values".
    Nym
    "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Very much agreeing to this.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I agree, except compared to many others, we aren't really that anal.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Great suggestions. A return of the old battle casualties report from CivII would be nice too.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You missed one:

button: append stat data as csv type to file.

I shouldn't have to play this game with pieces of paper recording stats I need to play better.

Agree with previous, don't know if this makes us anal, but paying attention to stats does help us become better players as we can document what works and what does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Great suggestions. A return of the old battle casualties report from CivII would be nice too.

-Arrian
              Thanks for reminding me.

I think I'll add that to the list of Things I Hate About Civ 3.

Lack of a "battle casualties report" will be number ninety-two!

Comment

it's freaky when you start writing down your hate....
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                  it's freaky when you start writing down your hate....
                  Geez, a Mod spamming a poster. I spammed him for a while but it doesn't do any good.

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

that wasnt spam
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

YEAH!

My head is stuck so far up my own arse, I can see daylight

Stats Rule OK!
                      Big Up to the Anal Retentive Crew!
                      The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer
                        YEAH!

My head is stuck so far up my own arse, I can see daylight

Stats Rule OK!
                        Big Up to the Anal Retentive Crew!

Amen.

Demographics and stats rule. And I hate numbers.
                        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Yes, stats and records of 'heroic' deeds are good. It would also be good if CIV 111 would adopt a better scoring system, not based so heavily on land and population. One that considers cultural and scientific achievments.
                          "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                          --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Woah! Hold up there, they haven't finished Civ 110 yet!
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I ignore my score. I just like to play and win with my spaceship.

Comment

Working...
                              X