• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see
    --More Units
    --More Buildings
    --More Techs

All of this could be accomplished by improving the editor to allow any of the three to be added without crashing the game. I would like to be able to go beyond altering what exists in the game and add what I think needs to be there. Such a change would also need a file of extra icons that could be assigned to new creations.
    Basically, I want the editor to let me do all of the things modders do with third party programs.
    "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

Re: wishes for the new patch

Originally posted by Alfonsus72
      COMBAT: When an attacking unit wins a combat, it automatically enter the square of the defeated one. That doesn´t happen in civ2, and sometimes (when you are attacking from a sieged city) is annoying. Instead of that, I would propose that when an attacking unit wins a combat it has 1 extra movement, so you could advance to the square or not at your will.
      Ground troops should have to advance into the square. Archers should not. BTW, they don't actually need an "extra" movement. They just move after the combat. If on a road, they could move 1/3, shoot, then continue down the road, or advance into the strike zone.

Comment

hi ,

Firaxis , more buildings please , .....

a prison , what is the point of a courthouse and a policestation , it just aint fair , ........and not complete , ......

a port , only to fix ship's , ..........including the ones from your allies , ........

and so on and so on , ........

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Doh! Double post... see below....
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by E
            FEASIBLE SUGGESTIONS
            Small wonder option with a pull down that says
            "allows construction of (pull down unit)"
            This would give the choice to make the Manhattan project a small wonder (said many times to be a nuclear program), or even a flight program etc.

In units an option pull down that says
            "can only be built in cities with [pull down improvement]"

un-hardcode what seems to be that you can require resources for improvements

Add more 'cultures" so good artists like sn00py can do some african cities etc and have the world look really diverse.
            These are outstanding ideas! Nice work, E.

My current wishlist:

*AWACS unit - provides a bonus to subsequent air combat when the AWACS unit performs recon of a square.

*Some sort of anti-air naval unit.

*More diplomacy options (Alliances, trade units, etc.)

*Other meanful uses for the UN; world treaties, embargos, "peace" keeping, etc. Not just vote and "GAME OVER".

*Do not allow cities to be built in tundra/desert - OR in the editor allow user to define whether terrain allows cities to be built. This will make colonies meaningful throughout the game, especially when oil shows up in the middle of an uninhabitable region.....
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
              Supposedly, the number of resources you can have is still hard-coded, and tech-adding is a oain. So maybe that could be made easier for modders.
              It's not the number of hard coded resources that's been the problem. I believe it's 82, which is way more than enough. It's the ability of having unique icons for each. This was increased in the last patch to 36 from 24. Any resources above that point will have to share an icon with another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Deornwulf
                I would like to see
                --More Units
                --More Buildings
                --More Techs

All of this could be accomplished by improving the editor to allow any of the three to be added without crashing the game. I would like to be able to go beyond altering what exists in the game and add what I think needs to be there. Such a change would also need a file of extra icons that could be assigned to new creations.
                Basically, I want the editor to let me do all of the things modders do with third party programs.
                You can easily add units and buildings without the risk of crashing the game, you just have to learn how to do it properly. There's just a couple of things you have to do manually, and they aren't all that complicated either. I'm not sure about the techs, I haven't tried that one yet.

I agree though, there should be a way of building a utility like the MultiTool right into the editor.

Comment

The only thing I *really* would like, is for the AI to make more thoughtful foreign policy decisions... Like who to declare war on (not the dude on the other side of the planet).
                  I hate oral!!

Comment

Separate bombardment strengths for Land, Sea & Air.

Would allow submarine attacks by bombardment (sea only).
                    Would allow flack (anti-air) ground units with a passive ZOC which defends against air attacks (same square only).

Thank you Uber for the inspiration.
                    JB

Comment

Oh yes, anything that ENDS the absurdity of Culture Flipping and Settler Diarrhea is TOPS on my list of changes for Civ 3.

The entire system is also too tedious and needs to be more intuitive.

Until such problems as these are rectifiied, all this crap about new UU's and new civs is just irrelevant window dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                        Oh yes, anything that ENDS the absurdity of Culture Flipping and Settler Diarrhea is TOPS on my list of changes for Civ 3.

The entire system is also too tedious and needs to be more intuitive.

Until such problems as these are rectifiied, all this crap about new UU's and new civs is just irrelevant window dressing.
                        How is it not intuitive? It's as easy to use as your favorite game.

