No announcement yet.

strategy game of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a "dollars per hour of 'enjoyment' basis," you are way ahead.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

If you rate value by dollars per hour then its worth a lot more than $40. Personally, I think thats a bogus argument. I've stopped playing it for now and picked up shogun WE.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
        Worse, the stuff you build (temples and libraries) has other built in game effects that would prompt you to build them anyway (who doesn't build temples and libraries??).

They had an opportunity, with the advent of Culture to make a whole new line of buildings (a thing we're LONG overdue for in Civ, IMO) that specialize in culture production and enhancement (with the possibility of increasing trade--tourism--income.

Minor wonders that are purely culturally related
        All that can be modded
        (and I did it as soon as I could ^^)
        Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

I bought EU2 for 35 Euro, played it about a weekend and put it on the shelf. I don't call it a rip-off, just seems it's not made for me. It's a great game though... for others. I don't play it, cos I'm not a masochist like other people... *looks around*

If you can get Civ3 for $35-40, it's worth the money. It still has weak points and may not have the legs for years like Civ2, but I play it for 6 months now and still enjoy it. But don't play it out of the box, get the 1.21 patch, it's worth the effort.

Comment

Civ3 has given me hundreds of hours of gaming enjoyment.

Indeed, if you browse these forums, you will surely notice some posters who have had hundreds of hours of enjoyment merely bashing the game -- so it must be good! (Think about it. They are willing, even eager, to bash the game, day after day, week after week, month after month, rather than just walk away.)

Definitely, use the latest patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel
              (Think about it. They are willing, even eager, to bash the game, day after day, week after week, month after month, rather than just walk away.)
              It's an hard work, but someone must do it!
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

My honest opinion is that anybody who didn't buy it yet should wait for the bundled game/XP pack that will probably hit the shelves five or so months after the XP release as Civ3 Gold.

Much better value for money will it be, my young apprentice.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Akka - Modding is not an answer. All of the features Vel talks about should have been included in the game in the first place. I once curiously wandered into the mod section of the boards and ran away in terror after reading all of the steps involved in installing the blitz mod.

Pat - Find out if any of the ranters live in your city and when they returned or sold their copy back to your local computer store. You can then pick it up off the used rack really cheap. (It's really funny how rarely I see CivIII in the used bin.)
                  "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

Originally posted by Deornwulf
                    Akka - Modding is not an answer. All of the features Vel talks about should have been included in the game in the first place. I once curiously wandered into the mod section of the boards and ran away in terror after reading all of the steps involved in installing the blitz mod.

Pat - Find out if any of the ranters live in your city and when they returned or sold their copy back to your local computer store. You can then pick it up off the used rack really cheap. (It's really funny how rarely I see CivIII in the used bin.)
                    hi ,

they could not have been there to start with , ...when the game was being developed they started to go further and further , they never thought that it was posible to get 16 civ's , leave alone 24 , ..however now the rumour has it that they could go all the way up to 32 , .....Gramhos went as far as 31 ,...........

about mods , well , you cant have 100 % from day one , Rome and Paris where not build in a day either , ...........

running away is not the right thing , your input counts , .....
                    if everone would run away we would be no-where , however there has been a long road that has all ready been walked , and there shall be more to walk , ......

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I pick Disciples2 over CivIII. At least I have more fun playing it. It is far more beautiful. And it need only 2 patches to fix, not 10 or so.

Comment

my 2p, or £0.02
                        get civ3, it is worth it, but before you play get several graphics mod packs, and the patches, and some senario/mods, they make the game a lot better, snoopys work, and the various world maps (marlas), and some other stuff.
                        Just my 2p.
                        Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
                        Which shows you learn something every day.
                        formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X