Terrain generator is idiotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrain generator is idiotic

Ok, this really annoys me. I realize that Civ3 was never intended to be extremely realistic, but it seems to me that when one selects "Arid" and "Cold" for the terrain option, vast areas of jungle are probably not going to make a lot of sense. Yet that's just what I get, every single time- vast jungles. Is there any climate setting that Civ3 interprets to mean that it should *not* generate jungles, or is that just a hopeless case?
    KoH
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquistive idiots."

I'd rather have jungles than tundra. Jungles can be made useful, tundra you can only make into forests.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yes, but early game, jungle is incredibly annoying as it erases whatever population growth you're able to make with disease. Plus, preferences nonwithstanding, I would think that the reason that the option to change the climate existed so that players would have the option of what they wanted. If so, the terrain generator has completely defeated that purpose by constantly generating huge jungle blocks.
      KoH

Comment

Islands

I just wish the RMG had a setting for the number of landmasses. I would like to have more islands, even on continental type maps.
        "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

Do you have the planet age set at 3 billion years? I find that you can get a lot of jungles at this time due to the large number of mountain chains which trap the precipitation on one side of the chain.

As a person with a background in geography, I find the terrain generator to be the most improved aspect of the game. Ecosystems are where they are supposed to be, and the effect of mountains accurately effect the surrounding landscape. Even the multi-tile water spaces are an improvement, as they hinder computer triremes/galleys from wandering everywhere.
          "'It's the last great adventure left to mankind'
          Screams a drooping lady,
          offering her dreamdolls at less than extortionate prices."
          -"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)

Comment

4 billion, actually, but that's a good thought. I'll set it to 5 billion and see if there's any improvement.
            KoH

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper of Hell
              Yes, but early game, jungle is incredibly annoying as it erases whatever population growth you're able to make with disease. Plus, preferences nonwithstanding. . .
              Which doesn't prevent the dopey AI from pewking out with its Settler Diarrhea towns right in the middle of those jungles. Crazy.

Comment

I don't see much problem at all with the terrain generator. The only idiotic thing about random maps is the civ placement. I'm not all for isolation, but being 6 squares or less away from the closest neighbour is just plain idiotic. As far as I'm concerned, the terrain aspects of map generation is top-notch.
                "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
                  I don't see much problem at all with the terrain generator. The only idiotic thing about random maps is the civ placement. I'm not all for isolation, but being 6 squares or less away from the closest neighbour is just plain idiotic. As far as I'm concerned, the terrain aspects of map generation is top-notch.
                  You can alter the civ spacing in the editor, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper of Hell
                    Yes, but early game, jungle is incredibly annoying as it erases whatever population growth you're able to make with disease. Plus, preferences nonwithstanding, I would think that the reason that the option to change the climate existed so that players would have the option of what they wanted. If so, the terrain generator has completely defeated that purpose by constantly generating huge jungle blocks.
                    I have never been hit with disease for jungle settlement, but it has appeared in floodplain cities--enough to make me now avoid building in a floodplain. Maybe the reason for the my lack of disease in jungles is that I put a high priority on clearing.

In your experience, does disease risk increase over time, as a city ages, or is it completely random?

Comment

The jungle disease seems to strike the hardest about 10-20 turns after you first build the city, reducing the city's population to one usually. Afterwards, it seems to hit fairly randomly and only for a single population point each time. Note that this is just based on casual observation, and I've in no way run an experiment about jungle disease.
                      KoH

Comment

Dont be afraid to build on flood plains. Its wroth losing some pop for the gold and pop u will have later on.
                        I dont cheat just bend the rules

Comment

Originally posted by TheEvilCheater
                          Dont be afraid to build on flood plains. Its wroth losing some pop for the gold and pop u will have later on.
                          Maybe I will stop avoiding them. It's really nice not to have to build an aqueduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple

Maybe I will stop avoiding them. It's really nice not to have to build an aqueduct.
                            It's excellent, especially early on when you need a city to build a wonder and don't have time to stop and let it build one. Usually, however, I have no shortage of lakes and rivers, so I don't have to go looking for flood plains for that feature.
                            KoH

Comment

The terrain generator was marvelously done, and Firaxis deserves credit for it's great ability.
                              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                              X