No announcement yet.

AHHHH, i cant RAZE it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I haven't even seen Civ III run with any of the new patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
      Doesn't it seem funny to anybody that some people say they see things happen and others don't?

Like, for instance, Artillery. Some people say the AI uses them offensively, while others (me included) have never seen it.
      Well, I just checked my saves, and the game that was on was deleted, probably a month ago. The closest I had in the directory was a 2 tile island. GRRRR!!!!! (does this mean that I am one of THOSE people? Lump me in with the Tank-Spearmen guys, I guess )

Comment

I've seen 1-tile islands before, but they generally tend to be mountains, so you can't build cities on them.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
          I've seen 1-tile islands before, but they generally tend to be mountains, so you can't build cities on them.
          and those mountains usualy have one of the 3 sources of coal on a map
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Well, I just checked my saves, and the game that was on was deleted, probably a month ago. The closest I had in the directory was a 2 tile island. GRRRR!!!!! (does this mean that I am one of THOSE people? Lump me in with the Tank-Spearmen guys, I guess )
            No, I didn't mean it like that, I just mean that these games seem to have a lot of variation from computer to computer. No, you are not one of THOSE people.
            Yet

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
              and those mountains usualy have one of the 3 sources of coal on a map
              In my newest game the only accessable source of iron is in the middle of a bunch of jungle and mountain spaces, and since my settlers can cross neither, I have to build a ship (and research is going sllloooooowwwww), pick up a settler in another city (not much production in that city), wheel all the way around the continent, and plant a city on the 1 hill space in the middle of a mountain range, then build 2 harbors, and then I'll be able to build swordsmen finally (nearly AD). Bad thing is, I'm currently in a war with Russia (I moved down a small peninsula they were on, and they only have one city left... they should only last a few more turns now ), and there are barbarians EVERYWHERE. Especially ships, which makes it hard to get my boat across to the other side of the continent. Sheesh.

Comment

No, I didn't mean it like that, I just mean that these games seem to have a lot of variation from computer to computer. No, you are not one of THOSE people.
                Yet

well, I will be on guard and keep weird saves. I certainly don't want to become one of THOSE people, who can't back up what they say they've seen in the game.

Comment

atw. Why? Nobody else does.

BTW. I can't access most of my old saves. Pre 1.21f games come up with errors loading.

However, let's throw Tuberski a bone. Tube. Fire up the editor. Open the Huge Earth Map scenario. You'll find 2 single tile islands.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm at work. I'm also NOT doubting you, I see things in my games that nobody else has mentioned. I just think it is strange not AATW.

Geez.

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

No problem Tuberski. Just thought I'd let you know where you could see it.

BTW. Yes, there should be a lot of reports of geography that many people haven't seen. There are 243 different combinations of Land Form, Climate, Temperature, and Age. Throw in World Size and you have 1215 different settings for randomly generated maps.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm at work. I'm also NOT doubting you, I see things in my games that nobody else has mentioned. I just think it is strange not AATW.

Geez.

haha, no big deal man, I know what you were saying.

What I would like to see is a randomly created starting position on a one tile island. That would be fricking hilarious. Of course, it would be so easy to fake.

Comment

There are actually a few ways to assault a 1-tile city.

The first and most obvious is the marines from a transport.

Another way is to nuke the city, and just move your defence unit into the rubble. You probably won't even get pollution from this.

Also, bombarding then finishing the defenders off with cruise missiles is also possible (if you have land close to the city or can transport the missiles).

One final way is if you have set some artillery units to be able to kill off defenders. Then your ships / bombers / artillery could kill the defenders and then you move your unit into the empty city.

All in all though, unless you have a nuke lying around marines would be the way to go.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I see one every few games. And the AIs make straight for them. usually i see lots of 2 tile islands. I put 2 warriors there, one to guard the city, and one for the beaches. No AI marines have ever shown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              There are actually a few ways to assault a 1-tile city.

The first and most obvious is the marines from a transport.

Another way is to nuke the city, and just move your defence unit into the rubble. You probably won't even get pollution from this.

Also, bombarding then finishing the defenders off with cruise missiles is also possible (if you have land close to the city or can transport the missiles).

One final way is if you have set some artillery units to be able to kill off defenders. Then your ships / bombers / artillery could kill the defenders and then you move your unit into the empty city.

All in all though, unless you have a nuke lying around marines would be the way to go.
                              Can any unit unload into an undefended city? I guess it wouldn't be too common to create the situation. But it would be one more argument against lethal bombardment of land units.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                                Can any unit unload into an undefended city?
                                Yes.
                                It's only a matter of whether a unit is present or not (or unless the terrain prohibits certain units to move there).

Comment

Working...
                                X