Is Civ3 getting boring for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ3 getting boring for you?

I have to admit, Civ3 is getting boring already and I think it's the lack of the editor.

Is anyone else having the same feeling?
    be free

i got bored of it about 4 months ago, and i actually didnt install t after my last format.

then i came back to poly and my interest got a bit rekindeled.

but this always happens, i play games in cyccles. Unreal Tourney, Starcraft, Red Alert 2, Counter Strike, Civ, etc... i get bored of one and move on for a while.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I'm playing Civ III just like I played Civ II. Play one whole game in a day or two, and then don't play for about two weeks. Repeat this pattern for the next five years or so.

Comment

I've only ever been bored of Civ III for a week. But I do go in cycles. Civ III, SMAC, Shogun Total War, Age of Empires, Half-Life, Emipire Earth, etc.

I'm only into one game at a time. Sometimes I even brush off the dust on some of the games I haven't played in years (played Red Alert again for the first time in years recently). Its only natural that you eventually get bored. And then your interest is rekindled down the track. Even if it takes a couple of years.
        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah same here. Played Civ3 constantly for about 3 weeks, then found Dungeon Seige Played again recently for about a week and now getting into Morrowwind (whoops, thats not released yet ).

But halfway through an interesting game atm and I want to complete it. Playing as Russians and just about catching up to the French and Germans. Been involved in an on/off war with the Chinese for a couple of thousand years but now I have the technological advantage so going to kick them and the Persians off my Continent. I much prefer to play with no land borders. Means no nasty surprises
          Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

I have to say, every game of Civ3 is much like the last one, it lacks a bit of variety. And yes, sometimes I yearn for the adrenaline rush of a good FPS!
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
            Odysseus and the March of Time
            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Cycling games due to boredom same as others.

Civ3 slightly different.

Obsessed with beating AI badly on regent so can move to monarch.

This addiction is as intense as addiction to Civ2 was but not same good feeling as Civ2 was.

Must go back to Civ3 now............................

[rubs bloodshot eyes and downs another coffee, small regular from Dunkin' Donuts of course ]
              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

No.

Comment

I am more upbeat than many about Civ3. It took a while, but now I am really into it, and trying to win regularly on Regent too.

I even tried booting up Civ2 recently, but as soon as I got into pumping out caravans everywhere, it lost interest.

Civ3 sure has its flaws, but I find it more challenging than Civ2, although without the same sense of humour.

Comment

I cycle too.
                    Not just between other games,
                    within civ, I spend 1/3 my time here on apolyton, and then another 1/3 thinking of ways to mod the game and doing so.
                    the last 1/3 I spend playtesting. don't think I've played a full game for its own sake in a while.
                    i cycle in my life away from the computer too but the trails here are pretty sucky.
                    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Cycling sometimes, but a bit of different way. Civ remains my favorite game no matter what. At times, however, I throw it away for a few weeks. During that time I will play AoE2, or something else. Oftentimes, though, I will play two games at the same time.

I have also just discovered Dungeon Siege - now that's a sweet one.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I got bored soon after 1.17f came out, since I had realized that it wasn't a good patch, and had a 4 weeks SMAC/CtP2/other games break. After this, I had a few 1.17f games. Now with 1.21f my interest for Civ3 has entirely returned. I'm altering it with 1-2 other games in the background tho.

Comment

sometimes yes, though usually not

I'm playing civ3 for about 6 months and I got bored after my first deity win 7 weeks ago. I used to play only this game, but now I really need some new diversifications. After I got bored I needed to get some adrenaline out of my body and I've restarted playing X Wing Alliance.

After a non playing period of 4 weeks (longest ever with civ3) I find myself playing and enjoying again, differentiating with maps and civs more frequently than before. I'm sure that PTW will make sure that I'll keep playing, although I don't think civ3 is fantastic.
                          I'm curious for what the competition will come up with. I'd love a civ3 based game, with lots more focus on units and warfare. (to create an 'ultimate' civ-wargame.

But until then: the 1.21 patch has certainly smoothened the gaming experience and ...

what's better at this moment?

AJ
                          " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                          - emperor level all time
                          - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
                            I've only ever been bored of Civ III for a week. But I do go in cycles. Civ III, SMAC, Shogun Total War, Age of Empires, Half-Life, Emipire Earth, etc.
                            Lord Azreal, what is your online name for Shogun. Maybe we can meet for a battle online sometime. I love that game.
                            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I tend to be a cycle player too.

Civ3 could tend to boredom because they went for the "essence" of the game. This means it is less complex and simpler, but it also means there are less choices and strategies. Thus repetition and boredom is much more likely.

Still, it is a civ game, so there are many options built in, even in a simple model. Trying different strategies instead of just your favorite way to play, is good. My latest game I am going 0% science and relentless war, just to try it. I never, never imagined I could have so much gold, and still be caught up in tech!

But if it gets boring, and playing seems like work, just quit! Play should be fun, not some sort of mandate. It will still be there later when you want to come back to it...

This happened to me when I realized Civ3 was giving me consistant, painful headaches, sometimes even after very little playing. I just took a break for a few weeks and was happier.
                              Good = Love, Love = Good
                              Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Working...
                              X