Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wishes for the new patch

Some things that would made civ3 a better experience imho:

AI-CITIES: AI shouln´t build cities on border squares, neither in squares with 0 food production.

AI-BARTER: AI shouldn´t barter more than 2 cities at a time with human players. That´s to avoid the tactic of taking AI civ capitol city and barter it for all the other cities.

COLONIES: For them to be useful, seaside colonies should streamline trade with your cities with harbour without a road connection. Colonies shouldn´t be destroyed automatically by frontiers advance, maybe it could depend on culture, colonies could have a fix culture value of, let´s say 1 per turn, and to destroy them the enemy nearby city should have to take them by culture as if they were towns.

EXPLORERS: For them to be useful, there could be an small chance of spawning a Leader when they enter a hut.

COMBAT: When an attacking unit wins a combat, it automatically enter the square of the defeated one. That doesn´t happen in civ2, and sometimes (when you are attacking from a sieged city) is annoying. Instead of that, I would propose that when an attacking unit wins a combat it has 1 extra movement, so you could advance to the square or not at your will.

Some thoughts:

AI-CITIES: I don't mind the AI building cities where there's no food production. The human player can do the same, and AFAIK, you get minimum food, shields and commerce in your city, even if the underlying tile is unproductive.
    If the AI wants to build on border squares, that gives me the opportunity to take that city by culture flipping, so I don't mind. Sometimes I even invite the AI to do so by leaving just enough space in between my cities, so that it will be filled with an AI city that is easily to conquer.

AI-BARTER: you cannot barter for ALL the other cities, just the non-capitol ones

COLONIES: I like the idea of colonies remaining intact, even if an AI city is built next to it. I'd say they need to be taken by force. About the culture thing point for colonies I'm not so convinced, because that would mean that the territory for a colony would expand, even though you don't have a city there.

EXPLORERS: good idea

COMBAT: very good idea

Comment

I don't like any of these ideas... maybe that Leader in a hut for an Explorer... but who's ever seen huts still existing when Explorers become available? And for Scouts that would just be to powerful...

Comment

I can think of a hundred ideas for improvement, but here is just one:

Allow us to use NEW MAPS without having to re-Edit our mod values for every single map.

If we have an Edited game (and we should the original values being stupid) those values should apply to any new map we choose to try out without further need for Editing.

Comment

- Minimap in the map editor
          - A revamped culture flipping system
          - Reworked tech tree (Galleons and Frigates 10 turns before ironclads definitely isn't enough of an Age of Sail era)
          - Less unpredictability in combat (realistically speaking, a regular spearman shouldn't be able to successfully defend itself against an elite longbow. Many other examples, but this is the most recurring one in my games)
          - More useful artillery units.
          - NO MORE SETTLER DIORRHEA FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!
          - Increased AI respect for territorial borders.

Just a couple there. There are many more on my mind, but these are the main ones IMO.
          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

hi ,

put IFE back to the other side of the moon , .........

increased range for all airunits , .........

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Supposedly, the number of resources you can have is still hard-coded, and tech-adding is a oain. So maybe that could be made easier for modders.
              Up the Irons!
              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
              Odysseus and the March of Time
              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                I can think of a hundred ideas for improvement, but here is just one:

Allow us to use NEW MAPS without having to re-Edit our mod values for every single map.

If we have an Edited game (and we should the original values being stupid) those values should apply to any new map we choose to try out without further need for Editing.
                Oh yes, the same applies for new scenarios if and when Firaxis ever deigns to SELL them to us. Scenario-building should have come with the basic game as in Civ 2.

Comment

Tradable Food?

I have a suggestion for an improvement for the next patch, version, ect.:

How is it that a city with neither Iron nor Oil can produce Battleships (just as an example) but a city without enough food squares around it just starves while other cities produce more food than they use?

If luxury/strateigic resources can be brought into a city via roads/harbors/airports, couldn't food too????

How many cities in the real world actually produce their own food? Food is grown in other parts of the state/country/world and imported/traded just as are other resources.

The U.S. emposes 'grain embargos' on various other nations. It couldn't do this if it didn't have grain to trade in the first place.

I would like to be able to 'trade' food at least between the cities of a civ, and possibly between civs as well. Say you nuked your enemy's food production, then to get Peace, offer to trade him/her food or other resources. Food should be a tradable commodity in a later patch.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.
                  "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

I'm for the food idea.
                    But more like trading bonus resources (i.e. wheat, gold etc), but when you trade them you get their bonuses (where as str gives you build ability, luxuries happiness, bonus you can trade and give bonuses being food etc)

Explorers: I changed them to be able to build colonies and have the hidden nationality (like privateers)
                    so that they don't cost pop points liike workers, and they can explore territories without ticking off the AI (they can do the same too)
                    but they still suck by the time you get them. with the new colony suggestions they would be better.
                    (off topic I made a barbarian mercenary with the same hdden nationality, adds fun when you can send them to pillage resource roads without war, and also made spec. ops to do the same but they require a special resource)

anyways...

