No announcement yet.

Anyone ever wonder why...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaah, the great great north pole. Did anybody else have this strange bug in Civ 2, where the north pole suddenly erupted into a small all-grassland peninsula which gave insane amounts of food (about 40) per square? It always happened to me in the late game when I had a huge amount of cities.

The amount of pollution was pretty scaring already in a size 1 city there.

Comment

I'd have to see a save file of that, myself...

Antarctica certainly does have mineral riches; it's an entire untapped continent, for crying out loud. One that has spent time in the warmer regions of this planet, at that.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I guess it's agreed then that settling the polar regions is unrealistic given the framework of Civ3. Perhaps in the future we will be able to found cities on the polar caps but for now, in real life as in Civ3, major cities cannot exist comfortably on the poles.

I also agree that in Civ1 and Civ2 settling or sailing along the polar caps was a bit of an exploit.

It sure would be a major pain to try to capture or raze ai cities in Civ3 on the polar caps!
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Ideally, being able to walk around the polar regions (or build cities there) would not be an exploit, becuase:
          * supply rules - they would die, if lacking sufficient technology and logistics.
          * diplomatic aggreements may forbid it.
          * reallistic globe may or may not have land at poles.

Otherwise, the polar regions should not be fundamentally different from the rest of the world. Basically, the wierd effects around the poles in CivII and CivIII are because of underdeveloped supply, map, and diplomacy models. I hope this is eventually fixed.
          "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
            Aaah, the great great north pole. Did anybody else have this strange bug in Civ 2, where the north pole suddenly erupted into a small all-grassland peninsula which gave insane amounts of food (about 40) per square? It always happened to me in the late game when I had a huge amount of cities.

The amount of pollution was pretty scaring already in a size 1 city there.
            The old too much global warming bug. The only thing is I'd usually already maxed out on cities.
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Working...
            X