The feature I want (and you will too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The feature I want (and you will too)

...at least I think you'll agree, is the ability to see each cities "X" of squares that it is using (or will be using when it gets enough culture) HIGHLIGHTED or outlined in white when the grid is visible on the map -just like it appears when you zoom into the city. I would also like to be able to see other civ's city X's too so I know where to place mine in relation to theirs.

Is this feature is already there and I just don't know about it?

Agreed. Especially when founding new cities (settlers), such a grid would be much more useful than the current one in my opinion.

Comment

I wouldn't want it, but as an optional feature it would be nice...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I wouldn't want it and if it was available as an option, it would be permanently turned off. To place cities optimally, I enable the grid, that's enough. The "fat X" shape is easy to remember anyway, and if there would be enabled several city radiuses at once (and they could have multiple overlaps!), it probably would look as horrible as it did in Civ2.

Comment

Dwarf Lord,

I dunno if you followed Sir Ralph's reference, but if you have the grid turned on (ctrl-g), you can see the working radius of a city around your settlers. It's invaluable.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Now THAT's what I was looking for! Thanks, and yet another reason to tell my boss I'm starting to feel ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
              Dwarf Lord,

I dunno if you followed Sir Ralph's reference, but if you have the grid turned on (ctrl-g), you can see the working radius of a city around your settlers. It's invaluable.
              Er... I'm pretty sure I can see the working radius around my settlers even with the grid turned off. But I'm not sure, will have to get home to confirm this.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I think you can without grid, but I was talking about planning a city's location without having sent a settler yet. I just enable grid and make some tile counting, or (even better) follow a predefined pattern.

Comment

yes, civ2 had it when you turned on the GRID. i always used it.

it's not that hard to count out the tiles (two out, one over) but it would be better if i could see them
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Im so used to the 'X' pattern I can see it on terrain just as naturally as taking a drink of water... *cough*

Comment

I also agree. Civ 2 handled this better.

Such a feature should also help in preventing any Culture Flipping crap with borders: they should never flip inside a city's productiion zone on improved tiles. NEVER.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Firaxis to do this.

Comment

gee, Like it is hard to count, 1, 1, 2....
                        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Working...
                        X