FEASIBLE SUGGESTIONS
                    Small wonder option with a pull down that says
                    "allows construction of (pull down unit)"
                    This would give the choice to make the Manhattan project a small wonder (said many times to be a nuclear program), or even a flight program etc.

In units an option that makes units obsolete (some units should not upgrade but should also not be available, like naval units)

In units an option pull down that says
                    "can only be built in cities with [pull down improvement]"

un-hard code luxuries. starting with just using the resources.pcx luxury icons in the city view instead of the luxuriessmall.pcx

un-hardcode what seems to be that you can require resources for improvements

able to add more improvements etc, and making it in the editor where you can specify the file even if its just a small square, this would make sharing improvement graphics easier and to avoid the pain, they don't have to show up in the city view.

in the editor have it so you can pick the wonder splash etc instead of it being in the text files. that goes for just about everything that requires a text file change.

Add more 'cultures" so good artists like sn00py can do some african cities etc and have the world look really diverse.

LONGSHOTS
                    I'm all about resources so maybe a new city improvement that allows workers to plant X number of resource in city square with improvement"
                    x being determined in editor (this can allow improvements like cotton plantations or other stuff like even car factories, and then you have a bigger trading game for those inclined)

other bigger ideas, but they won't go in, so i'm going to just hope for these.
                    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

hi ,

Firaxis , fix the maps on the civ site , ......Marla's map is great but it is playing around with the arts files , it decreases your chance to see certain units , like leader , etc , also the Piroque unit should be pulled out , and all the fields and values , that have nothing to do with the map itself should be fixed , ....its a good map but it changes top much on arts and other files , ......and there seems to be a problem with 1.21f , ....

have a nice day
                      Last edited by Panag; May 29, 2002, 09:56.
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

My biggest wish for the next patch would be four new units:

The AAW Destroyer (ie Aegis, Kirov?, ect)
                        The Mobile Air-Defense Unit (ie Linebacker, Tungushka, etc) with an increase in the bombard values for aircraft
                        The Self Propelled Artillery (ie Paladin, PzH2000, etc)
                        Maybe A Sea Mine (ie an unit that is invisible to enemy, has zero movement points, and is deployed at sea by a transport and/or sub, has no nationality)

These new units will improve gameplay tremendously. I am tired of my tanks crawling because the artillery can't keep up which is just not the case in modern warfare. That is exactly the reason self-propelled artillery was created. The sea mine could solve the problem with not being able to blockade a large civ.

I know I can just as well change the movement points of the arty to 2 but I like the idea of having towed arty (existing) along with the self-propelled.
                        "Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Comment

Originally posted by Navyman
                          My biggest wish for the next patch would be four new units:

The AAW Destroyer (ie Aegis, Kirov?, ect)
                          The Mobile Air-Defense Unit (ie Linebacker, Tungushka, etc) with an increase in the bombard values for aircraft
                          The Self Propelled Artillery (ie Paladin, PzH2000, etc)
                          Maybe A Sea Mine (ie an unit that is invisible to enemy, has zero movement points, and is deployed at sea by a transport and/or sub, has no nationality)

These new units will improve gameplay tremendously. I am tired of my tanks crawling because the artillery can't keep up which is just not the case in modern warfare. That is exactly the reason self-propelled artillery was created. The sea mine could solve the problem with not being able to blockade a large civ.

I know I can just as well change the movement points of the arty to 2 but I like the idea of having towed arty (existing) along with the self-propelled.
                          hi ,

there should be a ASW heli on a ship , .....
                          more artillery , there is a huge gap , and there should be artillery that is able to "airdrop" , can be done true editor , but does not work that good , .....
                          increase on airunits , .....
                          a nuclear sub that hunts other subs "hunter-kiler" , ......
                          modern infantry , ........

have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                            Scenario-building should have come with the basic game as in Civ 2.
                            Damn, I knew that Microprose cheated me! My copy of Civ2 has no scenario building!! I want my money back!!!

Comment

Quote:
                              Small wonder option with a pull down that says
                              "allows construction of (pull down unit)"

That is an awesome idea! Would do so much to add more depth to the modern age.
                              Example:

Small wonder: Radar Research Facility --> Allows: Aegis Destroyer & Mobile Air Defense unit

Small wonder: Skunk Works --> Allows: F22 Raptor

Small wonder: Pentagon --> Allows: Elite units

etc
                              "Misery, misery, misery. That's what you've chosen" -Green Goblin-

Comment

Working...
                              X