such tedium - it drives me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Markos vs. Jim .

Uhmm, 75 archers in 2000? Upgrade all to Longbowmen and put them in front of the attack force, as small annoyances.

Workers? Automate if way too many, and have some join the cities.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

/me thinks jimmy saw "John Q" lately

"I wont bury my son! My son will bury me!"

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Upgradable Units

It may be tedius to use the editor to correct the problem but you can make all units upgradable to whatever you would like. All combat foot units should be upgradable to riflemen while cavalry should be upgradable to either infantry or tanks. From a historical perspective, both are what were formed as horses were phased out of the army.

(I would personally like to see a light motorized cavalry unit added but I'm not sure when they historically added to the army.)
        "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

/me thinks Markos listened to SAGAPO too much lately
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            * MarkG thinks jimmy saw "John Q" lately

"I wont bury my son! My son will bury me!"

Yawn. Still trying to pave over the site I see.
            "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

yeah, i'm still allowed to express my opinion around here jackshot....
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

wow
                imagine me starting a thread that is so exciting!
                i should post more, but i find you guys all start threads about everything i need to know!

thanks to whoever suggested to make everything upgradeable to another unit, their advice has been invaluable.
                since civ 3 has the ability to "upgrade all units" I can now successfully achieve my goals of a modern army and getting rid of my old one.

as to the controversy of the 200 workers, yes i do have that many. but to the person who said maybe i should capture the workers: i only do this once the ENTIRE CONTINENT IS MINE!!! there's no point in having that many when you're fighting a war. so i eliminate my enemies first!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                  i think the tedium comes from those 200 workers that you built sollution: dont built them!
                  Actual I want to improve my whole empire in a few turns and not the entire game. It is just boring to move 200 units each turn. I found another sollution but I am afraid that this one has nothing to do with Civ3...

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Here are some points I want to complain about:

1. When playing the Romans the Advisor wants to build Pikemen!
                    Leginoarys have the same cost, resource requirements
                    and are much better!

2. Still playing the Romans: The Advisor, who seemed to have
                    remembered that I changed things to Leginary in the past
                    still wants to build the Leginarys in the Modern Ages, where
                    Mech. Inf. and Modern Armor were available! I can only
                    forbid a whole unit type like "Offensive Ground" but not a
                    certain unit!

3. Workers: When on Auto-Mode and everything is done they go
                    back to cities and wait for something to do, pollution for
                    example. I would like that feature if it would not check the "is
                    there something to do" for EVERY SINGLE Worker... When the
                    check is done for one worker in a city with other workers in it
                    and returns false, why arent all workers set on false? This
                    takes nearly as much time as it did when the workers had
                    something to do!

4. The Game still has a chance to crash when the first action in
                    my turn is pressing F1! That's been so in the release Version
                    and I really thought it was fixed in the meanwhile until it
                    occured again today after 2 hours of playing and not saving...
                    well at least I was about to lose.

I don't think these things are increadibly hard to fix in the next patch!

Comment

Originally posted by AIL
                      Here are some points I want to complain about:

1. When playing the Romans the Advisor wants to build Pikemen!
                      Leginoarys have the same cost, resource requirements
                      and are much better!
                      Legions have no upgrade line. Thus, they are actually more costly in the long run.

2. Still playing the Romans: The Advisor, who seemed to have
                      remembered that I changed things to Leginary in the past
                      still wants to build the Leginarys in the Modern Ages, where
                      Mech. Inf. and Modern Armor were available! I can only
                      forbid a whole unit type like "Offensive Ground" but not a
                      certain unit!
                      True, the modern advisors need to stop recommending longbowmen!

3. Workers: When on Auto-Mode and everything is done they go
                      back to cities and wait for something to do, pollution for
                      example. I would like that feature if it would not check the "is
                      there something to do" for EVERY SINGLE Worker... When the
                      check is done for one worker in a city with other workers in it
                      and returns false, why arent all workers set on false? This
                      takes nearly as much time as it did when the workers had
                      something to do!
                      That's a programming question. It makes sense, but I don't know the actual viability of that in the code.

4. The Game still has a chance to crash when the first action in
                      my turn is pressing F1! That's been so in the release Version
                      and I really thought it was fixed in the meanwhile until it
                      occured again today after 2 hours of playing and not saving...
                      well at least I was about to lose.
                      My version has never crashed. Sorry...
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

> Legions have no upgrade line. Thus, they are actually more
                        > costly in the long run.
                        Well did not think of that when I had the problem...

> That's a programming question. It makes sense, but I don't
                        > know the actual viability of that in the code.
                        Well I am learning Software Developer and I programmed small strategy games with AI myself and so I can guess that it can not be too difficult to realize my suggestion of only checking it for one worker per field if there was nothing to do... There must be variables containing the position (x and y-value) of an unit and there must be a something that tells the worker to skip its turn. So if the Worker will skip its turn you can store the coordinates and if the next worker is standing at the same tile he had not to do that timeintensive checking if there's something to do on any field within your borders!

> My version has never crashed. Sorry...
                        Well it was the first time for me since a very long time... but it was exactly the same reason that it had before... Can't really imagine what it could be since the same thing (pressing F1 at the start of a turn) worked many times without problems too...

Comment

Working...
                        X