Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City names

I picked this idea up from another thread:

I would like the city names to be in their native language, which can be changed in the editor.

Here's my input for the German ones:

Berlin
    Leipzig
    Hamburg
    Königsberg
    Frankfurt
    München
    Heidelberg
    Nürnberg
    Köln
    Hannover
    Bremen
    Stuttgart
    Bonn
    Salzburg (is Austrian, but hey...)
    Dortmund
    Brandenburg

and some more:
    Dresden
    Düsseldorf
    Kiel
    Flensburg
    Kassel
    Chemnitz
    Münster
    Magdeburg
    Mannheim
    Freiburg
    Aachen
    Halle
    Göttingen
    Mainz
    Augsburg

I'd be interested in the proper spelling for the other civs (esp. Roman, French, Russian (well, in latin characters...) and the upcoming new civs from the XP).

Thanks in advance!

French cities

Here are the ones for France in the French version of the game. I doubt that they differ that much from the names used in the English version (for the German version, I don't know )

Paris
    Orléans
    Lyon
    Reims
    Tours
    Marseille
    Chartres
    Avignon
    Besançon
    Rouen
    Grenoble
    Dijon
    Amiens
    Cherbourg
    Poitiers
    Toulouse
    Bayonne
    Strasbourg
    Brest
    Bordeaux
    Rennes
    Si vis pacem, para bellum (9 mm)

Comment

Well, the lone Ukrainian city included in the game:

Kiev - Kyiv

anyway, the Viking civ (if included) is the only one I'd REALLY want to have traditional names, as they're all so different.
      The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. My (crappy) LiveJournal

Comment

Thanks, Alanus.

Yes, they differ slightly in the English version (Marseille - Marseilles, Lyon - Lyons, etc.). I didn't see the German version of the game, so I don't know whether the spelling for German cities is already correct there.

Thanks, Mikhail,

I didn't know that Ukrainian city names are so different in the Russian spelling - interesting.

Comment

I was just thinking that "Strasbourg" would spell "Strasburg" in German ...

Comment

... and in the French version, the names of the cities have been definitely transposed into the French spelling.

e.g. for German cities :
            Frankfurt --> Francfort
            Köln --> Cologne
            etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Alanus
              I was just thinking that "Strasbourg" would spell "Strasburg" in German ...
              Well, being German myself, I'd still prefer the French spelling for French cities. One could change the name manually into the other spelling, once the city has been taken over (and the AI could do so vice versa). But that's a matter of taste after all.

Comment

Especially because the question of "Alsace" could be a matter of dispute between the French and the Germans (fortunately, this is history - and we're all in the European Union).

Comment

I knew you would have some comment on Strasbourg taken over....
                  Of course I meant that more general, not specific to French / German conflicts. And I was refering to game terms, not real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla

Well, being German myself, I'd still prefer the French spelling for French cities. One could change the name manually into the other spelling, once the city has been taken over (and the AI could do so vice versa). But that's a matter of taste after all.
                    You're german? Then why do those couple of words under your avatar say your Dutch. ( Haven't met many people from holland who publicly stated they were german)

(no offense)
                    ICH BIN EIN WARMONGER!!!

Comment

You also want Chinese names in Chinese characters??
                      How about Egyptian names all written with hieroglyphics?

Iroquois didn't have a written language. The Cherokees did, though. Make them a Cherokee civ and change the city names.

Comment

There we go again ......

The Iroquois, and many other Amerind tribes, had a glyph script somewhat comparable to that of eg the Egyptians.

The Iroquois used it to record laws, treaties and major events on wampum belts, and for messages. Other tribes (such as the Kiowa) used hides.

In the early 17th century, Jesuit priests created an alphabet for the Mohawk language. This alphabet eventually evolved into the Pickering alphabet that is now used for most northern Amerind languages.
                        The Cherokee (who are btw related to the Iroquois) alphabet was just one step on this path.

That said, the city list of the Iroquois is an insult , putting the names into the Pickering alphabet (which can be done with ASCII) won't change that.
                        A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                        Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by V.O.C.'02

You're german? Then why do those couple of words under your avatar say your Dutch. ( Haven't met many people from holland who publicly stated they were german)

(no offense)
                          Well, that's for location, not for nationality. I live in Holland...
                          And no offense taken

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
                            That said, the city list of the Iroquois is an insult
                            Well, I guess Firaxis' list for every civ is an insult. City names are often poorly choosen, misspelled (like the German Heidelburg, right would be Heidelberg) and they are not enough. This can be modded out, but with 1.21f I keep to get a message, that I am not playing with the standard rules, which is nonsense, since I changed only city names.

By the way, same thing with leaders. Who the heck was "Richtoffen"? Do they mean Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen, the Red Baron? Choosing Hengist and Horsa as German leaders is also ridiculous.

That's one of the few things I don't like about the game.

Comment

For sure Firaxis didn't spend too much time compulsing history or geography books for the various Civs.

For what I know well, French cities, I would have sorted them in decreasing order of current population, and certainly put more (40 +) in the basic game. Well they could have taken their inspiration from the TONs of mods from previous games of the series (e.g. on this excellent forum )

Comment

Working...
                              X