Migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration

Instead of cities being flipped due to culture why not have citizens be able to migrate to your cities to make them grow faster? The last citizen in defunct town please turn off the lights.
    I might as well just save you all the trouble... Ming is a bastard, Ming es un bastardo, Ming est un bâtard, Ming è un bastardo, Mingus bastardus est, Ming ist ein Mistkerl, Ming jest bêkartem, Ming är en horunge, Ming korcs, O Ming ine bastarthos, Ming on rakastajani...
    and if you don't understand any of these... Ming. Bastard is he. yesssss.

that would have been the sensible thing to do, and many people proposed it, but firaxis didnt listen. having population points migrate from city to city (even if within the SAME empire) would have been a better way to impliment culture flipping.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

i think culture flipping is great - it encourages all those warmongerers to stop and think about their people, rather than killing and enslaving everyone else.
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Since a few extra/fewer population points is basically meaningless, using migration instead of flipping would make culture basically meaningless. Migration may make more sense, but flipping makes culture an important concern and occupation a real task instead of a cake walk.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
          Since a few extra/fewer population points is basically meaningless, using migration instead of flipping would make culture basically meaningless. Migration may make more sense, but flipping makes culture an important concern and occupation a real task instead of a cake walk.
          i hardly would consider a population point being taken away from me and given to an enemy to be a cake walk, especially if i have a communist / despotism rush-buy system.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Bits and pieces of both migration and culture flipping should have been implemented. I'm sure that there are people who'd rather stay where they are, yet go and let the culturally superior neighbour rule. Maybe size 1 cities flip, and cities with higher population, lose their pop points to the nearby culturally superior city until it reaches size 1 (the size where it can flip in this system). It would at least give warning to you about the possibility of a flip, when your people are starting to disappear, and the neighbouring city is all-of-a-sudden much bigger. Still, the cultural advisor should give such warnings herself.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
            X