Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat

Rome just declared war on me. I have infantry and they have riflemen. My infantry should be kicking their riflemens ass's but for some reason their kicking mine, even their pikemen beat my infantry what the hell is up with that?

Let's see... it could have something to do with their ADM values. Come back when you have a real complaint... or just dredge up another of the 100 similar topics.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

/me awaits the "whats ADM mean?" response.

(attack-defense-movement if you're really that slow)
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

You are attacking? It's even odds Inf attacking Rifle with no defence bonuses. Add Fortified, Rough Terrain, Large City (7plus) or Walls and you are at a disadvantage in a hurry.

How many scraps have you lost to Pike?

What does 'butt kicked' consist of? Losing 1of5, 1of2, 3of5, 9of10?

[Edit] Easy guys. I'm sure we were all new to something at sometime. [/Edit]
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

"butt kicked" is often a measure of how many times one has reloaded the game due to "unfavorable" combat results.
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
            "butt kicked" is often a measure of how many times one has reloaded the game due to "unfavorable" combat results.
            reloading is for panzies. it's cheating IMHO. take what you get, even if you lose 3 settlers to barbarians.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: Combat

Originally posted by delsolsi
              Rome just declared war on me. I have infantry and they have riflemen. My infantry should be kicking their riflemens ass's but for some reason their kicking mine, even their pikemen beat my infantry what the hell is up with that?
              hi ,

can you post a SAV(e) so we can all see , .............

have a nice day / morning
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                Let's see... it could have something to do with their ADM values. Come back when you have a real complaint... or just dredge up another of the 100 similar topics.
                If you go by ADM values I should be winning.
                Infantry.....................Riffleman
                Attack: 6...................Attack: 4
                Defense: 10................Defense: 6
                Movement: 1..............Movement: 1

Originally posted by notyoueither
                You are attacking? It's even odds Inf attacking Rifle with no defence bonuses. Add Fortified, Rough Terrain, Large City (7plus) or Walls and you are at a disadvantage in a hurry.
                Their attacking me and all my cities are metropolis so I should be getting a 100% defense bonus.

What does 'butt kicked' consist of? Losing 1of5, 1of2, 3of5, 9of10?
                I'd say I'm loosing about 3 out of 4, I didn't count as I was playing but its pretty close to this.

[Edit] Easy guys. I'm sure we were all new to something at sometime. [/Edit]
                Thanks for sticking up for me. I'm new to this game and to these forums. I seem to have struck a nerve with cyclotron7 and UberKruX, I don't know what their problem is.

To me my infantry would logically beat the riffleman the majority of the time. My guys have higher attack and higher defense. I'm not saying I should win everytime but I think 2 out of 3 should be about right, not the 1 out of 4 I'm currently getting.

To cyclotron7 and UberKruX rather than flamming could you please explain why this happens or point me in the direction to find out for myself.

Comment

Are the Romans Vetern (4 health pips)? Are your Infantry Regular (3 pips)? Or the other way around. 3 out of 4 Rifle attacking Infantry fortified in a metropolis is definitely out of whack.

How many cities have you lost?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Are the Romans Vetern (4 health pips)? Are your Infantry Regular (3 pips)? Or the other way around. 3 out of 4 Rifle attacking Infantry fortified in a metropolis is definitely out of whack.

How many cities have you lost?
                    Probably about half and half on both sides.

Comment

Just wait 'till the Romans send in the Spearmen!
                      Up the Irons!
                      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                      Odysseus and the March of Time
                      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

To cyclotron7 and UberKruX rather than flamming could you please explain why this happens or point me in the direction to find out for myself.
                        You have to understand that some people feel that you are not allowed to criticize the goofy, non-historical values (or anything else) about this flawed Civ 3. Disregard them.

I Edited battleships to 25.20.6, with ironclads at 8.8.5. But I have seen an attacking BB get knocked down to just one hit point by an ironclad; I've seen an attacking ironclad sink a BB. Very weird results.

I edited up post-gunpowder units. Riflemen: 8.10.1. Infanty: 10.13.1.

If riflemen are attacking fortified infantry (Firaxis' strength values) in a metropolis they would have to come in WAVES to defeat you, even with this quirky system. Can you keep track of the number of riflemen lost before another rifleman unit defeats you? I assume they don't use artillery - the only way riflemen have a viable chance at being used offensively with effect. An infantry unit in such a position should kill 2-3 riflemen easily before being taken out on average. Unless the AI is cheating again, as often happens.

Comment

So, they are attacking you.

You win half the time, and lose half the time. You have counted? How many cities have you lost?

Are your Infantry fortified? Perhaps it's a stupid question, but I've gotta ask it.

How big are your cities? The ones being attacked. Size 7 is not 100% defence bonus.

Now's the killer. Can you post a save?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

You have to understand that some people feel that you are not allowed to criticize the goofy, non-historical values (or anything else) about this flawed Civ 3. Disregard them.

I Edited battleships to 25.20.6, with ironclads at 8.8.5. But I have seen an attacking BB get knocked down to just one hit point by an ironclad; I've seen an attacking ironclad sink a BB. Very weird results.

I edited up post-gunpowder units. Riflemen: 8.10.1. Infanty: 10.13.1.

If riflemen are attacking fortified infantry (Firaxis' strength values) in a metropolis they would have to come in WAVES to defeat you, even with this quirky system. Can you keep track of the number of riflemen lost before another rifleman unit defeats you? I assume they don't use artillery - the only way riflemen have a viable chance at being used offensively with effect. An infantry unit in such a position should kill 2-3 riflemen easily before being taken out on average. Unless the AI is cheating again, as often happens.
                            hi ,

sure that you have 1.21 , ........ , or did you played to much with the editor , .........

please post a SAV(e) , .....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Re: Combat

Are you counterattacking with infantry out of your cities? You should have no problem defending, but should avoid leaving the city unless part of a coordinated counterattack. Do you have artillery? A few well-placed artillery will quickly turn this situation around.

If you want to counterattack, use artillery to weaken the defenders, then cavalry to clean up. Try to retreat to your cities to heal whenever possible. Meanwhile, bring up reinforcements from the rear.

If you have done all of this, then you could post the game for advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X