No announcement yet.

coming back to Civ3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alright, i just read that strategy guide, and it would seem that we've been doing a no-no by talking about other posters, so drop it before ming the muppet appears and sends us all on a one way trip to mingapulco to visit with miss piggy.

what exactly does 1.21 change from the original version? i remember hearing a ton of people complain about corruption, did that get fixed or am i going to have to change myself? also, have the UU turned out to be a bust? i've been trying to read through some of the other threads trying to get a handle on what's been happening and i gather that they seem frivolous

Comment

Some of the UUs kick a$$. Others are scorned (English).

1.7 and 1.21 go a long way towards making corruption manageable. With 1.21 Police Stations reduce corruption, and both they and Courthouses have a larger impact. That's standard rules.

There is also a slider in the editor to make it easy to lessen or eliminate corruption altogether.

As for strategy... Early war is almost essential. Once you can build up your land mass and number of cities, and ensure yourself of all the critical resources then you should be able to play peaceful if you so desire.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
        alright, i just read that strategy guide, and it would seem that we've been doing a no-no by talking about other posters, so drop it before ming the muppet appears and sends us all on a one way trip to mingapulco to visit with miss piggy.

Good one

what exactly does 1.21 change from the original version? i remember hearing a ton of people complain about corruption, did that get fixed or am i going to have to change myself? also, have the UU turned out to be a bust? i've been trying to read through some of the other threads trying to get a handle on what's been happening and i gather that they seem frivolous
        Basically, it allows for MUCH more customization in the editor (HP bonus on a unit by unit basis, corruption slider, bonus to AI according the level, etc.) and it keeps all the good additions from the previous patches (pseudo-stacked movement is a big relief). The AI are a little less insane about trading than in the infamous 1.17f patch too.
        If you still find the game boring after giving it a try, I would suggest to get a mod, as there is now quite a bunch of good ones on the creation forum and some give a real different feeling about the game.
        (well there is mine to start with )
        Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
          Some of the UUs kick a$$. Others are scorned (English).

1.7 and 1.21 go a long way towards making corruption manageable. With 1.21 Police Stations reduce corruption, and both they and Courthouses have a larger impact. That's standard rules.
          so do i need to install both then?

Comment

so do i need to install both then?
            just download the 1.21, it has the other fixes too.

hope you enjoy it

Comment

I was less than thrilled with the original/standard release. I played a couple of games and put it away for some time after that.

I don't know what it was that I didn't like, but it just didn't appeal to me. After the 1.21 patch, and using a couple of the mods, I really enjoy the game. I find myself playing until 12:30 or 1:00 am each night...The only playing time I get is after my kids go to bed...

My strategies are simple...expand and conquer as early as possible. Take out as many other civilizations as you can as quickly as you can. You'll have more cities producing culture/money/science and you can jump out to an early lead.

I prefer to use civs with an early UU...The American F-15 and English boat hold no interest for me. I prefer land war over air or sea. So I go with France, Persia, Russia, etc...

Originally posted by player1
              Since I am not native English speaker, I realy have problems translating that "language" properly.

So please speak English!
              Or elase I'll be forced to speak my native language.
              So we both won't understand each other.
              Player 1: Your English is fine. If it is a second language for you, you should be proud of yourself for doing as well with it as you do. I have always been amazed by people from other countries that pick up and master the "American" english language...and generally do it better than many Americans.

H Tower: As far as your college, that is what I figured but I always check first...Go Fighting Illini!

Comment

its still annoying. i go through so many threads these days, i hate to have to stop and try and translate somones post when i should have been able to read it in 20 seconds max
                Then don't, just put him on your ignore list. If he wants to use his own language then he can go communicate with himself if he likes. But you don't need to let it bother you.

Comment

The Civ III web site should have a readme on the changes in 1.21, and maybe the other patches as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X