Why do you think anybody at Firaxis is going to listen to you? You are the one with the Culture Flipping and Settler Diarrhea problem.

Culture Flipping- Not historically accurate, and having persians,aztecs and babylonians in the modern age is accurate? This is NOT a history lesson.

However, I do think they could have done this differently.

Settler Diarrhea- So basically you want the AI to sit there so YOU can take all the land before them. Wow, that makes the game tough doesn't it.
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Navyman
                          My biggest wish for the next patch would be four new units:

The AAW Destroyer (ie Aegis, Kirov?, ect)
                          The Mobile Air-Defense Unit (ie Linebacker, Tungushka, etc) with an increase in the bombard values for aircraft
                          The Self Propelled Artillery (ie Paladin, PzH2000, etc)
                          Maybe A Sea Mine (ie an unit that is invisible to enemy, has zero movement points, and is deployed at sea by a transport and/or sub, has no nationality)

These new units will improve gameplay tremendously. I am tired of my tanks crawling because the artillery can't keep up which is just not the case in modern warfare. That is exactly the reason self-propelled artillery was created. The sea mine could solve the problem with not being able to blockade a large civ.

I know I can just as well change the movement points of the arty to 2 but I like the idea of having towed arty (existing) along with the self-propelled.
                          On top this, I would also like to see an attack helo like an Apache and a modification to the AI.

One of the most INANE things is when a civ is upset with me because I broke a treaty with its enemy! That does sound logical? Civ-A is fighting Civ-B and I break an RoP with Civ-B and start knocking down Civ-B's cities. But Civ-A is upset that I started to fight its enemy? Civ-A should be happy with me and give me tribute for helping them.
                          "Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Comment

Originally posted by Navyman

One of the most INANE things is when a civ is upset with me because I broke a treaty with its enemy! That does sound logical? Civ-A is fighting Civ-B and I break an RoP with Civ-B and start knocking down Civ-B's cities. But Civ-A is upset that I started to fight its enemy? Civ-A should be happy with me and give me tribute for helping them.

It is all about not keeping your word; something that used to be very important IRL. It doesn't matter if you break your word with their friends or enemies, it matters that you broke your word. It shows a lack of being able to trust you to keep your word with them. This is true IRL as well. Do you trust "friends" that break their words to your enemies? If they do it to your enemies, it is only a matter of time before they do it to you. It;s cdalled backstabbing.

Would you trust another player, even a friend, in MP that used the RoP abuse to attack one of your enemies. As the saying goes: today's friend may be tomorrow's enemy. I wouldn't trust someone that broke their word that way. As has been said before: Character matters; even if it is only a game.

How many times have you either heard/seen where longtime friends suddenly become bitter enemies, and longtime enemies become best of friends.

Comment

Originally posted by E

anyways...

FEASIBLE SUGGESTIONS
                              Small wonder option with a pull down that says
                              "allows construction of (pull down unit)"
                              This would give the choice to make the Manhattan project a small wonder (said many times to be a nuclear program), or even a flight program etc.

In units an option pull down that says
                              "can only be built in cities with [pull down improvement]"
                              Great ideas - right now the equivalent of Kotzebue, Alaska can build a Battleship - I don't think so.

I'd make the units option apply to improvements too - bank requires market place and so on. Maybe up to three - like resource requirements are now.

A dream, editor that supports: harbor allows shipyard allows naval base allows naval air station allows carriers.

Or aircraft factory and airbase allows bomber unit.

Consider even at the height of WWII the US only built carriers and BB's in 2-3 places, and now carriers are only built in Newport News, VA.

might need to rebalance the unit costs if this were done, but BB's and carriers and bombers require infrastructure to build.

sidenote: am using pop cost - 3 for carriers - now for modern units
                              seems to have a nice feel and logic to it.

Comment

Real world diplomacy and geopolitics doesn't have a bean to do with trust. It is all about how well can you scratch my back and what i have to do in return.

Relations b/w nations and relations b/w people are definitely not the same thing or even close.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

I am not saying that Civ-B should give me its undying affection and loyalty that I stabbed it enemy in the back but at least give me a temporary acknowledgement that I am HELPING its sorry rear end. There were games where I singlehandedly saved small civs (so that I could keep them as my own fiefdoms ) from a larger aggressor but had to break a treaty to do it. But did I get any acknowledgement from the saved civ? NOPE! Just got a punk attitude from a peepsqueak!

"Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Comment

Working...
                                X