Is Civ3 getting boring for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MosesPresley

Lord Azreal, what is your online name for Shogun. Maybe we can meet for a battle online sometime. I love that game.
    I haven't played multiplayer of Shogun. Well, not yet anyway.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Lack of a real editor, lack of scenario-building, lack of MP, occasiobnal crashing, slowness, lack of a cheat mode, lack of anything to explore by the time we get to caravels, and other stuff, do increase the tedium.

Firaxis in its greed left out those crucial elements that helped give Civ 2 tremendous "legs". They want to now sell it to us in additional disks. I WILL BUY NOTHING MORE, FIRAXIS, unless you give me a rebate for being your beta tester for over five months.

Beyond that, all the AI cheating, and AI stupidities, do make for an increase in both irritation and predictability.

I said months ago, there will likely be more Civ 2 lovers back playing Civ 2 by the end of the year than playing Civ 3 - unless Firaxis does something - something OTHER than sell us what should have come with the game in the first place.

Comment

I wasn't particularly impressed with the game when I played it unpatched. 1.21 has improved it a lot and assuming these improvements continue into the expansion pack then I may get it. But lack of MP makes the game too boring, AIs are so predictable no matter how difficult they may be and anyway AIs don't talk back. Lack of scenarios also leads to a lack of replayability. Playing in the cf tourney has made things interesting recently but I'm desperately needing MP for the game to stay interesting (not that I want MP to be rushed though, I'd prefer to wait a year and have a good game).

Comment

I cycle, but not in a regular pattern. A while ago I actually got into the Space Quest series and other Adventure games (ie, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Kings Quest 5)

And I generally play Civ3 for the same amount of time as other games. Right now I'm on a mini-cycle between Civ3 and AOE 1/2.
          I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Cycling

As I was playing last night, I started thinking about a Railroad Tycoon II scenario I played a while back (Oregon & Empire). If I'm fantasizing about that game while playing this one, must be time to switch.

I cycle between Civ III (month or two now), RRTII, Europa Universalis, Age of Wonders, 7 Kingdoms (briefly), 1602, and when the kids take over my computer Colonization and Master of Magic on an older machine.

I also have a real relic that I consider great for its verisimilitude (although horrible, horrible graphic interface) and not bad AI (for its time) - I think its called War in the Pacific by Strategic Games(?). Anyone know if that's ever been updated? Circa when I had a PS2.
            Many are cold, but few are frozen.No more durrian, please. On On!

Comment

After the ancient and middle periods: stop game, start a new one. I just played two games,

One I played for a month and a half on a huge map. Made it through the renaissance doldrums to the space race circa 1945. I get attacked. Alright! war and space race, fun! the game crashes two turns into the war. No explanation, nothing can keep the game from restarting. Oh well, that was 1.16f, new patch -- new game.

Second game with 1.21f on a custom map I made. after the middle ages, crash!

bummer. buh-mer.

Comment

I too cycle my games.

I'd play more Civ3, but the correct starting on Marla Singer's world map won't work with the latest patch. And that's what I really want to do right now- play on a world map with correct starting positions.

I'll probably start on a SimCity3000 kick now that's school's out.
                You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb
                  After the ancient and middle periods: stop game, start a new one. I just played two games,

One I played for a month and a half on a huge map. Made it through the renaissance doldrums to the space race circa 1945. I get attacked. Alright! war and space race, fun! the game crashes two turns into the war. No explanation, nothing can keep the game from restarting. Oh well, that was 1.16f, new patch -- new game.

Second game with 1.21f on a custom map I made. after the middle ages, crash!

bummer. buh-mer.

CRASHING. yet another regular problem with the game.

If we had a scenario-builder we could create scenarios for the Modern Era. We wouldn't have to play a whole game to get to it, nor have a huge number of units to deal with.

Comment

Yes...in parts

I absolutely love the game...always have and always will.

But, there are times when the game just gets to dragging so much that I get bored and can't wait for the game to just end.

I decided to try something new for me. So I turned off all of the win conditions except space race. I have never one that way before so I wanted to make sure that was the only possibility.

By the time I got to the modern age, I had such a lead in science and power, that all I really had to do was hang around, clean up pollution, build some city improvements and wait until I finished building my ship. I swear it seemed to take weeks to finally finish the game.

I don't think I will be going that route again.

Comment

Originally posted by FrantzX
                      I'm playing Civ III just like I played Civ II. Play one whole game in a day or two, and then don't play for about two weeks. Repeat this pattern for the next five years or so.
                      haha, me too!

Comment

Civ3? Are you guys still playing that game. Man.

I don't buy many games anymore. Not since I realized that companies are following a strategy with their games. Make them pretty, make them shallow. So we will buy more.

I'll play a game and decide which pile it goes in. Rejects. Regulars. Hold for a game next year. Civ3 is the only civ game I put in the rejects pile.

Comment

yup, i'm a cycler.

it's only been a little while since i've actually started playing civ (like a little over a month! ), but i got heroes 4 recently and cycle between that and civ (what is UP with game makers not including MP in the first run?!?!? ARGH!!! ). i was on a diablo 2 kick for a long time before getting into civ, but even then i'd take a break and play heroes 3.

i really want to take peoples' suggestions of great games to get, but i can only handle a few at a time! i have a practically unused copy of simcity 3000 that i've had since christmas, 2000!!!

i either have to stop buying games, or just play a lot more so i get tired of them more quickly.
                          drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Civ3 is a little samey; it has always lacked the versatility of civ2 and SMAC. But I have had a fair amount of play out of it, and will still continue with comparison games here and at CF.

Comment

Take a break & don't play for a few days. Gets interesting again.
                              "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

I must be different. Sure, I got some games, I like to play (not much time), but still in the end, Civilization wins out. Sure, the next game always seems to be more, even MOOIII will seem to be more, but I think half of it is -- all games seem the same after awhile. (I usually only play those type of games anyway - IGII - SMAC).
                                So, here I will say it, --- I think its what one 'feels' about playing any game -- part of it to me is seeing (like a leader) how long that I can play CIV III without being mad, bad, bored, or anything else -- have to admit -- a sense of humor is needed.
                                And I have to admit that CIV III is the only game where I end up smiling more because of the way it plays.
                                I think this will go on for years, again.

It has to do with real life -- life or death -- and CIVIII is just funny!
                                It always has been funny --- 'a game about/having -- a model about Civilization --- I am glad that such a game came out.

I always listen to the radio - talk shows -- somewhat -- or TV shows -- while playing anyway --- and that will always make this game even better while being involved with the news of the day --- or some parts of this World anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X