Expertise on War Weariness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... any results yet?
    I for one, am very interested in the results of your research into war weariness. does losing units actually increase ww? I was told yes in another thread but I'm not 100% sure.
    also, does killing enemy units increase or decrease ww? or is it a ratio of losses?
    also, does ww increase if you're at war with more than one civ? does size of enemy matter?
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Sorry for being such a berserker, but I think that all these factors SHOULD (I didn't say "do", okay?) have an effect, but be RANDOMIZED to affect WW either way!

Perhaps not 50/50, perhaps something like 67/33 or 75/25 chance each turn that when something would have an affect. Perhaps 'length of war' would be exempt, and only increase WW. This could simulate apparent victories, propaganda successes (and failures), etc. Most terrifying would be if when WW was decreased, it was only temporary, so after the turn or two of effect, it all went negative.

JB

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Captain
          So... any results yet?
          I for one, am very interested in the results of your research into war weariness. does losing units actually increase ww? I was told yes in another thread but I'm not 100% sure.
          also, does killing enemy units increase or decrease ww? or is it a ratio of losses?
          also, does ww increase if you're at war with more than one civ? does size of enemy matter?
          hi ,

the more civ's you are at war with the more WW , the longer it takes the more WW , did you start the war , WW , if not WW but less , ...

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Sorry, not yet. I've been very busy. I did send off an email to Firaxis, but I'm not holding my breath on the response.

I will probably try to set up the continents idea before I actually do any testing though.

I think the major problem with WW testing is going to be that you have to take into account at least 2 factors at once, time passed and whatever other factor you want to test. Continents may allow a baseline to be established on the WW vs time scale by allowing an early declaration of war by the player without any actual combat occuring for a while.
            Fitz. (n.) Old English
            1. Child born out of wedlock.
            2. Bastard.

Comment

I got tied up with sick kids most of the weekend and yesterday. While wiping runny noses, it occured to me that, as opposed to my continents idea, it would be pretty simple to use the editor to create a largely ready-made game. I could do two civilizations, regent, tiny pangea, but provide both human and AI at the start with 4 or 5 settlers, several workers, numerous military units, a good chunk of gold, and all techs through the ancient age. Thereafter, with only 20 or 30 turns, could probably have a reasonably developed map with limited chance of allowing a "traditional enemy" problem to arise. Will try to do this and post for any interested in running experiments.

Catt

Comment

i wanted to suggest that some of the war weariness may just be general unhappiness. i usually lose a few luxuries when going to war, which will naturally make my peeps unhappy. just an observation.
                drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Hella
                  i wanted to suggest that some of the war weariness may just be general unhappiness. i usually lose a few luxuries when going to war, which will naturally make my peeps unhappy. just an observation.
                  hi ,

true there is a huge difference between "regular" and War W, ....

but there are sollutions to it , ........

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

i know; i'm just suggesting that the sudden lack of luxuries could add to the problem.
                    drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Hella
                      i know; i'm just suggesting that the sudden lack of luxuries could add to the problem.
                      hi ,

and that is one of the reasons to go to war , .......

its like a catch 22

have a nice day

Comment

Fitz, Catt, thanks for the research efforts. I look forward to your results!
                        My main question is still about unit losses, your own and your enemies.

Bella, good point. I think Fitz and Catt will probably have luxuries turned off, or made constant somehow to negate their effects. I'm not sure how though, other than not connecting them.
                        Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                        Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                        Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                        Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

And i have seen wars that never create ww, russians declared war on me, i get happiness boost and go take their main cities. Im playing on emperor and im democratic. I raze some of their cities, and now they have just few remote towns. Its been more than 30 turns i think, and im sure i still get happiness boost so i dont want peace, i just leave then alone and dont speak to them, and they dont speak to me. If i could have damaged then more (they were small so they had only some cities, i razed 4), i would have lost the bonus or even got ww.
                          My point is that most likely, being in a war never increases ww, only what u do and how much, and also how war starts.
                          Also i think multiple wars are just summed, war1 ww+ war2 ww and so on, so just find the war your people dont like and make peace just with them.
                          I would like to know that when ww kicks in, will it increase no matter what u do (other than actual peace or revolution) after it actually starts? I believe so but im not sure.

I hope i didnt repeat anyones words just now.

Comment

I just finished a game as Japan. I had started a long war with Greece and was suffering ~50% WW with US + police stations and was at 20% entertainment as a republic. Later on, Rome declared war on me and i had a couple cities go into WLTKD. I eventually destroyed the Greeks and my WW went away completely although i was still at war with Rome.

In the same game, i just finished a war with Egypt and started one with India a couple turns later. I started them both. there was no carryover WW from the first war. Which is opposite what i have read to expect. It is possible that militaristic civs suffer WW differently than others.
                            [c3c] 1.22(f?)
                            For better barbarians, add NoAIPatrol=0 to conquests.ini (see this thread )

Comment

Sounds like WW is addative and individual for each civ you are/can be at war with.
                              Fitz. (n.) Old English
                              1. Child born out of wedlock.
                              2. Bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by watorrey
                                I just finished a game as Japan. I had started a long war with Greece and was suffering ~50% WW with US + police stations and was at 20% entertainment as a republic. Later on, Rome declared war on me and i had a couple cities go into WLTKD. I eventually destroyed the Greeks and my WW went away completely although i was still at war with Rome.

In the same game, i just finished a war with Egypt and started one with India a couple turns later. I started them both. there was no carryover WW from the first war. Which is opposite what i have read to expect. It is possible that militaristic civs suffer WW differently than others.
                                I could imagine, that militaristic civs are more forgiving. Maybe it's also important, with whom you had your fight and how your previous relation has been?
                                Did you change government in between?

Comment

Working...
                                X