Ethnic Workers are Lazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic Workers are Lazy!

Has anyone else noticed in Civ3 that when you capture any Workers that they retain their nationality? For instance, when you activate one of your Workers, it's called a 'Worker', but when one of the Workers that you've captured it's called 'Worker (civname)'.

The only problem with this is that these 'ethnic' Workers seem to be lazy! It takes an 'ethnic' worker twice as long to perform the same action as one of your Workers.

Isn't this expanding stereotypes???!!! Whatever happened to integration and assimilation?

Can't we all just get along??
    "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

They will also retain their nationality when you use them to increase the population of a city (press B). I think that as citizens they gradually assimilate over time, but I don't know whether the workers assimilate.

Comment

I thought this game was a lesson in history, not in political correctness

Comment

They are slaves and only work with the power of 1/4 (I think it's that) free worker. You don't have to pay any support for them.

For them to turn into your nationallity they need to join a city with strong culture.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

this may or may not be in the manual. I think it is, and if you are industrious slave labor works twice as hard.

Comment

Even if 'slave labor' works twice as hard, they're still only worth half as much.

It's probably better NOT to capture them, or if you do, have them join a city or disband or something.
            "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

I much prefer to capture them. Most of my land is developed by captured workers ... you can get tons of them!

It is on the list of things that makes war pay so well in Civ3.
              Good = Love, Love = Good
              Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Captured workers work at 1/2 the rate of normal workers. They cost nothing to maintain and you can capture hundreds of them. I seldom built more than 20 of my own and sometimes not that many.

If you don't want them you can move them to your capital and you can trade them like cattle.

Comment

I believe that keeping the slaves adversely effects the attitude of the civ they come from though. So if you want to improve your relations you can give them back.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                    Captured workers work at 1/2 the rate of normal workers. They cost nothing to maintain and you can capture hundreds of them. I seldom built more than 20 of my own and sometimes not that many.

If you don't want them you can move them to your capital and you can trade them like cattle.
                    That is correct don't throw them away there is no point because they don't cost you anything unless you have mined, roaded and irragated every sqaure
                    Denday

Comment

Captured workers work at half the rate of your own workers.

Captured workers don't have maintanence cost.

They affect your relationship with their native Civ. If you keep them the originating civ will think less of you. If you give them back or even sell them back the Civ will think better of you again. There is no downside, except for their speed, in keeping workers from completely destroyed civs.

If you incorportate the captured workers into your cities the AI civ will think better of you. If you disband them they will think less of you. So if I make peace I am now more likely to give captured workers back if I want good relationships even if I captured them from a third civ. If the originating civ is destroyed I keep them.

Comment

Originally posted by nato
                        I much prefer to capture them. Most of my land is developed by captured workers ... you can get tons of them!

It is on the list of things that makes war pay so well in Civ3.
                        yes. i build maybe one or two workers on my main continent, and i enlave like 20-40. i dont care how slow they are, i double them up.

they're free dammit!
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: Ethnic Workers are Lazy!

Originally posted by steven8r

The only problem with this is that these 'ethnic' Workers seem to be lazy! It takes an 'ethnic' worker twice as long to perform the same action as one of your Workers.

Isn't this expanding stereotypes???!!! Whatever happened to integration and assimilation?
                          Actually, they have no incentive to work hard, being forced labor.
                          Let my people go!

Comment

then explain why slaves of industrious nations work 2x as hard :P

Comment

They're just a spoil of war, don't complain cause i love them! i hardly build any workers, i just get a bunch from war and build up my nation with them, which is easy as an industrious nation cause i think that the ethnic workers of an industrious nation work as fast as the regular workers of non-industrious.

The only reason I can guess at for why industrious nations' slaves work harder (odds are there is no reason because the people who made this game realize that its just a game and don't whine about little incoherrencies) is that the "industrious trait represents the know-how and tools that the nation possesses.

Comment

Working...
                              X