Pop rushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop rushing

I've been playing Civ3 and reading these forums for a few days now and one term that keeps comming up that I have no idea what it means is pop rushing to build city improvements or military. Could some one please explain this to me. Thanks.

You can "hurry" city improvements (buildings & units) and build them in 1 turn. Under Democracy, Republic and Monarchy, you do so by paying gold from your treasury (paying citizen overtime). Under Communism and Despotism, you do it at a cost to your city's population (citizens worked to death and/or emigration from such a heartless ruler!).

"Pop rushing" (or population-based rushing) usually refers to rushing improvements / units early in the game while in despotism (resulting in losing population), often to quickly build a sizeable military force in order to quickly subjugate your neighboring civilizations.

Catt

Comment

Thanks, I've done that in democracy with money, seems like a good way to spend extra cash. I may try it in depotism in my next game if I get a city who's population growes quickly.

Comment

Can the PC pop rush as well, or will it? I'm just curious as I don't think I've seen that discussed ever before? I wonder if that could be programmed into it? That would make a nice addition to it's strategy...of course that would probably nullify a lot of players strategies for staying alive in the early game at later difficulties.

Comment

Don't overdue the pop rushing. It causes unhappiness for 20 turns. The AI does use it and even sometimes abuse it if they are going to lose a city. That and drafting can lead to cities that are worthless from unhappiness for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
            Don't overdue the pop rushing. It causes unhappiness for 20 turns.
            The main reason I stayed away from pop rushing was this.
            You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

As of 1.17f, not only could the AI pop rush, it did so to the extreme in communism. I wonder was it fixed in 1.21?

Comment

The unhappiness was toned down from 40 turns to 20 turns in 1.21f. Wether the AI has been tweaked not to rush/draft so much or not, I don't know. At least neither me nor (as far as I read) anyone else has seen the typical AI selfdestruction under Communism since 1.21f.

Comment

Working...
                X